Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 02:01 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

I am presently living in NM, and although I checked it out carefully before moving here, I considered it a penultimate rather than an ultimate relocation area as I am so much an East Coast person.

I had thought of relocating to Belfast, but was discouraged by Maine's weather and the remoteness to airports, and some typical services. However, as the world is always different than one anticipates, my part of the world is as remote to the airport (150 or more miles) and services (about 70 miles) as Belfast would have been and might be more to my liking as it is coastal, and feels more than home to a former New England resident.

I've been to Belfast, about a half dozen times, as a tourist, stayed either in a B&B or with a friend (in Liberty) and felt it was cosy, offered some of the amenities I like (good library, some galleries, food co-op, etc) -- but wonder what Mainers in the area might think of this is a logical choice for a recent retiree, female and on my own.

Any insight appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 09:24 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
Belfast is a nice town. For some time it has been home to a large MBNA credit card center. However, now that MBNA has been bought out by Bank of American, there are predictions that after the fall elections, there will be a new wave of firings and closings of the old MBNA infrastructure in Maine, and some are predicting that the Belfast operation will close. If this happens, Belfast will lose an awful lot of employment and per capita income. Still a nice town, but with an awful lot more dependence on tourism at least for a while.

You might try and look at Blue Hill. My wife believes that if she were alone that is where she would want to be.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the response. I was afraid I'd hear from no one as little Belfast probably is more remote for some of those interested in relocating.

I will be heading over to Maine in the coming Spring, and will probably re-familiarize myself with other little villages in the county area. I have a few acquaintances up Blue Hill---thanks to your wife for her suggestion.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:19 PM

439 posts, read 721,546 times
Belfast is very artsy-lots of galleries, and relies on tourism.
Pleasant town, not far from Camden, Rockland and Bucksport.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:09 PM

Thanks, CelticLion, I am familiar with Maine, just haven't lived in the State.

Appreciate your reply to my 'umble appeal

Old 10-23-2006, 07:00 PM

35 posts, read 97,943 times
You may want to consider Eastport, which is far east and on the Bay of Fundy. It is just beautiful, with oceanview property at a very reasonable price. From June through November it is whale watching season and what a beautiful sight.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:33 PM

Thanks, Trom, I don't believe I've been to Eastport, and you make it sound beautiful.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,647 times
Hmmmmmmmmmm....you say you are living in NM?

My husband and I own a place about 15 minutes outside of Belfast. We fell in love with the area years ago. It's quaint, friendly and clean. I'm not a fan of winter so we will probably never live there year round. We were thinking New Mexico in the winter? Any suggestions? Perhaps we should swap!

Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 AM

Tell me more!

And ask some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmosaicart View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm....you say you are living in NM?

My husband and I own a place about 15 minutes outside of Belfast. We fell in love with the area years ago. It's quaint, friendly and clean. I'm not a fan of winter so we will probably never live there year round. We were thinking New Mexico in the winter? Any suggestions? Perhaps we should swap!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Tell me more!

And ask some questions!
Where in NM are you located? We really want something a bit warmer than what we have here on the East Coast. Presently we live in Southern New Jersey and spend as much time (spring, summer, fall) at our house in Maine. It would be great if we could find a spot in New Mexico or Arizona that would enable us to spend Jan-March and enjoy warmner temps and sunshine and then head back to Maine for the other 3 seasons. We explored Albq. to Taos a few years ago and fell in love with it. Any spots you can suggest in Southern NM that would be warm or at least warmer than what we are used to.

As a part time resident of the Belfast area I can say it is a lovely town and has the basics and a bit more. It's a very artsy community, with a very active theater and several art galleries. Even in the summer it has a much slower pace than the other Rt 1 coastal tourist stops. (Perhaps that's because RT 1 does not go thru the center of town! A good thing!) I do enjoy the fact that you can get a decent meal as late as 10pm, even in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine