Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:33 PM

719 posts, read 986,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Well, you could also check out N. CA., where there are many rural towns, of both political persuasions, and is very quiet. Though, I completely understand what you mean re: In California, there is an entitlement mentality as well as live anyway you wish even if it harms someone else It's actually quite surreal at times-the attitude and resulting reality that you mention, from my decade plus of living in so cal. Just a mention, I've known people who have made very drastic moves, to the polar opposite of what they hate or have grown tired/frustrated with, and it proves to be too extreme. You may want some population and amenities within driving distance-lol. Good luck!
I just want to second the suggestion on Northern California. I have looked there myself for work, though I hear that the Redding area is quite depressed overall. It's extremely beautiful there -- especially when you begin to dramatically climb out of the Central Valley towards Mount Shasta. Towns like Dunsmuir, Mt. Shasta and Yreka are as charming and high-Victorian as they come. And, of course, the region is emphatically conservative, having recently revived a 1940s era effort to break secede from the rest of the state. I wish them well in that endeavor, but don't personally believe it will succeed unless they seize their freedom by force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 PM

468 posts, read 799,128 times
I haven't lived in both but I have been to both and my husband is applying for jobs in both currently. I find them to be very different. Wyoming is "grander" and in some areas, far more desolate but with still with beauty. Maine, to me, is more comforting because it is greener and it is still quite beautiful. Both have the opportunity to live they way we love...hunting, hiking, skiing, growing our own (likely easier in Maine) etc.

I love them both but I love them very differently.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 PM

678 posts, read 1,064,572 times
I've lived in Wyoming and it's conservative and the people are respectful, there seems to be a prevailing, "if you don't mess with me I won't mess with you" attitude which is great because even if people don't like you they'll respect you, at least that was my experience. It can be a bit of a culture shock because there literally is no one around when you get out of town but if you're okay with that it is extremely relaxing. The winters can get long but if you're okay with that at you stay active in the community then you won't have any issues getting through them.

I have not been to Maine, I do have a couple of relatives that live there and they've been there for a while. I could imagine that it gets really snowy and I would guess that it's has just as much natural beauty as Wyoming.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
... I've known people who have made very drastic moves, to the polar opposite of what they hate or have grown tired/frustrated with, and it proves to be too extreme.
Find one example of a person who did a polar-opposite move and hated it; and there will be another example who loved it.

I am from California. I grew-up near Yosemite. For pretty pictures I prefer Yosemite to Wyoming, or to Maine.

Scenic or majestic views only lift your spirit if you can see them everyday.

While I think that the views in Yosemite are the best, the fact that I can not live there means that I can not see them everyday.

If you were in Wyoming living under the shadow of such a peak, then great, you can see it every day. I seriously doubt that many do live there, on that abandoned farm.

In fairness, I do not live where I can see Katahdin either.

I chose to live amidst dense forest. Every morning I see green trees. Did I mention they are green? The grass here is green too. It is green in April, and it remains green in July. We do not have droughts here like are so common out West.

A constant threat of forest fires? No. Wells going dry? No.

However very few people live in Yosemite. Very few people live in the shadow of that Wyoming peak either.

I have also lived in Northern Cali. I attended college at Mendocino for a couple years, and milked goats there. I have relatives who still live in Northern Cali. They like it, their biggest complaint is the droughts. The grasses on the hills turn brown and die every April. Wells go dry every year. It is a tinder-box waiting for a spark.

Quote:
... You may want some population and amenities within driving distance-lol. Good luck!
That could be an issue.

Anyone who chose to live in a place where it took many hours to reach a city, then the driving distance would be a constant obstacle.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:34 AM

21 posts, read 20,662 times
Interesting topic. I have also been considering both states for possible relocation. Here are my thoughts.

Geography: Love that Maine has a coast line. I love the idea of being able to go to beaches in a state that isn't over populated that are still in their natural state and not overly commercialized. The prospect of being able to drop a sailboat in the water and just take off also is very appealing. Both states are beautiful. Love the mountains but between mountains and ocean I would take ocean. Wyoming is very windy and dry. I like green and in Wyoming that means you are looking at the far west of the state or perhaps the northeast near South Dakota. Finding land with water in Wyoming is going to cost you. In Maine that isn't an issue. Really can't go wrong with either but for me Maine wins out.

Taxes: Advantage here goes to Wyoming hands down.

Economy: Job opportunities seem to be limited in both. In Wyoming mostly because of the sparse population. I work in IT and there doesn't seem to be many options in either state. I would have to look at some other sources of income like rental property and then perhaps open up my own small business. Between the two I think I could do ok. Advantage Wyoming I think.

Politics: I'm neither conservative or liberal. I'm libertarian which stinks in a way because there is no "ideal" place for us libertarians. Liberals can go to California or New York and pretty much have the politics that appeal to them. Conservatives have the bible belt. For libertarians who want minimal taxes and maximum freedom both in the personal and economic arena the options are really limited and you pretty much have to pick your poison. Wyoming appeals to me due to its low population which generally means having less authoritarians around and I like the low taxes and strong gun rights. Could be better, could be worse. Maine I'm not really sure about. Seems to have more bureaucracy at the local levels from what I've read but maybe if you get out away from the populated areas you can get away from that? In Wyoming you don't need to jump through a bunch of hoops to build on your land. How does Maine compare? To me I think it speaks well of Maine that they came within one vote of passing Constitutional carry, have a strong local foods movement, and don't seem too authoritarian when it comes to cannabis. Would like to hear other opinions.

Land Availability: Good property seems to be much cheaper in Maine and I'm talking rural property here. You can get cheap land in Wyoming but you're going to be in the desert. Great view but not much in the way of trees and grass. No thanks! Advantage Maine.

People: I think there is a greater difference in rural vs urban than east vs west. Think you could do much worse than either state in terms of the quality of people. Both have low crime rates.

Recreation: If you love the outdoors (and I do) then both states rock. Love to hunt and fish and I would be in paradise in either state. Again Maine has the advantage of coastal access which is very appealing.

Weather: Both are colder than a witches tit in the winter. I'm a southern boy so will have to toughen up and adapt. If dealing with harsh winters is the price to pay to keep out the riff raff of masses of people moving in and telling me how to live my life that is a price I would gladly pay.

On balance I'm leaning toward Maine.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
... Geography: Love that Maine has a coast line. I love the idea of being able to go to beaches in a state that isn't over populated that are still in their natural state and not overly commercialized. The prospect of being able to drop a sailboat in the water and just take off also is very appealing. Both states are beautiful. Love the mountains but between mountains and ocean I would take ocean. Wyoming is very windy and dry. I like green and in Wyoming that means you are looking at the far west of the state or perhaps the northeast near South Dakota. Finding land with water in Wyoming is going to cost you. In Maine that isn't an issue. Really can't go wrong with either but for me Maine wins out.
3,000+ miles of coast line is a big plus.

I had no problem finding and buying river frontage land.

Quote:
... Taxes: Advantage here goes to Wyoming hands down.
Hmm.

I am on pension, I do not earn a high enough income to pay income taxes. So I can not comment much on income taxes, since I do not pay any.

My property taxes are very low.

Quote:
... Economy: Job opportunities seem to be limited in both. In Wyoming mostly because of the sparse population. I work in IT and there doesn't seem to be many options in either state. I would have to look at some other sources of income like rental property and then perhaps open up my own small business. Between the two I think I could do ok. Advantage Wyoming I think.
Long-term depressed economy does make it difficult for anyone who still needs to work.

I am from California. During my career we traveled a lot, and we owned homes in many places. We never experienced living anywhere that had a cost-of-living as low as it is here in Maine.

Quote:
... Politics: ... Wyoming appeals to me due to its low population which generally means having less authoritarians around and I like the low taxes and strong gun rights. Could be better, could be worse. Maine I'm not really sure about.
Easily ranked in the top 5 nationwide for gun laws. Open Carry is allowed [no permit required]. CCW is 'shall issue'. Full-auto is fairly popular, as are silencers.

What holds us 'back' is that we do not have strongly written 'castle doctrine', nor 'stand-your-ground' laws.

Quote:
... Seems to have more bureaucracy at the local levels from what I've read but maybe if you get out away from the populated areas you can get away from that? In Wyoming you don't need to jump through a bunch of hoops to build on your land. How does Maine compare? To me I think it speaks well of Maine that they came within one vote of passing Constitutional carry, have a strong local foods movement, and don't seem too authoritarian when it comes to cannabis. Would like to hear other opinions.
I have not had any problems building my house.

52% of the towns of Maine are so rural that they do not have any town governments. My town decided to burn their town charter in the 1970s to drop their taxes. So far 40 towns have done this.

11 towns have passed Food Sovereignty laws.

Maine is one of very few states that has more farms each year, and more Farmer's Markets each year. Nationwide there are less farms each year.

Quote:
... Land Availability: Good property seems to be much cheaper in Maine and I'm talking rural property here. You can get cheap land in Wyoming but you're going to be in the desert. Great view but not much in the way of trees and grass. No thanks! Advantage Maine.
I agree.

We got 150 acres with river frontage, basically for a song. We were really surprised at how low property taxes are here.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:50 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post

Politics: I'm neither conservative or liberal. I'm libertarian which stinks in a way because there is no "ideal" place for us libertarians. Liberals can go to California or New York and pretty much have the politics that appeal to them. Conservatives have the bible belt. For libertarians who want minimal taxes and maximum freedom both in the personal and economic arena the options are really limited and you pretty much have to pick your poison. Wyoming appeals to me due to its low population which generally means having less authoritarians around and I like the low taxes and strong gun rights. Could be better, could be worse. Maine I'm not really sure about. Seems to have more bureaucracy at the local levels from what I've read but maybe if you get out away from the populated areas you can get away from that? In Wyoming you don't need to jump through a bunch of hoops to build on your land. How does Maine compare? To me I think it speaks well of Maine that they came within one vote of passing Constitutional carry, have a strong local foods movement, and don't seem too authoritarian when it comes to cannabis. Would like to hear other opinions.
Yay a fellow Libertarian!!! We will make our move eventually to as far downeast as you can go. Lot's of great folks on here.

I wish you luck on your choice wherever it may lead!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM

191 posts, read 287,384 times
I have lived in Wyoming and been to Maine. I like big mountains. In Wyoming there are a lot of public lands. In Maine, only 1% of the land is public. I would choose Wyoming. For the type of people that live in Wyoming, being near a big city is bad thing. I would hate to be that close to the northeast cities.

Last edited by 1984; 08-19-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine