Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:57 PM

175 posts, read 420,329 times

Advertisements

I am probably be coming in April - May, so it will be a little bit. that could be a way to too. Thanks for the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 08:20 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Well, this isn't much of an idea but It works for me....at least the last time I made a big move.

"Do not bring anything" except for necessities of course. I couldn't believe how much i spent to move what turned out to be junk a few years later. If you can afford it or it even might work out better. Sell as much as you can and then buy stuff when you get here.

Anyways...Its probably not what your looking for but i thought I'd mentioned it. good luck

Old 12-13-2007, 08:34 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
We downsized BIG time when we moved to WI 19 months ago, and using professionals, it cost $2000.00. Given that we had to come thru Chicago (nightmare!!!), I was really happy that we weren't in a rental truck with the vehicle on the back.

Not sure how we are going to make the return move yet, but I know DH wants to look into either Penske or Budget. NEVER, NEVER rent a U-Haul for long distance moving. You will be sitting on the side of the road, and probably before you even cross your first State line.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:39 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
First go through all your stuff and get rid of what you don't need. Then do it again.
We have actually had good luck with U-Hauls. Maybe we got lucky?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
We downsized BIG time when we moved to WI 19 months ago, and using professionals, it cost $2000.00. Given that we had to come thru Chicago (nightmare!!!), I was really happy that we weren't in a rental truck with the vehicle on the back.

Not sure how we are going to make the return move yet, but I know DH wants to look into either Penske or Budget.

Have you thought about using the Badger car ferry that runs between Manitowoc, WI and Ludington, MI. Cuts off that whole nightmare Chicago route and then you can take an angling course down through the State of Michigan that actually saves quite a few miles over driving around the end of the Lake. I know that they take large vehicles like moving trucks (It was built to take train cars). Who knows, a 4 hour trip and time to sit back and have a movie, snack, watch the waves. might be relaxing part of the trip and worth the money. The other ferry doesn't take large vehicles.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:52 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,615 times
Last year I moved from the Baileyville,ME. area to Georgia , and the bill was 6,000 for really not even anywhere near a full load.. My stuff arrived , damaged and broken , and we were very unhappy with North American Van Lines.. for all our damaged and missing things we got 100.00.. I RECEIVED MY DECEASED MOTHER'S CUT GLASS 4 MONTHS AFTER WE MOVED!! Next move will be with Bekins.. Great reliable and careful movers!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:28 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Anyone know anything about "PODS"? Probably expensive but the concept is great.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:25 PM

175 posts, read 420,329 times
Fly,

Actually I just checked into the Pods deal and from the quotes I am getting, it runs about the same. I mean it is still around 3 grand, but they drop off the pod and you can take your time loading it, I think up to 30 days. Then they pick up and will take it to your destination. And the total included taxes and fuel. I think the mailing items up sounds good and I have plenty of time. Also do plan on having a HUGE moving sale.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:18 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm that is expensive! I think perhaps we will sell or give away stuff here and then purchase in Maine. We do have some furniture and stuff I want to take, but some big bulky stuff like the box spring and mattress could well be replaced and some of the bureau (what is plural of bureau bureaus????) are mismatched second hand store items. When I came here I ruthlessley sorted thru my stuff; i marked off a 5x8 area with masking tape on the floor and just told myself, if you can fit it in there you can take it other wise do the Buddha thing and get rid of it. (Attatchment and grasping) is the source of suffering. It worked pretty well. First I let my kids take anything they could use, including things they would have inherited--take it now; then I put things in the yard and marked them all FREE! I took lots of books to the public library. I am ok with that, but I can't convince my DP to give away three out of style tuxedos that he had when he lived in NYC and frequented the Met. I don't think he will get anymore use of them in Maine than he has in southern california.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 PM

455 posts, read 1,228,745 times
Talking "men"...they are all alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
but I can't convince my DP to give away three out of style tuxedos that he had when he lived in NYC and frequented the Met. I don't think he will get anymore use of them in Maine than he has in southern california.
My hubby is so much like that. I have been getting rid of all kinds of things that I don't want to move, But when he tried to I ended up packing 2 Large moving boes with baseball hats, One large box with just the tee-shirts from everywhere and one with all the boots he has been getting to be home in Maine again.
I like the mail it idea, that would save lots of space for those precious baseball hats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine