Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepastorsson View Post
Hahaha I love all these stories. I wonder if my kids will pick any of it up at all. They are still elementary school ages.
Probably not in Portland. Very few people under 40 have a Maineah accent unless you go up nawth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 10:25 AM

181 posts, read 297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Probably not in Portland. Very few people under 40 have a Maineah accent unless you go up nawth.
Lol. Well we will definitely visit up "nawth".

Old 04-08-2014, 12:48 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
I heard about one guy that finished all his emails this way:

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r Just put those in where you think they should go!

Old 04-08-2014, 04:04 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
My aunt and uncle moved to Maine when my cousins were young..None of them picked up an accent, but when I visited they'd say things I had never heard, like 'Jesum Crow."

There were more but that's the only one that comes to mind.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
My aunt and uncle moved to Maine when my cousins were young..None of them picked up an accent, but when I visited they'd say things I had never heard, like 'Jesum Crow."

There were more but that's the only one that comes to mind.
Omg same here in Michigan! The one from here that stands out the most is "Oh geez oh Pete's". Lol! What the heck is that? So my kids say that and so do I because I thought it was sooooo funny when I first heard it so I started saying it...then it stuck!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 AM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
I'm originally from NH. A large portion of my family is from north of Boston. I don't have a Maine accent, but people know I'm from New England. Each New England state sounds unique, and those accents break down even further depending on the county. I've been training myself for some time to pronounce things correctly, but it's not always easy.

I work with a guy from Philly, and half the time I have no idea what he is saying... nor does he understand me.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
I'm originally from NH. A large portion of my family is from north of Boston. I don't have a Maine accent, but people know I'm from New England. Each New England state sounds unique, and those accents break down even further depending on the county. I've been training myself for some time to pronounce things correctly, but it's not always easy.

I work with a guy from Philly, and half the time I have no idea what he is saying... nor does he understand me.
I look forward to experiencing all of the different (to me) accents in the northeast. I talked to a potential landlord today, an older lady with a place in South Portland. Definitely heard that accent! I enjoyed the conversation and the way she pronounced certain things, and found her to be straightforward and pleasant. She sounded exactly like my preconceived idea of a true "Maineah". Haha.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:35 AM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Some people in their mid-40s and older have a Maineah accent. Lots of trouble with their Rs. Or as they say it: "Aaaaahs." The farther north (faathah nawth) you go, the more accent. The faathah sooth, the less.

People in their early 40s to younger have almost no discernible accent. That's what happens when you learn most of the language by watching TV instead of listening to your grandparents.
When I was a kid all my relatives in Eastport had thick accents, the only TV at that time was two Canadian channels.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:48 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
I do have to say that the Maine accent is alive on my island. Ayuh, Deah, alive and kickin'.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:39 AM

565 posts, read 934,670 times
People in New England love using the adjective wicked. I grew up down south, and wicked always meant something that was spooky or creepy, like a witch during halloween for example.

Here though, people use the term wicked to mean extreme. "I'm wicked hungry." "That's wicked funny."
It doesn't seem as common in Maine compared to Southern New England, however its still way more common than the rest of the country. First few years it annoyed me, now I play into it and egg people on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine