Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 05:54 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,042,435 times

Advertisements

I live in Northern Maine. I would state there IS some diversity in Maine. The St John Valley is interesting, you can hear people speaking French. The hospital in Fort Kent is a Catholic Hospital.

From Fort Fairfield to Smyrna there are Amish folks, and Mennonites. It is very interesting to see how they live.

The MicMac and Maliseet people love to share their culture and educate others about their ways.

What I am stating is, if one can drive down the road listen to a French speaking radio station, see an Amish family driving a buggy, and shop at a Malliseet or MicMac vegetable stand, Maine IS diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 AM

23,380 posts, read 17,055,763 times
Good luck with that logic.

Look at all the people seeking places with "diversity" in the other state forums. If people have to wonder if there is 'diversity' in Nj, you'll be vying for one of the last few places on the 'list'.

Whatever 'diversity' means. i still can't figure it out. When someone says diverse I'm thinking of places with easy access to the coast, uplands, mountains, streams, farms and swamps.

Ethnic 'diversity' doesn't seem to count for many folks. You'll have to check the latest definition but not sure where it might be listed. If you do find a definition be sure to look for the edition and expiration date.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:28 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Good luck with that logic.

Look at all the people seeking places with "diversity" in the other state forums. If people have to wonder if there is 'diversity' in Nj, you'll be vying for one of the last few places on the 'list'.

Whatever 'diversity' means. i still can't figure it out. When someone says diverse I'm thinking of places with easy access to the coast, uplands, mountains, streams, farms and swamps.

Ethnic 'diversity' doesn't seem to count for many folks. You'll have to check the latest definition but not sure where it might be listed. If you do find a definition be sure to look for the edition and expiration date.
I suppose it is a generational thing. Growing up, our ethnicity was a big part of identity. I think, though, it has to do with my mom growing up in New York...there was a Greek butcher shop, of course it had a dead lamb hanging in the window at Easter time, and of course the Polish bakery, or the Italian grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: