Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:30 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times

Advertisements

if welfare pays so well, and it's so easy to get,.... where's my check? J/K all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:02 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
I think it's important to understand we are really all saying the same thing. You cannot necessarily compare overall general tax information to make specific judgments for or against an entire state with respect to taxes or tax burden.

Every state has a tax structure that they use to deceptively extract enough monies from the people to run that state. That tax structure can be intertwined with municipal taxes and such. Basically every state has its own tax quagmire.

Forest has done what every red blooded American should do. Decipher that tax quagmire and use to your own advantage. I will be the first to admit that his plan would not work for me. It’s probably why I lean towards the side of feeling like I am over taxed.

Bottom line is where ever you are and where ever you plan to go you just have compare apples to apples as much as possible.

If you want to come to Maine you have to understand there are many different areas to the state that represent many different life styles and many different standards of living and different taxes.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:22 PM

35 posts, read 202,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I did offer to compare mil rates.

You declined.
How would comparing MIL rates solve this argument. Did you even read my posts? MIL rate is one tax of many.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:29 AM

40 posts, read 97,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Maine has a 5 year limit but doesn't inforce it (as of 2 years ago). I have had more exposer to people on welfare then I would "think" most else on this forum. IMO it is very much abused. It has become a significant part of Maine's economy. TONS of jobs depend on it.
Mainers are better off using the welfare system as they get the equivilent of 60K per year. The state doesn't attract high paying jobs. I don't blame them. Who wants to work for $7-$10 per hour which is considered high paying in maine. As a taxpayer...I don't mind feeding and clothing fellow americans. It's merely a tiny portion of taxpayer dollars and much more tax dollars are wasted on things less important than feeding fellow americans. Happy to support fellow Americans and Grateful that I don't have to use the Welfare system myself as I'm fortunate enough to have a great career.

Last edited by mainer2; 12-10-2007 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-10-2007, 10:44 AM

40 posts, read 97,894 times
Default Exactly

This is exactly right. They're better off using the system...otherwise they wouldn't ever be able to get by. Heating oil is $1000 per month...health care for a family plan is $1400 per month....rent, mortgage, auto ins., car payment and add food to that...it's impossible for most mainers.. They can work and never, ever get by....they'd freeze and starve w/ out help. There just aren't jobs available in the Northern part of the state to support a family...God Bless them. They should take full advantage and get the state to pay for nursing school or some sort of career in the medical field as those are about the only decent paying careers w/ a need. Maine needs to attract better employers by lowering the tax burden for prospective employers. Many companies consider Maine as the work force is incredible. They then look at the tax burden...and RUN the other way. There is NO incentive for a corporation to bring decent jobs to Maine...AT ALL. The few that do choose Northern Maine get voted out by elderly folks beyond working age...that don't want new business or any change in Maine. Working age folks need to Vote. Catch 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I don't now if this forum will accept formatted columns, but we are about to find out.

- - -

talk about a disincentive; These numbers are nearly three years old. They are higher now.
These are the numbers for the benefits available for a
Single Mom with 2 children making minimum wage in Maine.

Benefit Hourly Weekly Annually
Min Wage $6.50 $260 $13,520
ASPIRE $6.25 $250 $13,000
Food Stamps $2.50 $100 $5,200
TANF $2.88 $115 $5,980
MaineCare $6.25 $250 $13,000
Misc Reimb. $1.00 $40 $2,080 Transportation, Clothes, Auto Repair…
Federal Taxes $2.27 $91 $4,716 Earned Income Credit
State Taxes $0.00 $0 $0
Social Security Taxes ($0.50) ($20) ($1,034) Pay 7.65% SS

hourly weekly annually
NET INCOME AFTER TAXES $27.15 $1,086 $56,462
Including State Paid Benefits

Old 12-10-2007, 10:45 AM

I'd like to see the facts that show welfare recipients are getting 60k a year in benefits. We don't even qualify for food stamps (I applied for LIHEAP they automatically sent in a form to the Food stamp program). I can't get Mainecare either as our income from Soc Sec is "too high". All of our prescriptions, glasses, dental etc. must be paid out of pocket. I broke a tooth recently, $62 to exray and look at it, tomorrow I go to have it removed (I can't afford to cap it), that's $182. Just trying to find a dentist that will see you without insurance is difficult, if they will take you, they want full payment at the time of the appointment. That's a lot of money for some of us. I know there are people in far worse situations as well that aren't eligable for help. It's hard to ask for help when you need it, harder still to be told there's no help available.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:50 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer2 View Post
This is exactly right. They're better off using the system...otherwise they wouldn't ever be able to get by. Heating oil is $1000 per month...health care for a family plan is $1400 per month....rent, mortgage, auto ins., car payment and add food to that...it's impossible for most mainers.. They can work and never, ever get by....they'd freeze and starve w/ out help. There just aren't jobs available in the Northern part of the state to support a family...God Bless them. They should take full advantage and get the state to pay for nursing school or some sort of career in the medical field as those are about the only decent paying careers w/ a need. Maine needs to attract better employers by lowering the tax burden for prospective employers. Many companies consider Maine as the work force is incredible. They then look at the tax burden...and RUN the other way. There is NO incentive for a corporation to bring decent jobs to Maine...AT ALL. The few that do choose Northern Maine get voted out by elderly folks beyond working age...that don't want new business or any change in Maine. Working age folks need to Vote. Catch 22.
you say,,they look at the tax burden and the businesses run,,and also state,, that more people should take advantage of the system
wtf????
perhaps the tax burden is so high,,BECAUSE so many folks are using the system..

and i completely disagree with you take on why would anyone work for 7-10 an hr,,,,, just give up suck off the state nipple..where do you think taxes come from??? is everything FREE to you,,?
when you give something free to someone,,you are taking it away from someone else,,,

Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 AM

" you must spread some yada yada" good post MBM

Old 12-10-2007, 11:06 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer2 View Post
Mainers are better off using the welfare system as they get the equivilent of 60K per year...
Was this the first number you pulled out of your hat? because it truly is that random....

Old 12-10-2007, 11:36 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Until someone can pull up some reputable sources for these "facts" of people recieving welfare that is upwards (in value) of $60,000 a year, I'm going to go along not believing it. Show me the proof!

Even with the itemized list previously posted, there are great inaccuracies. Just because these programs are *potentially* available to help limited income people does not mean that they can take advantage of them all, nor does it mean that they are all going to recieve the maximum benefit from those programs.

What about senior citizens who are recieving food stamps, MaineCare, subsidized housing and heat assistance? Should they also "just give up suck off the state nipple"? Get out there and find jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine