Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:55 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
There are about 5 nights a year that are hot in Maine. So, most people just close the shades on the sunny side of the house and close the windows during the day. When the outside temps go lower than the inside, they open the windows and use fans to cool off the house over the night. Air conditioning is a luxury in Maine and completely unnecessary.
That's completely true in central and northern Maine. I have siblings in the Bangor area who raise their eyebrows at my window A/C here in the midcoast. But down here in the banana belt I'll see your five nights a year and raise you 15 or more. It becomes especially important for anyone with asthma or some other respiratory problem. I wish I could say I'm the exception, but as I noted earlier, the most common sound on a summer evening in my neighborhood is the humming of air conditioners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 07:59 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,476 times
As new home construction turns more green, there will be a greater need for air/heat pump installs. Don't know if that is along the same line of what you currently do or not.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:41 PM

216 posts, read 564,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
As new home construction turns more green, there will be a greater need for air/heat pump installs. Don't know if that is along the same line of what you currently do or not.
Yes, I do install geothermal heat pumps. I actually invested a lot of time and money on training and certifications as an installer/servicer. Unfortunatley, green construction in CT went as far as using organic pesticides on their 1/4 acre lawn. Everyone stayed away from the heat pumps because of the cost of installations. They save operating money, but it is a long term payback. Hoping I could do more of that type of specialty in Maine.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:59 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Air conditioning is a luxury in Maine and completely unnecessary.
I don't have central Air where I am now in Ohio, I use a window unit in the bedroom during August when the temps are in the upper 90s every day. I remember one time when I was a kid and the temps in Eastport went into the upper 80s and people were dying from the heat and it didn't phase me a bit, rode the Grand Manan ferry without a jacket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Yes, I do install geothermal heat pumps.
The problem with geothermal in Maine is that in a lot of places mostly around the coast you can't dig too deep without hitting ledge. I would guess inland it would not be as much of a problem.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:35 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Yes, I do install geothermal heat pumps. I actually invested a lot of time and money on training and certifications as an installer/servicer. Unfortunatley, green construction in CT went as far as using organic pesticides on their 1/4 acre lawn. Everyone stayed away from the heat pumps because of the cost of installations. They save operating money, but it is a long term payback. Hoping I could do more of that type of specialty in Maine.
What about air source heat pumps? That seems to be the trend for some of the newer condos in my neck of the woods (Portland.) It allows cheaper heating and cooling without the complications of oil or gas burners.

From the sounds of your skills, I'll think you'll be fine up here.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:55 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
People are just softer now.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:36 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
People are just softer now.
Nope It's hotter. Maybe not so far this summer but recent summers have been hot. I've gone camping all my adult life and never before was it too hot to camp in the woods. Must have been around 7-8 years ago I went to Portland and instead of sight seeing, we spent the day ducking into air conditioned stores and eating ice cream. Then we had to wait in a scorching hot parking lot for a bus.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
I agree with the softer point of view. I've camped, and backpacked the last three summers and didn't notice it was hotter. It's the nights that make Maine so much better during to summers, and there are very few hot nights now, just as there were very few 40 years ago.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:52 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Nope It's hotter. Maybe not so far this summer but recent summers have been hot. I've gone camping all my adult life and never before was it too hot to camp in the woods. Must have been around 7-8 years ago I went to Portland and instead of sight seeing, we spent the day ducking into air conditioned stores and eating ice cream. Then we had to wait in a scorching hot parking lot for a bus.
Like I said " people are softer now "," spent the day ducking into air conditioned stores "

Old 07-02-2014, 07:20 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Default oops... did i do that

If your from Maine... the snow isn't a problem, we're some what use to it... but hot is hot for me. I'm ready to call Sears for a home estitimate... it's bad that my credit card had the power to purchase my family it's own "stay at home vacation" (a big lake pool).

I keep thinking about it like it's one of those nights you accidental told your mother in law that she's buttin in to often or you see why her son is the way he is...... and you can't take it back......

I am weak . And soft now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine