Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:04 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In my own religious-political view; whisker growth has much more to do with the feminizing of our culture, that and the use of razors.

Than in 1983, when the Navy began requiring that we must all be clean shaven whenever in port, or within the presence of females; it not only made it difficult to grow a long beard, it became more difficult to grow a beard at all. Thankfully I am a submariner so of course I was able to wear a beard at least seven months of each year, so long as I was a crewmember of a boat. [since we tend to spend seven months of each year underwater]
I'm not sure how this fits with your experience Forest, but sometime ago a fellow biologist mentioned to me that being in the presence of women enhanced beard growth. It makes sense to me--hormone production is responsive to environment, and beard growth is responsive to hormones.
Also (not v. good science cause as sample #=1), but maybe of interest:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...909389,00.html

And, just apropos of nothin' you do look real nice with that icy beard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 03:53 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
The discussion of beards, I suppose does fit into a discussion of Maine towns, as a noticeable part of the Maine culture does in fact include a far greater acceptance of natural looking men.

As such this discussion does go into a part of why I choose to live here.

When I have lived in other areas, I could feel that folks simply were not as accepting of men who wear full beards. I fit in as a 'biker', more so than as an Electronic Engineer. Obviously I have suits and I have worn them. But down South, folks do a double take. When they see a beard they expect leathers, chains and tattoos. I have gone to job interviews, I have skills that some corporations desire, however it is automatically assumed that I plan to be shaving before I begin work. To fit the more feminized image.

Here in Maine, I see far fewer ladies in high heels, fake fingernails, fake eye-lashes, and who make routine visits to beauty salons. In my opinion it is wonderful to see ladies who are comfortable being natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by treelover View Post
I'm not sure how this fits with your experience Forest, but sometime ago a fellow biologist mentioned to me that being in the presence of women enhanced beard growth. It makes sense to me--hormone production is responsive to environment, and beard growth is responsive to hormones. Also (not v. good science cause as sample #=1), but maybe of interest:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...909389,00.html
That is a very interesting [though short] article.

I also find it interesting that he said:
"As a byproduct of his research, the scientist also found that increased beard growth was associated with tension, mental fatigue, alcohol and increased shaving. On the other hand, it is apparently curtailed by heavy exercise and high temperatures."

I can say that I have observed that increased shaving does increase hair growth. Our bodies insist that if we are going to fight them and try to make our bodies hair-less than out of spite they will produce the more hair. As we fight against nature, our fight gets harder for some mysterious reason.

I have been a guinea pig in studies watching men work when not in the presence of female pheromones, as well as during periods of being subjected to those 'evil' female pheromones. It most certainly does effect men's ability to focus on their work. [I say 'men' as my experiences working in 'co-ed' work environments has been extremely limited]

We can be underwater for months and getting along great; everyone focused on their work, etc. When one joker brings out some item from his wife that has been soaked in her 'stuff' and the resulting effect on the entire crew is very noticeable. Over the years, I have experienced numerous times when a crewman's more evil spouse will attempt to subject the entire crew to such agony, by sending along a little 'gift' for your hubby.

I am not surprised that mental tension and fatigue will also kick in higher levels of hormones, as our bodies are trying to help us through the bad times; resulting in more beard growth. Our bodies were wondrously designed.

I have also worked in environments of decreased Oxygen levels for long periods. Our bodies will adapt to many things. But that is entirely a different topic.

Quote:
And, just apropos of nothin' you do look real nice with that icy beard!
Why thank you

I think that it looks better without the ice, but who am I to argue

Old 12-16-2007, 06:36 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,856 times
I don't mind what anyone looks like or does ... within their own boundaries of course if it offends others and all but this does make me a lil crazy: That whole 'metro male' thing which has found it's way to FL via NewYork newbies in Tampa and Florida. They shave their eyebrows and some of these guys are very hirsute ... shaving or waxing and ... oh man. It just detracts from a good-looking man. Just my opinion.

I like a natural human being. I think they're all beautiful ... when I was taking programming classes the most talented guy had very bad teeth and hair and all down to there and he smoked like a stack. Never got a degree but got snapped up making 50 grand FAST. Never got a hair cut or anything. Very kind very awesome man. I'll bet they hide Jim back there somewhere but they wouldn't DARE part with him.

Their loss, huh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The discussion of beards, I suppose does fit into a discussion of Maine towns, as a noticeable part of the Maine culture does in fact include a far greater acceptance of natural looking men.

As such this discussion does go into a part of why I choose to live here.

When I have lived in other areas, I could feel that folks simply were not as accepting of men who wear full beards. I fit in as a 'biker', more so than as an Electronic Engineer. Obviously I have suits and I have worn them. But down South, folks do a double take. When they see a beard they expect leathers, chains and tattoos. I have gone to job interviews, I have skills that some corporations desire, however it is automatically assumed that I plan to be shaving before I begin work. To fit the more feminized image.

Here in Maine, I see far fewer ladies in high heels, fake fingernails, fake eye-lashes, and who make routine visits to beauty salons. In my opinion it is wonderful to see ladies who are comfortable being natural

That is a very interesting [though short] article.

I also find it interesting that he said:
"As a byproduct of his research, the scientist also found that increased beard growth was associated with tension, mental fatigue, alcohol and increased shaving. On the other hand, it is apparently curtailed by heavy exercise and high temperatures."

I can say that I have observed that increased shaving does increase hair growth. Our bodies insist that if we are going to fight them and try to make our bodies hair-less than out of spite they will produce the more hair. As we fight against nature, our fight gets harder for some mysterious reason.

I have been a guinea pig in studies watching men work when not in the presence of female pheromones, as well as during periods of being subjected to those 'evil' female pheromones. It most certainly does effect men's ability to focus on their work. [I say 'men' as my experiences working in 'co-ed' work environments has been extremely limited]

We can be underwater for months and getting along great; everyone focused on their work, etc. When one joker brings out some item from his wife that has been soaked in her 'stuff' and the resulting effect on the entire crew is very noticeable. Over the years, I have experienced numerous times when a crewman's more evil spouse will attempt to subject the entire crew to such agony, by sending along a little 'gift' for your hubby.

I am not surprised that mental tension and fatigue will also kick in higher levels of hormones, as our bodies are trying to help us through the bad times; resulting in more beard growth. Our bodies were wondrously designed.

I have also worked in environments of decreased Oxygen levels for long periods. Our bodies will adapt to many things. But that is entirely a different topic.

Why thank you

I think that it looks better without the ice, but who am I to argue

Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Well, Forest, I'm going to have to disagree:

"I have been a guinea pig in studies watching men work when not in the presence of female pheromones, as well as during periods of being subjected to those 'evil' female pheromones. It most certainly does effect men's ability to focus on their work. [I say 'men' as my experiences working in 'co-ed' work environments has been extremely limited]"

In the Army, I was in charge of a relatively small but somewhat specialized group. Two of my "men" were women. One was the equal of any man that had ever worked for me and the other was the equal of any *two* men who had ever worked for me. They were fearless under fire and never, ever shirked their duties and they would work longer and harder than many of the men...unlike some other females in other units I observed, who would sometimes use their feminine wiles to "get over" and get other guys to do their work for them.

It all depends on the women and men involved, and their degree of dedication and professionalism.

"Here in Maine, I see far fewer ladies in high heels, fake fingernails, fake eye-lashes, and who make routine visits to beauty salons. In my opinion it is wonderful to see ladies who are comfortable being natural"

Some "un-natural" enhancement is not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:17 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Well, Forest, I'm going to have to disagree: ...
I did not intend to imply that females are not: capable, hard working, professional, etc.

By all means I should imagine that folks who have had the opportunity of serving along side of females, may well have stories of the examples of courage, dedication, and other fine stuff that females exhibit everyday.

I simply spent most of my career working with men: without mail service, without phones, without the WWW, without any means of personal communication with the outside world, and without females.

Having lived underwater among a community of men, I do enjoy Maine now.

Fresh air, trees, animals, and females!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine