U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 AM

3,925 posts, read 3,501,471 times

Advertisements

Not that it makes me happy, you understand. I'm plenty warm, but there are things that you need to do to prepare for extreme cold AND a 10 inch snow storm the same time. Mainers know these things.

New Mainers as we are....are figuring them out. One thing we did not get is heater units for the oil and battery on the cars. Getting the vehicle started and running in -10 to -15 temperatures, is quite different than +10 to +15. On the coast, its still only -8, but that's not too different from -10. And Getting the snow blower started and running in those temperatures is also a challenge.

Another is having ropes on the roofs so that snow can be removed in case a thaw dumps rain on the snow. Getting up to a third story roof to Rake in -4 and howling wind is not something that anyone should be doing.

Learning to deal with these things only comes from dealing with them. Nobody is going to tell you these things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 AM

41,478 posts, read 55,687,552 times
Time for us Yankees to relearn how to be Yankees.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:06 AM

6,316 posts, read 12,312,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Learning to deal with these things only comes from dealing with them. Nobody is going to tell you these things.
We tell people these things all the time. Whether or not they pay attention is up to them.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 23,815,501 times
Heater blocks are not necessary unless you have a diesel engine, but they can be beneficial. I lived in Minneapolis for ten years and three in Maine...never used, nor needed, a heater block. The only people I know who have used them all had diesel engines.

I am not sure about small gasoline engines...

The rope on the roof is a good idea.

The two things I learned: walking in the street instead of on the sidewalk...or at least walking on the "grass" next to the sidewalk. A heck of a lot more traction....considering few people actually take the time to not only shovel, but also attempt to de-ice. And, to recognize icy spots and "glide" my feet over them instead of attempting to walk normal. Ice hurts.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:08 AM

793 posts, read 1,209,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

The rope on the roof is a good idea.
Yes, it is....We have a roof rake, but this method actually sounds easier.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 AM

Oil heaters make it much better for the car lubrication, and battery heater the same. Its nice to go out and have a car that is essentially warmed up to begin with, and its much better for the life of the car too.

Been listening to a Toronto classical station on the computer radio. They are complaining about their -24 degree temps and their -40 wind chill factors. I decided to look it up. They are using the centigrade scale.

Its freaking colder in Bar Harbor than Toronto, and Mainers are not complaining---that much!

Dudes! You live in Freakin' Canada. Get over yourselves.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

I am not sure about small gasoline engines...
My Toro Snow Blower took a little while, but it started with the pull start, and I snowblowed the driveway, in -4F with the -22 F wind chill. I was wearing my snow pants, my insultated winter boots, my LL Bean coat liner jacket, and my LL Bean Rugged Ridge Parka, with a pair of Special Made in Maine 3/4 inch thick mittens and finger liners. I was toasty warm.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:30 AM

3,442 posts, read 6,071,695 times
My car hasn't failed to start (yet) on the first turn of the key. I probably am pushing my luck as the battery is at least 3 years old. It's supposed to be 41 here on Monday which I'm sure will bring it's own problems with the melting ice on the roof.

Down on the south shore of MA, where many of my relatives live, they are dealing with blizzard conditions and well over a foot of new snow.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
My car hasn't failed to start (yet) on the first turn of the key. I probably am pushing my luck as the battery is at least 3 years old. It's supposed to be 41 here on Monday which I'm sure will bring it's own problems with the melting ice on the roof.

Down on the south shore of MA, where many of my relatives live, they are dealing with blizzard conditions and well over a foot of new snow.
I have ten inches at my house in BH, to go on the already SITTING 20 inches in some places.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:40 AM

33,372 posts, read 54,821,486 times
It is very pretty outside today.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine