Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:13 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,655,631 times

Advertisements

Maine has one of the most unfriendly attitudes toward businesses in the nation. I dont see a company wanting to do that anytime soon until that changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 AM

423 posts, read 1,931,014 times
if you build skyscrapers in the old port or around congress st it will create a parking problem and traffic- two ills that Portland is largely without

Old 02-08-2014, 09:36 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,223,445 times
"I've always felt like the city lacked a defining structure. It would be nice to see a single, graceful piece of architecture that rose above the rest, but wasn't domineering."

Portlands definitive 'structure' is Casco Bay/Back Cove and city's intimacy with the shoreline. The structure is oriented laterally instead of vertically.

Nothing like a tall building to preserve the ocean view for a chosen few.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"I've always felt like the city lacked a defining structure. It would be nice to see a single, graceful piece of architecture that rose above the rest, but wasn't domineering."

Portlands definitive 'structure' is Casco Bay/Back Cove and city's intimacy with the shoreline. The structure is oriented laterally instead of vertically.

Nothing like a tall building to preserve the ocean view for a chosen few.
the quote of the day, right here!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Perhaps they could employ the architect/developer that swept into Bar Harbor and ruined that quaint and beautiful village from what it had been.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
If there was a need I think it would be done. Though I would like to see something better than what is currently the tallest building in Maine located in Portland..... a low income high-rise.

Franklin towers is hardly something I would call esthetically pleasing and its almost a microcosm of much of what frustrates me with Maine's demographics (Portland Housing Authority provides residency to seniors, disabled persons, and low income individuals. Residents pay a rent equal to 30% of their adjusted income)

Old 02-18-2014, 04:17 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,859 times
You're not doing much much better in Hartford, referring to the original poster. City Place on Asylum Street in Hartford is Connecticut's tallest building. Yet, when you look at the capitol's skyline from East Hartford, it's far from the landmark building it should be. The Connecticut Science Center along I-91 and the Traveler's Tower is going to grab most people's attention first.

I agree about the apartment tower mentioned earlier. THAT is Maine's tallest building? Yikes! I sometime wonder how tall Back Bay Tower on Cumberland Avenue is? It certainly looks better!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:10 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Maine has one of the most unfriendly attitudes toward businesses in the nation. I dont see a company wanting to do that anytime soon until that changes.
Well there is a broad generalization. There are businesses in Maine that don't need skyscrapers for their existence. Maine at least tolerates the tourism "business." Maine doesn't need any skyscrapers. Personally, I don't care for the new mini skyscraper hotel in Bar Harbor and I hear the food is expensive and not tasty. The Quarterdeck had more character imo. If you gotta have skyscrapers, land somewhere else. I think it is safe to say that Mainers are ok with skyscraper lovers moving elsewhere.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:00 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
I loved the Quarterdeck and miss it. Bar Harbor just doesn't have the appeal it once did, say even 15 years ago. I still love Acadia but often just skip downtown altogether. It's becomming another cheesy tee shirt and souvenier spot.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM

506 posts, read 683,819 times
Bar Harbor is nice if you are super rich.......but otherwise I prefer Boothbay Harbor. Love the walkability, views of the harbor and islands, relatively affordable food and accommodations and a much closer drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine