U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 11:34 PM

25 posts, read 185,478 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations on oil companies to go with in Wells Maine? What's a good source to use to compare oil prices to include the going rate?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 11:36 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,186,976 times
Please use DM to recomend specific companies.

Thanks.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:14 AM

7,395 posts, read 12,464,217 times
The best way to compare companies is to get on the phone and call them directly. Ask them who you're talking to, write down the name, and ask them what their price is and how long it's good for. A friend of ours just did that with propane up here and found a $1.10 price difference! Crazy but true....she called the first company back and said " Why is so-and-so giving me that much of a price break??" The lady on the phone said, "Let me call you back"....she called our friend back a few minutes later and said "we can match that". I was shocked! and we both thought the same thing--what about people who are ordering when they need it, and aren't "locked in".....are they calling around? I hope so!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:01 AM

12,083 posts, read 37,007,160 times
I was looking for a propane dealer once and called around to a couple of places and stopped into one on my way home one day because it was on the way. The owner was in the shop when I stopped in and when I asked the price, he told me then added, "but you don't want me to set a tank for you right now, you want ****** Company, they have a special going right now that I can't touch for price."

With propane whichever company you chose is the one you stick with because it isn't like oil, and you can't jump from dealer to dealer with each fill if you want. The each set their own tanks if it is a large one and will fill only their tanks. If you have company X and Company Y has a better price, to get Company Y, you have to have Company X disconnect their tank then Company Y will set their tank and fill. It has something to do with the inspection and liability of dealing with gas and not liquid fuel. So when you are asking prices, ask how long the price is good for and what kind of long term deal you can get. I ended up with the first 500 Gallons at .99 Cents a gallon and 2 years at a set price that was still 40 cents a gallon cheaper than the next closest guy. Ask, then ask again, then get it in writing.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:50 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,354,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Ask, then ask again, then get it in writing.
Engraving that on my forehead... Good advise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>