Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:24 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,079 times

Advertisements

Yes, that pretty much says it for everyone in her District, then. They're all liberal and getting moreso by the day. Just like everyone in Maine is 100% behind the loudmouth in Augusta. You do understand our Governor has made the State a laughingstock nationally, right? Want to do the rundown of all the brilliant things he's come out with? So, by your reasoning, because LePage is 100% tea party, with a record of vetoing everything just "because", even when his own party wants bipartisan action, everyone in Maine must be that way. This kind of crap didn't go on years ago. Entire regions weren't painted with a broad brush and some ridiculous accusatory finger pointing. I've got a finger for this kind of politics. That's what's wrong with the Country and Maine today. I liked the old days when the guys that worked at the mill in Bucksport and voted Democrat, would argue with the guys that had the small business in town, who voted Republican, and they could all talk about it and be proud of what they were with each other across the card table at hunting camp without lying or getting pissy about it. Now it's all or nothing. "Us or them". Or the now infamous "either you're with us or against us." And there's no middle ground. Pretty sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 PM

321 posts, read 486,877 times
To get this thread back on track...

I wouldn't rule out the Bangor area. Bangor is second only to Portland in healthcare job options, so there are quite a few different opportunities for a PA-C. You could live just outside of town and have a semi-rural experience in Eddington, Holden, Glenburn, etc., or you could live a greater distance from the city and have a more rural existence in places such as Bradford, Alton, Clifton, etc.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:16 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
One geopolitical fact that will help orient you is that Maine is as big as the other five New England states put together. Half the population of Maine lives itching 50 miles of Portland and half of that is water! Maine has a third the population of Philadelphia.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:33 AM

534 posts, read 904,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
You would do well in most parts of Maine, it sounds like.
Southern Maine and up through the midcoast is a very liberal part of the state, and becoming more liberal by the day, so if that's not your thing, beware.
I hear mississippi or Alabama are really not liberal...why do you stay in a state that is so liberal, when there are enclaves of like minded people? Heck you might even want to go join Cliven Bundies militia out west..they are really conservative and don't even recognize the US or even state laws. They get to brandish weapons at anyone and they are allowed to setup checkpoints to keep more liberals out. I read today that they are setting fires to news trucks and threatening federal employees and their families...you can't get much more conservative than that!

Old 05-03-2014, 11:16 AM

613 posts, read 944,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
You know, next year it'll be 60 years here for me, with some stints in and out and around from here to S. America to China, and I've never, ever, ever noticed ANYTHING in Southern, midcoast or coastal Maine that inferred "liberal" versus "conservative." Matter of fact, MOST Mainers, in my experience, are generally fiscally conservative and socially moderate. That is, until someone makes an issue out of it, and that's when we get our backs up. And it's not "becoming more liberal by the day." There's just more political noise accusing people that refuse to choose sides and perfectly walk the line as directed. That's not Maine. We're the oldest State in the nation. That kind of runs counter to the "liberal" fiction.
I haven't lived in Maine, but I've been there probably at least 30 times going back to the early '70s. A lot of vacations, then later on in the 2000's on house-hunting trips. A lot of it to York Co., Kennebunkport, Kennebunk, Saco, etc. I never noticed people being "liberal" there--I wasn't even thinking about whether people I encountered were "liberal", or "conservative" (??). People just seemed like......mostly really down-to-earth.......people.

The one time I got into a political discussion was in a bar; topic Iraq war, & it was about 2 years into the war. The older lady bartender was gung-ho for the war, & the guy seated near me was a contractor-workman type (probably not the stereotype of a "liberal") who thought it was a really bad idea. All very civil; & just seemed like a normal discussion. Was it "bad" that there was one "liberal" expressing an opinion?

Portland "seems" liberal, I suppose, but so what? You could live in a relentlessly boring--& mainly conservative--state like Indiana, w/o even one cool city (or seacoast). I hate to say it, but it does kind of seem that "conservatives" just can't stand the fact that "liberals" exist. Even in such a huge geographic area as Maine. If I do finally move to Maine; I don't intend to waste 1 second worrying that there are areas with people whose political opinions I don't agree with.......

(I'll get off my soapbox now......)

Old 05-03-2014, 11:48 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I haven't lived in Maine, but I've been there probably at least 30 times going back to the early '70s. A lot of vacations, then later on in the 2000's on house-hunting trips. A lot of it to York Co., Kennebunkport, Kennebunk, Saco, etc. I never noticed people being "liberal" there--I wasn't even thinking about whether people I encountered were "liberal", or "conservative" (??). People just seemed like......mostly really down-to-earth.......people.

The one time I got into a political discussion was in a bar; topic Iraq war, & it was about 2 years into the war. The older lady bartender was gung-ho for the war, & the guy seated near me was a contractor-workman type (probably not the stereotype of a "liberal") who thought it was a really bad idea. All very civil; & just seemed like a normal discussion. Was it "bad" that there was one "liberal" expressing an opinion?

Portland "seems" liberal, I suppose, but so what? You could live in a relentlessly boring--& mainly conservative--state like Indiana, w/o even one cool city (or seacoast). I hate to say it, but it does kind of seem that "conservatives" just can't stand the fact that "liberals" exist. Even in such a huge geographic area as Maine. If I do finally move to Maine; I don't intend to waste 1 second worrying that there are areas with people whose political opinions I don't agree with.......

I think there are a lot of stereotypes / generalizations that get used that simply do not fit.

I am career military, I joined in the 70s and retired in 2001. I never thought of myself in terms of liberal/conservative until after I retired. Now I have came to see that for most topics I am very conservative.

When it comes to starting new wars, I am totally against them. It seems to me that most combat vets are against starting new wars. Just as we are against having 150+ bases scattered across the globe on foreign soil. I can not fathom any sane person who has been in combat, wanting to go back into combat. Nor to send others into combat.

As for the civilian population, I have no idea of what makes some to be pro-war and others anti-war.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
it's easy to find liberal towns,,,,just look at the tax/mil rates..

I live in a conservative town, my taxes are at least half of what the nearby towns are for the same property as i have -this was an open effort, not to tank on town/government positions, and payrolls

i had a condo in a very liberal town- the taxes on this condo was over 6k per year-ridiculous, but there is so many on the city/government nipple , it feeds upon itself..

its easy to identify liberal/democrat factions- most anyone that gets paid by taxpayers
how many bush/cheney bumper stickers do you see from any government employee??? (compared to obama)

the state of maine is maine's largest employer,,,that's sad.. and over 90-95% vote liberal

folks on welfare,....over 90% vote liberal,

workplaces that are unionized,,,,unions are for the dems/liberals

the small business owners - over 90% republican/conservative- i deal with small business owners everyday, in fact i know over 200 across the state and most lean right (yeah, i know their are exceptions)

like sub said,,

i wasnt into politics when younger,,, politicians were like snakes,,,you couldnt trust any of them,,,but the older i got,,, and labels got thrown around,
im for freedom, life liberty and happiness-for the record, i think both parties are polluted with politicians that are getting greased and only looking at their golden parachute..term limits should have been stuck with yrs ago.
when its time to pay the piper (we are 20 trillion in debt and no one cares) you are going to wish you had a large garden- more self sufficient,,and had a gun to defend yourself..

i dont think anyone is pro-war...
if north korea took out L/A with a nuke, yes, then we are pro-rataliation

mainers are more political online, than i've ever witnessed in real life..
mainers usually keep their political views to themselves.. in fact, ive given more to democrats ten times more-than to republicans... not parties ..but individuals starting a new life/thats bottomed out

because i travel alot,,i seen alot of cars off the road,,,i often stop to help or offer assistance,,,do i look at a bumper sticker first...before i offer help/? of course not!!

Old 05-03-2014, 01:17 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post

Well, you get points for being honest about being on a soapbox, at least.
It's just a simple fact that for some people/families, it matters what the culture of an area is, when it comes time to move or settle down. I've lived in Portland and the area on and off over the last twenty five years. Had many great times there. I've had family living in Portland for many, many decades. But when it came time to settle down and start our family, we decided that it wasn't a good fit for us. So we moved away from southern Maine. For some people, these kinds of considerations don't really matter. Every one has an individual story and set of needs.
Why is everybody getting so defensive about whether southern Maine and the midcoast is really liberal? Lots of nasty digs going on for no reason, imho.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:18 AM

506 posts, read 683,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Chellie Pingree is the 30th most liberal member of the House of Representatives, which is really saying something. She represents southern Maine and the midcoast area.
Big freakin deal. Does she control the brains of her constituency? Stop trying to Fox News us.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:07 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
Big freakin deal. Does she control the brains of her constituency? Stop trying to Fox News us.

You forgot to say something about the Koch Brothers.
You're welcome.

More seriously, it's the other way around: nothing happens in a vacuum, including her being elected. She, obviously, represents the group of people who elected her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine