Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 PM

476 posts, read 744,130 times

Advertisements

It looks like we will end up shipping two vehicles to Maine using an auto transport company. Preliminary research indicates that we are probably looking at about $1200 per vehicle.
Does anyone have experience with these outfits / things to look out for, recommendations? We've never shipped any vehicles before, let alone X-country! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 03:45 PM

341 posts, read 669,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
It looks like we will end up shipping two vehicles to Maine using an auto transport company. Preliminary research indicates that we are probably looking at about $1200 per vehicle.
Does anyone have experience with these outfits / things to look out for, recommendations? We've never shipped any vehicles before, let alone X-country! Thanks!
I have done it before,,,2x,,,,I will try and get the names of companies,,,I did it in mid 90s however,,,,How funny you are going from CA to ME,,,,,I am going to MA, NH or ME,,,,probably central MA as I need to be employed,,and will also ship car from Calif................DO NOT DRIVE,,,it is a nightmare from Cali,,,I drove from Los Angeles to Massachusetts last October,,,almost died,,out of shear boredom,,,,

Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 PM

15 posts, read 30,684 times
I'm interested in knowing what companies you used as well, Rhapsodie2014. I'm contemplating shipping my car to ME, but from AL. Thanks-

Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 PM

404 posts, read 774,484 times
When I looked into this a few years ago, it seems the deal is the shipping company you contract with, then puts your car on a board, where truckers going through the area, then contact and claim the pick up for a fee. The lower the fee and the less popular destination, the longer your car's pickup would sit on the board.

I also found that when I wanted to have the car shipped for AL to Maine, I was told I was more likely to get a pick up if my destination was to Boston. I'm relating this to say at the time I thought that would be a pain to go to Boston to get the car, but in retrospect now that I live here....the bus from portland goes right to boston where the cars are dropped and is a very pleasant ride and very affordable.

The person I would have gone with was this person but I elected to tow the car behind the uhaul.
Ginger
Moonlite Auto Transport
Phone: (603) 210-1037

I also should have listened to my neighbor who suggested I sell most my furniture and just get new stuff off craigslist when I got here.....In three years I've replace most of the stuff I should have gotten rid of!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:05 PM

783 posts, read 1,565,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
Ginger
Moonlite Auto Transport
Phone: (603) 210-1037
Hmm, "Ginger, Moonlite Auto Transport." Sounds like the name of a potential Quentin Tarantino movie.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 PM

I was poking around and found this site:

Transport Reviews.com - Ratings and Reviews of Auto Transport Companies - Your Source For Finding a Quality Auto Transporter!

It seems to be an aggregator of reviews related to the vehicle shipping industry. Companies are stack-ranked , and the site includes a method for whittling-down candidates by origin/destination/price. It looks like a good starting point to assist in finding someone to do the job.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 AM

15 posts, read 30,684 times
Even though I'm not the original poster, thanks for the great information!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:12 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,596,530 times
While watching "Shipping Wars" tv show on A&E I saw they were all using Uship

Shipping people bid on your business. You can pick the lowest or best bidder.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
While watching "Shipping Wars" tv show on A&E I saw they were all using Uship

Shipping people bid on your business. You can pick the lowest or best bidder.
Wow! A reality show based on the shipping industry. Amazing!
Thanks for the info. I'll also look into uship.

Pssst… I say we all collaborate, and pitch an exciting, new reality show based on an elite team of international crime-fighters who interact with a world-wide, secret network of foreign operatives under the guise of a Maine relocation forum…

Hey, if one can launch a show called "Shipping Wars", then we can certainly create a show entitled, "Incredible Mainers". I can see it now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine