Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 05:26 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times

Advertisements

The reason that most people burn K1 fuel (clear kerosene) is that they or someone else has installed a kerosene burning heating appliance somewhere in their house. Most commonly used are Monitor (brand) heaters of which there are three models that burn kerosene, and two or three that burn LPG. They are very efficient and provide enormous amounts of heat. When they are installed in an older house with many rooms, the issue will be the distribution of the heat from the single heat source.

Toyotomi is another manufacturer of kerosene heating units. They are similar to the more widely distributed Monitors and in my experience are considerably superior, offering better fuel burn rates and a much more rugged construction internally. I own two commercial buildings that are heated entirely with these units. One building has six Monitors and was built around using them in the six different areas. This building has been in service for sixteen years, and all units are fed from a single fuel tank. The second building uses two older Monitors that I had rebuilt, and two smaller Toyostoves...in service now for three years.

When I built my new home I designed it around using the same type of system, and I heat my modern home using an older Monitor that I had rebuilt, and new Toyostove of about the same size and a very small Toyostove in my study. At home, facing west over the water and getting enormouse wind in the winter, I consume around 800 gallons of kerosene per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 05:36 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Default Monitor type heating

Very good information on Al's Heating website. He is a rebuilder and will tell you everything that there is to know about all of these kerosene burning heaters. www.alsheating.com (broken link).

This guy tells you everything that you need to know about these systems...and a LOT that you don't need to know. He is absolutely 100% the best repair/overhaul technician for these units, and even though it is more than a hundred miles from where I use them, I am pleased to be able to haul a unit down there and then pick it up to reuse knowing that it is better than new.

Valuable information here.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:24 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,386 times
Wow...thank you all for taking the time to answer me. It's not a common heat source here at all, so I really knew nothing about it.

I went up to Maine over these last couple of days and have fallen in love with the state. The people are so nice, the country was so pretty that at some points it took my breath away (and this was with no foliage left on the trees). I looked at a home in Montville and the ride there was just so pretty. This trip was to put my feet on the ground up there and feel out the state. I was so pleased. Driving and getting around is a breeze too...wow.

I love Maine. Unfortunately, my dog is very ill and has taken a turn for the worse. There are a few other circumstances that are going to prevent a move right now. It all sort of just fell apart at the last minute.

It'll happen when it's supposed to happen. Thank you all for answering my questions...all it did was reinforce how much I like the people of Maine. (oh and my niece has decided she's staying after graduation...she wants to get into politics up there...lol...look out!!)

Joanne

Old 06-04-2008, 04:10 PM

10 posts, read 56,871 times
Hi

Funny my husband and I were just discussing this, I can't get a delivery of #2 oil untill next week and I was also wondering if I could go and buy K 1 to burn untill my next delivery...I had company come and had 4 extra people that were using hot water daily..so I am running really low and don't want to run completely out before next delivery...So is it safe to burn K 1 in a furnace that usually uses #2 oil????
thanks Paula

Old 06-04-2008, 04:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny_red_miata View Post
Hi

Funny my husband and I were just discussing this, I can't get a delivery of #2 oil untill next week and I was also wondering if I could go and buy K 1 to burn untill my next delivery...I had company come and had 4 extra people that were using hot water daily..so I am running really low and don't want to run completely out before next delivery...So is it safe to burn K 1 in a furnace that usually uses #2 oil????
thanks Paula
NO! it is a different weight fuel and being lighter it will atomize more readily and overheat your cumbustion chamber. It could burn through the target wall. It is recommended that no more than a 50/50 mixture of #2 and K-1 be mixed together and then only to keep the #2 flowing well at low temperatures. You may be able to change the nozzle to burn k-1. Perhaps a burner man can fill you in.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:05 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
We also used to use K-1 and had no basement. The system worked well with no problems. It was set up to a monitor heating system.
I have a a monitor heater for my home and use K-1 as well. When we bought our house years back it would cost us 400.00 to heat our home for a year. Amazing!!! I love it.
I recommended them.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I have a a monitor heater for my home and use K-1 as well. When we bought our house years back it would cost us 400.00 to heat our home for a year. Amazing!!! I love it.
I recommended them.
Funny...this is a really old thread that I started and to reread it made me chuckle. I have a direct vent heater too and I love it as well. It was very economical compared to some people I've talked with (even with the price of K1). I still want to get a pellet stove though.

This thread made me sad cuz my dog was still alive.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:54 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post

This thread made me sad cuz my dog was still alive.
I'm sorry capecodder.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny_red_miata View Post
Hi

thanks Paula
Go buy a five gallon jug of diesel fuel. Same thing as #2 fuel oil except you have to pay road tax on it because it isn't dyed red. Some stations have a pump that has #2 fuel oil as well.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Buy a 5 gallon jug of off road Diesel. It's cheaper. You can get it in small towns and farm stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine