Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:26 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times

Advertisements

Well, after a few beers today giving up on Super Bowl, I put on some Country tunes via the web & now my g/f has convinced me it is the best music to express moods, good or bad. Haha, so when we finally get up there to ME to move how many folks actually listen country vs mainstream/pop or today's junk which passes as mediocrity music at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 08:54 PM

321 posts, read 486,795 times
I don't enjoy country music, but there are many people in Maine who do. It has been my experience that there are a good number of country music fans in Maine, particularly outside of Portland.

Also, note that Bangor's waterfront concert series brings to town relevant and popular country artists in the summer. You can see a list of past performers on their website. I don't have interest in any of them, but Bangor has hosted a pretty impressive lineup of country musicians over the past couple of years.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:02 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Well, after a few beers today giving up on Super Bowl, I put on some Country tunes via the web & now my g/f has convinced me it is the best music to express moods, good or bad. Haha, so when we finally get up there to ME to move how many folks actually listen country vs mainstream/pop or today's junk which passes as mediocrity music at best.
I have observed that there is a community of music/dance fans who enjoy both kinds of music here in Maine, both Country Music and Western Music.

The Bangor Grange has a monthly suppers / dances and some of those bands are C or W.

Also the Dance Hall in Alton.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:42 PM

147 posts, read 215,519 times
Country is one of the most popular types of music here in Maine. And Bangor Waterfront is in the running for top country music venue at the ACM (academy of country music) awards this year. That is impressive given our competition is in Hollywood, Nashville, and other big name cities. Not too shabby!

Old 02-03-2014, 03:42 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
im a classic rock fan.... now the oldies stations are playing my high school music ..

yes, country is popular in maine ,,,i like the old country classics..

Old 02-03-2014, 05:56 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
I love classic country -- Willie an' Waylon, Johnny Cash, the Hanks (I, II, and III), Patsy Cline, Charlie Daniels, Loretta Lynn, Billy Joe Shaver. I'll even sing along with Eddie Rabbitt or Kenny Rogers if the mood hits me.

But the stuff that passes for country on the radio these days? No. It's Ken and Barbie country.

Hank Williams III Trashville - YouTube

Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,404 times
Good to know, I am a HUGE country fan!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I love classic country -- Willie an' Waylon, Johnny Cash, the Hanks (I, II, and III), Patsy Cline, Charlie Daniels, Loretta Lynn, Billy Joe Shaver. I'll even sing along with Eddie Rabbitt or Kenny Rogers if the mood hits me.

But the stuff that passes for country on the radio these days? No. It's Ken and Barbie country.

Hank Williams III Trashville - YouTube

im with mark...good list of oldies

Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
I agree on old vs new country. The old guys & original stuff prior to the 80s was/is the best. You can't beat the older vets of country like George Strait, Willie, Johnny Cash, etc. I like Dwight Yoakam but that is about as new I get. Folks like Chris Young, Blake Shelton, etc. are ok w/ a few good tunes but gimme that ol' country (& a cold brew ) anyday over today's "modern country", ahem.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,526 times
My husband likes country and he plays it often while I'm making dinner. I thought I was indifferent, but apparently not.

Never fails, every time I hear Charlie Pride sing "Please Help Me I'm Falling" I've got it in my head for the rest of the night. It's rather haunting. Same with Skeeter Davis and "End of the World".

Also, we both get a kick out of an extended country music informercial...The music doesn't tickle us because we're familiar with it. It's the sparkly clothes and big hair that make us smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine