Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,856 times

Advertisements

Life's always a lOT more interesting anywhere there's water !!!! Maine has a long coast. Florida is almost ALL coast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Pirates!! Maine also had a bit of "piracy" in the coves and inlets that exists to some extent today. Large amounts of Marijuana have come in, in fishing boats over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM

264 posts, read 397,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
In support of the notion that Mainers have historically been open to new ideas and tolerant of ideas that were considerably out of the main stream, I reference a book I am reading entitled "Exploring the Spirit of Maine--A Seekers Guide" by Karen Wentworth Batignani. It explores the great diversity of religious thought and practice that took root and still exists in Maine, from the Swedenborgens, to Shakers, Bahai, Roman Catholic, Buddhism, Pagans and Shamans, New Thought and Spiritualists. In addition Universalists and Unitarians have fared well and at times have been "mainstream" in Maine. It is a tribute to Maine that it has been a safe harbor for all kinds of beliefs and ideas and I think that relates to a liberal attitude that has existed in Maine historically.
There is also a very large Jewish community in Portland.

The KKK was also fairly active in Maine. The abuse of Roman Catholics during the 1920's is fairly well documented. I believe the KKK staged a parade in Brownville Junction during the early 1920's. Leans a little more to the reactionary element that also existed in the state.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:55 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
and Bangor.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post

The KKK was also fairly active in Maine. The abuse of Roman Catholics during the 1920's is fairly well documented. I believe the KKK staged a parade in Brownville Junction during the early 1920's. Leans a little more to the reactionary element that also existed in the state.
The KKK was considered fashionable in the early 1900's.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The KKK was considered fashionable in the early 1900's.
Who considered the KKK fashionable?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
the state (government) is maines largest employer
i think biw is the second largest (union)
and maine has its share of welfare...
so, add all these left-leaning factions together, along with most unions,,including teachers/professors, and there you have why maine can be viewed as liberal.
the ideals of liberalism, can be honorable,,until you look at the fine details and government involvement.
for example, on the surface universal healthcare sounds honorable, everyone is covered , and who wouldnt be for that?
then you look a little deeper,,if government controls this, you know it will be filled with inefficiency and fraud, look at the government welfare system, only 17 cents out of every welfare dollar actually hits the recipient, the other 83 cents,, is absorbed in the government "process"
and then you have to add human nature, and creating a system, dependent on government, not themselves
at present, there are many programs available for lower income folks, unemployment, welfare, wic, foodstamps, and on and on,,
these programs are, or were set up for a helping hand,,which is very honorable, but because of human nature and fraud, the folks that really need the welfare, have very little.
my father once told me years ago, there is no such thing as free,,if you are getting something for free, then someone else is paying for it.
the politicians,, spend monies we dont have, and spend and spend and spend,,its hideous,
we (the u.s.) has a 9 trillion dollar debt,,, do you hear any presidential candidate talking about it?? no way!!! they are actually talking of programs to drive us deeper in debt!! trying to buy votes,,,with monies we dont have. its disgusting!!
(stepping off soapbox)

i believe the perception of what is conservative/liberal has changed thru the years.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

i believe the perception of what is conservative/liberal has changed thru the years.
In what ways?

The BIW is Maine's largest private employer, and although the shipyard workers are unionized, the business of building ships for war is not exactly a liberal concept. The private ownership of the BIW was always conservative, and I suspect General Dynamics also leans in that direction. The politics of Bath has pretty much always been Republican and conservative controlled.

Last edited by Parrotpaul; 12-05-2007 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 05:10 PM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times
My grandmother told me that a delegation of the KKK attended Sen Brewster's funeral in full regalia. But he was buried in Dexter and she lived in Portland, so her memory was probably based on newspaper reports, altho I remember her talking as if she had seen it--but that is more a tribute to her story telling than any eye witness factual account.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
My grandmother told me that a delegation of the KKK attended Sen Brewster's funeral in full regalia. But he was buried in Dexter and she lived in Portland, so her memory was probably based on newspaper reports, altho I remember her talking as if she had seen it--but that is more a tribute to her story telling than any eye witness factual account.
Brewster was a little right of Attila the Hun. He died in Massachusetts in 1961. I think reports of the Klan attending his funeral in full regalia might have been a bit exaggerated.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:31 PM

62 posts, read 292,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the state (government) is maines largest employer
i think biw is the second largest (union)
and maine has its share of welfare...
so, add all these left-leaning factions together, along with most unions,,including teachers/professors, and there you have why maine can be viewed as liberal.
the ideals of liberalism, can be honorable,,until you look at the fine details and government involvement.
for example, on the surface universal healthcare sounds honorable, everyone is covered , and who wouldnt be for that?.
agreed, it could probably be done better. the difference is, liberals believe that things like education and health care are basic human rights. we don't believe these things should be tied in with any kind of profit making because then servicing people is second to making a profit. i understand your gripe here with wasting money but the same can be said for private businesses. we all know that corporate welfare exists and i would say that is a bigger problem. so the biggest difference i see between liberals and conservatives is that most liberals agree that we have a responsibility to care for our fellow man (beast and environment too ). i don't think conservative thoughts are all bad, but they just don't include all people in "the plan". we liberals believe that all people should be protected by the law to have access to basic things like food, housing, and health care. it is those with "smaller" voices (the elderly, those with disabilities, children, sometimes women etc.) that we look to protect. there will always be a certain percentage of abuse, it's not perfect. like you, i truly hope for a better country in the future.

respectfully
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine