Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:13 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Oh, but it is a DRY heat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
It rarely gets much above 80 in northern Maine (or right on the coast). That suits me fine as I just can't take the heat. If there's any humidity at all, I find even the low 80s to be uncomfortable.
We haven't put in the air conditioner for the last few years, and haven't really needed it.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,845 times
Default still swattin since 1970's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I lived in Florida twice when I was in the military. I'll never go back. We live in Maine by choice. We have four real seasons and they are all beautiful.

Our cost to heat our Maine homes is high. The cost to air condition a home in Florida is high.
I agree living in Florida is nice but the costs can even out with heat and cooling.

I love maine ... I can handle the weather. I do not like black fly season. Other then that... home is where you hang your "bug" hat.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:00 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,845 times
Smile i live in your tree house

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

I can look out my livingroom window now- look over the waters reflection of trees, hear the loons, other birds, aso see os preys hovering for a breakfast fish

I can walk out on my deck, have breakfast, not see a neighbor,, I could target practice off my deck, without a complaint,
I could easily catch a fish for breakfast within minutes,,

a few nights ago I climbed up on my roof, and shined the superlight into the field- counted 9 deer eating grass

I will be gone most of the day today, I can leave the windows open, and the doors unlocked, and not have to worry about anyone breaking in- its been this way for over 20 yrs, since ive been here

and im less than 15 miles from the state capitol augusta , not way up north in the sticks

so yeah, I love living here
Push over......... I'm moving in.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 AM

42 posts, read 89,549 times
Wow...thanks for all the great feedback. I absolutely love Maine and the few times I have been there...even before I had been there I knew it was my ultimate home. I really, really hope to get there soon. If I could ensure a good school for my daughters, I'd be up there tomorrow. My husband and I are both nurses, so I am not worried about finding jobs.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:36 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
My wife and I can take the long cold winters in N.E. a lot better than we can take the long hot, humid summers in the south. We both grew up in northern N.E. but have lived in North Carolina and West Virginia. We have been to Florida. My wife was stationed in Virginia in the military. I was in California in the military. If I have to be in a hot climate, California or the Southwest would be it. Still we yearn to and are in the process of relocating back to northern N. E. after traveling around. If you hate the cold and relocated to Florida/the Carolinas more power to you. I hope that you are happy. I hear a lot of people from down south say "Oh gross, New England, it's too cold up there". Little do they know I feel the same way about the heat and the Southeast.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:11 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
My wife and I can take the long cold winters in N.E. a lot better than we can take the long hot, humid summers in the south. We both grew up in northern N.E. but have lived in North Carolina and West Virginia. We have been to Florida. My wife was stationed in Virginia in the military. I was in California in the military. If I have to be in a hot climate, California or the Southwest would be it. Still we yearn to and are in the process of relocating back to northern N. E. after traveling around. If you hate the cold and relocated to Florida/the Carolinas more power to you. I hope that you are happy. I hear a lot of people from down south say "Oh gross, New England, it's too cold up there". Little do they know I feel the same way about the heat and the Southeast.
Yup. It's a perspective thing. One Maine thing I enjoyed hearing outside tonight was a whippoorwill. I haven't heard one around here in ages.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:09 PM

227 posts, read 415,226 times
There are whippoorwills in Florida, Reloop, but I sure do miss the call of a loon. I have an Audubon stuffed loon that my husband bought for me that I can squeeze to make the sound. It's just not the same! I haven't been on this site for awhile. Why oh why am I on it in June?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:04 PM

42 posts, read 89,549 times
My thoughts exactly Dan! Florida is so BORING. It is like a sweaty groundhog's day...same thing day in....day out....

Old 07-04-2014, 06:14 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnlove07 View Post
My thoughts exactly Dan! Florida is so BORING. It is like a sweaty groundhog's day...same thing day in....day out....
Exactly. My dad moved there in 1986 and no one n my family can understand why I don't want to go to over crowed, hot, sweaty Clearwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine