Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

The show is available on Hulu.com for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 06:09 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I found it odd that even tho the shows name is downeast dickering none of the cast lives downeast. One from Sangerville and most from southern Maine. In fact the older gent with the cowboy hat sounds like he comes from Louisiana. I'll still watch for a while anyway....lol

I watched the episodes of DD on Hulu and I thought the same thing and then thought of this:

Maine justice / Jamie fox - YouTube

Old 04-19-2014, 02:09 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I have it programed on the DVR so I don't miss it when I'm working. I like seeing Maine when everything is green. I like North Woods Law better. Some of those game wardens are hot hot hot. Until it comes on again I'll have to be happy with those glimpses of Maine on DD.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:29 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
I live very near Sangerville so was surprised that I hadn't seen the camera crews around. I assume they filmed last summer. haven't seen any landmarks yet either except the paint ball club.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I've watched it a couple times---entertaining, but I thought the accents and the eccentricities were played up a little bit. My husband, who is a native Downeaster, thought a lot of it was contrived and made Mainers look like impaired hillbillies. I like the whole Uncle Henry's wheeling and dealing. I do ebay and Craiglists sales so that whole element appealed to me. And characters are always welcome to me!
Now you know how I feel when those idiots on "Lizzard Lick Towing" pollute the airwaves. It create a myth that North Carolinians are inbred morons. At least 4 felonies occur each show. I do like the "Down East Dickering" show though, makes me feel like I am in Maine for an hour a week. Regardless of the theatrics, I too like to get out and trade and barter. At least these guys have yet to take advantage of older people like the "American Pickers" guys. I was in Daytona Bike week last month and because I delve in Indian Motorcycles, I had a chance to meet him (Mike) and I passed. The "Down East" guys appear to be on the level. I hate having to leave the Red Sox though to watch. Maybe when the kids are over for Easter dinner I'll get them to show me how to do that recording thingy. I think I have seen Uncle Henry's online?

Old 04-19-2014, 05:40 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I understand what your husband is saying. Buckwild was not typical West Virginians and some locals know some of it was contrived. I've never seen anything quite like the Mountain Monster guys on Destination America either, although I have heard of a couple of the "monsters" they have gone searching for. They are far from typical West Virginians.

There's nothing quite like Uncle Henry's down here. Swap & Sell publications are more localized. Uncle Henry's is just one more thing that is unique about Maine.
Correct mensaguy, I spend a great bit of time in West by God Virginia, and have yet to see hoards of unwashed minions walking the street looking to wreak havoc on the masses. The West Virginians I know are kind, loyal and fiercely proud of their state. I am proud to call one of them my best friend. I'm headed up there tomorrow for Easter.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Yeah, it's online. Uncle Henry's You have to pay for complete access, but you can indeed do some shopping on the site for free.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:45 PM

157 posts, read 327,797 times
As a new (seasonal) transplant to Downeast Maine in Jonesport- I found the "Dickering" show both educational and entertaining.

The show helped me to Practice my Mainah accent
I watched this past wednesday episode about tearing down the "bahn" and dickering for Father's birthday party event held at the Ramada. Then it struck me- was that the Ramada in Ellsworth, yes or no?

Although originally born and raised in Maryland I think its fun to barter, still unclear what distinguishes bartering form dickering.

I was playing around with online version of Uncle Henry's but didn't see many ads for (my locale) like Jonesport, Machias, Lubec etc (within 30-45 ") Washington County.

Does the surrounding Jonesport area use a different classified ads publication?
Or maybe its pure word of mouth?

In advance thx a lot !
Have a great weekend all!

Old 05-03-2014, 04:17 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
As a new (seasonal) transplant to Downeast Maine in Jonesport- I found the "Dickering" show both educational and entertaining.

The show helped me to Practice my Mainah accent
I watched this past wednesday episode about tearing down the "bahn" and dickering for Father's birthday party event held at the Ramada. Then it struck me- was that the Ramada in Ellsworth, yes or no?

Although originally born and raised in Maryland I think its fun to barter, still unclear what distinguishes bartering form dickering.

I was playing around with online version of Uncle Henry's but didn't see many ads for (my locale) like Jonesport, Machias, Lubec etc (within 30-45 ") Washington County.

Does the surrounding Jonesport area use a different classified ads publication?
Or maybe its pure word of mouth?

In advance thx a lot !
Have a great weekend all!

Downeast Dickering uses guys from around the Bethel area. It isn't 'Downeast' at all.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:00 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
It's Downeast as much as Downeast magazine. Travel, Food, Culture | Down East Magazine: The Magazine of Maine

The magazine is headquartered in Camden and advertises itself as the "magazine for Maine." Once you cross the state line, the word "Maine" = "Downeast." Yeah, those of us here know where Downeast really is, but everybody else in the world has a broader opinion of what territory the term covers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine