Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:51 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

A cord is 4' tall, by 4' wide, by 8' long.

There are 4 ricks to a cord.

I have never seen firewood sold by weight. I have only seen it sold by cord. I buy firewood by the cord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 05:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorblues View Post
Exactly.

So what species did you get, mostly? Did they tell you?
i asked and he said ... WOOD

then laughed- it was mostly hard-wood, maple and oak

Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Good luck finding a wood guy who has the equipment to weigh his truck and gear and give you a weight slip. Not gonna happen.
I burned wood for over 25 years and bought wood from multiple suppliers. Paid by weight every time. Must be a County thing, but I'm not sure how one scales a load of tree length firewood if not by weight. Plenty of dealers in the County also sell cut and split firewood by weight. There are 3 sets of scales in Houlton alone I can think of where you can weigh a vehicle and they are used for just that purpose. Probably not the case below the Volvo line.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A cord is 4' tall, by 4' wide, by 8' long.

There are 4 ricks to a cord.

I have never seen firewood sold by weight. I have only seen it sold by cord. I buy firewood by the cord.
3 ricks to a cord.

While living in the Caribou area I saw several of the guys selling it by weight, not cord.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:51 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
I burned wood for over 25 years and bought wood from multiple suppliers. Paid by weight every time. Must be a County thing, but I'm not sure how one scales a load of tree length firewood if not by weight. Plenty of dealers in the County also sell cut and split firewood by weight. There are 3 sets of scales in Houlton alone I can think of where you can weigh a vehicle and they are used for just that purpose. Probably not the case below the Volvo line.
Exactly what I was thinking. The County is used to dealing with wood by weight because of the mills. I have never seen firewood sold by weight anywhere else though.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 PM

565 posts, read 935,098 times
Quote:
Don't quite understand how. When you buy by weight you are buying a known measure of wood. It is true no two species of wood weigh the same. The same species can vary depending on where it grows. Tree length wood is not dry kilned and my point is that's how the mills purchase wood. If you purchase 5000 lbs of wood and the delivery person shows you a weigh slip for 5000 lbs, you got what you purchased. At the end of the day, the mass of the wood fiber is what determines the BTU content once the water is removed. the majority of wood suppliers are set up to sell you wood by weight. Do you think they are going to stack it for you to see how big a pile it is?

Lets say they bring you the wood when its not quite dry as it could be, however is cracked at the end and burns in the fire 'good enough'..... So you paid for 5000lbs, however in 6 months when its dry all the way, you only have 4500 lbs to burn. Its too easy for the person to be dishonest, this is why wood is sold by volume.

edit: maybe tree length wood is sold by weight?

Last edited by inthetrees; 02-03-2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,879 times
Right now in my area, on Craigs List, a fellow is advertising pine firewood for $30 a ton. I think this is the first time I've seen it sold by weight. It's always by the cord.
My son-in-law owns a saw mill and he sells 8' logs to paper mills by the ton.

A cord (full cord) is always described as 4' high, 4' wide, and 8' long.
I always like to refer to a cord as 4' high, 16" wide and 24' long. Because that's the way I stack it in my yard.
For example, I need 5 cords of wood to get me through a season. So I like to stack 5 rows, 24 feet long, 4' high.

(I actually cut my wood 24" long because that's what my stove will take so if my rows are 4' high and 24' long, I actually have more than 5 cords)

Another way to buy firewood is by the bundle. My son-in-law recently dropped off 14 bundles of slab wood in my backyard. I estimate there is a little more than a face cord (3 face cords = a full cord) in a bundle. A bundle is usually 8'-9' long and roughly 4' in diameter. He delivered it Jan 3 and today I just used up last of 2 bundles. At $30 a bundle I heated my house in this cold below 0 degree January almost every day and night, for $60.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:49 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Lets say they bring you the wood when its not quite dry as it could be, however is cracked at the end and burns in the fire 'good enough'..... So you paid for 5000lbs, however in 6 months when its dry all the way, you only have 4500 lbs to burn. Its too easy for the person to be dishonest, this is why wood is sold by volume.

edit: maybe tree length wood is sold by weight?
Up North where they've burned wood for many years they don't cut firewood in a month without an R in it. True story!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,526 times
Watch this video and you'll never forget how much a cord of wood is....

Perfect Cord of Wood - YouTube

Read the comments too.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:42 PM

20 posts, read 25,042 times
Quote:
Up North where they've burned wood for many years they don't cut firewood in a month without an R in it. True story!
Interesting . . . The point being you want to dry it for the full summer season, at a minimum? Or am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: