Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:08 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what fish/lobster, etc. in Maine (I'm sure ALL Atlantic Salmon is polluted vs cleaner Pacific Salmon -- which in Maine I'd need to buy canned & not fresh, yes?) is ok to eat? Unfortunately, I can't think of much seafood not polluted or having high mercury that is plentiful in the New England/Maine area.

Thanks if anyone has any thoughts on these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 03:28 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Anyone know what fish/lobster, etc. in Maine (I'm sure ALL Atlantic Salmon is polluted vs cleaner Pacific Salmon -- which in Maine I'd need to buy canned & not fresh, yes?) is ok to eat? Unfortunately, I can't think of much seafood not polluted or having high mercury that is plentiful in the New England/Maine area.

Thanks if anyone has any thoughts on these.

I can't think of any seafood that is polluted. Swordfish, at one time had high levels of mercury, but I'm not sure of it's status now.

Some of the fresh water fish have warnings about how much you should eat, but there are no don't eat warnings that I know of.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:33 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
No open season for Atlantic salmon. Unless you're talking landlocked salmon.

There are areas with restrictions on shellfish harvest because of pollution. I'd be careful of any other fish there too. I believe some areas near Searsport is one example.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:38 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No open season for Atlantic salmon. Unless you're talking landlocked salmon.

There are areas with restrictions on shellfish harvest because of pollution. I'd be careful of any other fish there too. I believe some areas near Searsport is one example.

Any shellfish you buy in astore is safe to eat. The places closed are for the actual fishermen. I have not seen any warnings that the fish from the Searsport area are unfit to eat.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:44 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,072 times
The lifespan of the fish and its age dictate mercury content, inasmuch as the mercury is generally atmospheric from rain. Atlantic Salmon are only slightly higher in mercury (rated "low" vs. "very low") compared to Pacific and Alaskan salmon. Not enough difference to worry about. Farmed salmon tends to have other issues, and is grown fast enough such that mercury levels probably aren't an issue. This is why giant bluefin tuna are so high - they're big, top predators that consume a lot of smaller fish and the mercury builds up over time. A lot of background and atmospheric mercury in freshwater fishes has become an issue, some for direct pollution. Curiously, a fisheries biologist who I went through college with 125 years ago told me that white perch of the same size as a black crappie have a particularly high level of mercury compared to the crappie. The perch live longer and, as such, the mercury accumulates over time. You can thank our industrial neighbors upwind for that little problem. Swords have fairly high mercury content, again depending on age of the fish. ALL atlantic salmon is not "polluted" vs. "cleaner" pacific salmon. Where'd you get that malarkey? I prefer fresh caught kings, but fresh caught atlantics are almost as good. I don't eat farmed salmon unless it's organic simply because everyone's gotta make a buck and the industrial salmon farms have no problem loading their fish up with hormones and antibiotics to make a little more off you. Do you think there's something magical about west coast pollution and that it doesn't affect pacific fish?

Old 05-10-2014, 03:49 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Saltwater Fish and Lobster Safe Eating Guidelines - Environmental and Occupational Health - Maine CDC - DHHS Maine

see the fresh water version also..... every state reads almost the same whether Maine or NJ.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:56 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Any shellfish you buy in astore is safe to eat. The places closed are for the actual fishermen. I have not seen any warnings that the fish from the Searsport area are unfit to eat.
Hmm, I might of read a bit too much into the OP that maybe they were interested in fishing.

Baywatchers challenge Searsport company to curb pollution legacy | PenBay Pilot

There's enough non-polluted areas I wouldn't mess with the areas with known pollution issues for fishing. In any case, it isn't species specific, it's area specific.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:57 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
W/ respect to Atl. salmon vs Pac. salmon, I guess all farmed Atl. is bad & wild-caught (but not sure if the fresh Atl. Salmon here in AZ) is from open/wild vs. closed waters? I somehow got into my head that the lower prices on Atl. fresh seafood here is that way due to lower, perhaps unsafe, health concerns. Now I'm lost.

Also read that if it is Atl. then it is ALL farmed. Canada has nothing but farmed Atl. in almost all restaurants, etc. I don't know how accurate this info is, but google this & many sites do agree.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
W/ respect to Atl. salmon vs Pac. salmon, I guess all farmed Atl. is bad & wild-caught (but not sure if the fresh Atl. Salmon here in AZ) is from open/wild vs. closed waters? I somehow got into my head that the lower prices on Atl. fresh seafood here is that way due to lower, perhaps unsafe, health concerns. Now I'm lost.

Also read that if it is Atl. then it is ALL farmed. Canada has nothing but farmed Atl. in almost all restaurants, etc. I don't know how accurate this info is, but google this & many sites do agree.

it can be unsafe going out your front door,

some folks wont eat tilapia, some folks wont eat any farm raised fish, some folks wont eat dandelion greens..

to each their own...

i
when i was on a strict diet a few yrs ago- i ate 2-4 cans of tuna fish a day

some info online says you shouldnt eat more than 1 can of tuna a week,, and most others say 2-4 cans is ok..

i like fish once in a while,,
and mercury isnt even a thought

just about any or all type of food can kill you if you look deep enough

Old 05-12-2014, 10:21 AM

215 posts, read 584,028 times
Dandelion greens, dandelion greens, I can't wait to get a big tub of them clean them up a cook them with a big slab of salt pork. Thanks mainebrokerman for getting the taste buds all worked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: