Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 AM

506 posts, read 683,819 times

Advertisements

It's never hot in Maine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
We have not seen any need for A/C here in our area [so far]. But we have only been here since 2005.

Different parts of Maine, might feel differently. We are just a tad North of Bangor, so technically still in the Southern half of Maine.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
We bought our first air conditioner ever on July 2 when it was the hottest July 2 in over 100 years. It was humid and oppressive. We brought the kitchen down to 68 degrees and it was delightful. We'll be ready next time.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:40 PM

118 posts, read 223,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
There are about 5 nights a year that are hot in Maine. So, most people just close the shades on the sunny side of the house and close the windows during the day. When the outside temps go lower than the inside, they open the windows and use fans to cool off the house over the night. Air conditioning is a luxury in Maine and completely unnecessary.
That's not the case. Apart from that, the air quality in many locations is such that air conditioning is a necessity in order to have cleaner air. Many days, even in the winter, the particulate levels are moderate. Ozone levels are less frequently raised, but that does happen.

There are many reasons to condition the air, and cool it.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoaster View Post
... the air quality in many locations is such that air conditioning is a necessity in order to have cleaner air. Many days, even in the winter, the particulate levels are moderate.
There are a few mill towns that produce a lot of smoke and fuels. We were in Bradley for a while when the Old Town mill was running, that was pretty bad.

Most of Maine enjoys very clean air.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:20 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoaster View Post
That's not the case. Apart from that, the air quality in many locations is such that air conditioning is a necessity in order to have cleaner air. Many days, even in the winter, the particulate levels are moderate. Ozone levels are less frequently raised, but that does happen.

There are many reasons to condition the air, and cool it.
I have never heard in 50 years, that mainers use a/c for cleaner air...

what part of maine are you in, that has poor air quality?

there are very few mills at all, so you don't have the mill odors you use to 30 yrs ago, the rivers are 10 times cleaner that they were 30 years ago
(the Kennebec use to reek of sewage smells in the 70's on a hot day)

I enjoy driving with my windows down, to get the pleasant smells of summer- in most of maine

Old 07-05-2014, 12:55 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We bought our first air conditioner ever on July 2 when it was the hottest July 2 in over 100 years. It was humid and oppressive. We brought the kitchen down to 68 degrees and it was delightful. We'll be ready next time.
I agree 100% with you, NMLM! It was insufferable the last few days before the 4th, and that surprised me, as I'd been up there all last summer, workin' hard building, and did not even break a sweat.

We brought 3 room A/C units with us up here (son-in-law wanted 'em, I said "no"). We had one on in the kitchen, run by generator. Made it tolerable for my wife, but I just like to be outdoors more.

When it's over 90 and humid, it reminds me of Rhode Island. Ugh!

Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
You guys in the interior have been really suffering. STill hasn't hit 90 on the coast.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:14 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You guys in the interior have been really suffering. STill hasn't hit 90 on the coast.
Sufferring lol. There hasn't been one night yet that with a simple window fan I couldn't get my bedroom down to a comfortable sleeping temperature. The night's have been cool.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I agree 100% with you, NMLM! It was insufferable the last few days before the 4th, and that surprised me, as I'd been up there all last summer, workin' hard building, and did not even break a sweat.

We brought 3 room A/C units with us up here (son-in-law wanted 'em, I said "no"). We had one on in the kitchen, run by generator. Made it tolerable for my wife, but I just like to be outdoors more.

When it's over 90 and humid, it reminds me of Rhode Island. Ugh!
Our strategy: (we do have central air, but hate a.c.)

Keep the windows and sliders open all night and close them around dawn, then draw all the shades and curtains, put on the overhead fans. Don't let any daylight in and keep the lights off (nice indoor feel). I keep one window open on each side of the house that face each other, for a cross-current, and I spray the cloth curtains on those windows with water till they're pretty wet. I don't know why I started to do this, but it works for this house. Close it all up again around 9 or 10 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine