Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:16 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I've yet to show an house with an above ground pool where my buyers didn't ask me, "will they remove that if we buy the house?"
Exactly, That has been our reaction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 02:18 PM

DP and I are thinking a pool is not at all high on our priority list and probably our use of it wouldnt justify the expense and the use of yard space. It was fun to think about but probably not in the cards.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:19 PM

I THANK YOU all for the input that really did help us decide!!!!!

waiting 60 seconds; 17 more seconds

Old 12-05-2007, 02:24 PM

264 posts, read 397,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I made an offer on a house with a pool. One of my stipulations was that the pool be properly maintained until the closing.

Unfortunately, it appears that no further maint. was done since I made the offer (in July). The owners vacated the property at some time after we made the offer. When I learned that the property was vacant I went to check it out, they apparently took the pump motor with them, as well as the sump pump from the basement.

The seller's agent had represented to us that the pool had been properly taken care of, which was not true. The deal has still not closed. He has also said that the house was winterized, I have to wonder if it really was.

While I had not been specifically looking for a pool, the fact that one was there figured into my offer. I'm not particularly happy at this point.
Did you hire a professional inspector to go into the property and thoroughly check it out? Carpenter ants are plentiful in Maine, and they can do significant damage that you might not be able to see. The inspector will check the wiring, the plumbing, heating system, the structural aspects of the house...roof, eaves, basement or crawl space, all the carrying timbers, plaster or sheetrock, and whatever else might cause problems and expense down the road. He will be able to see dry rot, leaks, or any other damage that is not in plain view.

It is well worth your while to hire a professional to inspect the property and file a written report. The final contact should probably be contingent on the report. If these people have already promised they would maintain a pool but never stood behind their word, what else might they try to cover up or hide?

Spring for the independent inspector and sleep much better knowing what the place is really like.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:34 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
Did you hire a professional inspector to go into the property and thoroughly check it out? Carpenter ants are plentiful in Maine, and they can do significant damage that you might not be able to see. The inspector will check the wiring, the plumbing, heating system, the structural aspects of the house...roof, eaves, basement or crawl space, all the carrying timbers, plaster or sheetrock, and whatever else might cause problems and expense down the road. He will be able to see dry rot, leaks, or any other damage that is not in plain view.

It is well worth your while to hire a professional to inspect the property and file a written report. The final contact should probably be contingent on the report. If these people have already promised they would maintain a pool but never stood behind their word, what else might they try to cover up or hide?

Spring for the independent inspector and sleep much better knowing what the place is really like.
I am better than most of the inspectors whose reports I have seen, but my lender requires a "professional" inspection so, yes, we have one on tap who will do his thing when the contract gets finalized.

The problem is that due to the negligence and misrepresentation, I am going to be looking for price concessions. This whole deal is turning into a horror show.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:11 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
""will they remove that if we buy the house?"

They sure will, just as soon as that 40 ton round ice cube thaws.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 PM

323 posts, read 992,691 times
Elston, here in Scottsdale we have a pool and while it is so much fun in the summer, it is a pain to maintain. Something is always needing replaced or fixed like hoses, pool cleaner machine etc. So, IMO I would much rather have a hot tub, drink wine and take in the views.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:31 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
I made an offer on a house with a pool. One of my stipulations was that the pool be properly maintained until the closing.

Unfortunately, it appears that no further maint. was done since I made the offer (in July). The owners vacated the property at some time after we made the offer. When I learned that the property was vacant I went to check it out, they apparently took the pump motor with them, as well as the sump pump from the basement.

The seller's agent had represented to us that the pool had been properly taken care of, which was not true. The deal has still not closed. He has also said that the house was winterized, I have to wonder if it really was.

While I had not been specifically looking for a pool, the fact that one was there figured into my offer. I'm not particularly happy at this point.
Zymer,

Did your Buyer Agent ask for the pool and equipment in Paragraph 4 of the Purchase and Sale Agreement (Personal Property)? An above ground pool and it's equipment is Personal Property and if you did not specifically spell it out in the Purchase and Sale Agreement, the Seller is entitled to take it. On the other hand, the sump pump is a fixture and needs to stay with the house or be replaced with something of equal or greater value.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Zymer,

Did your Buyer Agent ask for the pool and equipment in Paragraph 4 of the Purchase and Sale Agreement (Personal Property)? An above ground pool and it's equipment is Personal Property and if you did not specifically spell it out in the Purchase and Sale Agreement, the Seller is entitled to take it. On the other hand, the sump pump is a fixture and needs to stay with the house or be replaced with something of equal or greater value.
WhoFan- yes, it was specifically included in the agreement, and also specified that the pool would be properly maintained until closing.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:38 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
I am better than most of the inspectors whose reports I have seen, but my lender requires a "professional" inspection so, yes, we have one on tap who will do his thing when the contract gets finalized.

The problem is that due to the negligence and misrepresentation, I am going to be looking for price concessions. This whole deal is turning into a horror show.
OK, now I'm confused, I thought you made the offer in July. Are you and the seller under contract or still negotiating terms? If you are under contract, Paragraph 13 stipulates how many days from the Effective Date (Date both parties are in agreement) the Buyer has to perform inspections and notify the Seller. If this period has elapsed, you have no choice but to honor the contract and purchase the property or default and put your earnest money deposit at risk. If there was a sump pump when you made your inspection, there must be one there at closing. If you are not under contract, you are in good position. Has your agent been sending you alternatives to jump to if you walk on this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: