Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 03:25 PM

565 posts, read 934,670 times

Advertisements

Saw this sign earlier today leaving Augusta on the side of the road. Not sure what good this policy does....It only encourages kids to drink and drive. We don't have any kids yet and not sure if we ever will, however I dont see any logical point in this law. Kids are gonna drink somewhere, why would you punish the parents if they are supervising and ensuring no one drives drunk?

I'm not saying the parents need to provide alcohol, but this law does more harm than good.

If the kids drink at a party and leave and drive drunk, then punish the host as if they were a bar if you really want too, however even then personal responsability goes out the window.... why not just punish the person that drove drunk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 05:08 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
the state and many believe these parties are very permissive towards drinking and underage teens

I have a son over the age of a teenager,, and my views have changed on this- I would also rather have a controlled party where no one will be driving

every year, teens die because of drinking and driving-
id rather have my kid at a controlled overnight party than in a car where they or some other kid is driving after drinking..

Old 06-14-2014, 05:15 PM

534 posts, read 904,372 times
How can a parent, a guardian of a persons life that is just beginning, allow a bacchanal with no restraint, no repercussions, no sense of responsibility to occur within eyesight? The parent is supposed to be a parent not a drinking buddy.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:31 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
How can a parent, a guardian of a persons life that is just beginning, allow a bacchanal with no restraint, no repercussions, no sense of responsibility to occur within eyesight? The parent is supposed to be a parent not a drinking buddy.
no one disagrees

I never had one of these parties at my place- for my son and friends- how do you monitor ages, binge drinking, irresponsible behavior,,, someone getting sick, hurt,etc.

however, I was also lucky,, I had a son that usually made good choices, and didn't drive drunk-
but again,, one of every parents worst nightmare is getting a call in the middle of the night- saying their kid was in a crash or worse.... because of drinking and driving..
Ive been to funerals of kids that were drinking and driving- worst thing ive ever been to

ive also witnessed firsthand kids going off to college and going nuts, partying and drinking, because parents were way too strict (as the kid says) so it was new to them... and because they got to drinking and partying,,,their grades suffered.. and eventually dropped out

no black and white answers to this

as a teen,, I was very lucky,,, I didn't smash up a car, or get caught drinking and driving..
,.....I like most of my friends would tell the parents they'd be on an overnight at a friends house, then out drinking at a popular parking spot..we all had cars and driving

Old 06-14-2014, 05:55 PM

565 posts, read 934,670 times
Quote:
so telling the kids they cant drink... they just wont drink right?

How bout telling them if they drink and do something dumb, they will have to face the consequences.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:21 PM

Yes, are you not the authority in your home? Are all on equal footing, that is a ship bound for the reef.

Perhaps an opium den or a internship with those on congress st or prebble st?

Old 06-14-2014, 09:29 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Yes, are you not the authority in your home? Are all on equal footing, that is a ship bound for the reef.

Perhaps an opium den or a internship with those on congress st or prebble st?
Do you have a teenager?

Old 06-15-2014, 05:09 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
so telling the kids they cant drink... they just wont drink right?

How bout telling them if they drink and do something dumb, they will have to face the consequences.
Nah, doesn't matter. Kids are gonna do what kids are gonna do, and no matter how you try to stop them, they will find a way to do it if they want to.

I had my first taste of alcohol when I was 12, more than 40 years ago but I still remember the pre-teen and teen years. Nothing anyone said or did could stop me. I was 14 the first time I went into a bar, and the same age the first time I got really, really drunk (party in the woods) (I rarely did *that* again). At 16, I was buying my own booze at the store and going to bars...and driving. Got bagged once, between 2 and 3AM coming back from a bar with a buddy in my old man's truck (at 16), going like heck up a dirt road. Cop was a friend of my old man, he looked at my license and the reg and asked where we were headed. I told him we were going to my buddy's house- he threw the lic and reg at me and said "Get there, park the truck and don't let me catch you on the road again tonight." I was more scared of him telling my old man than I was about anything the 'Law' would have done...though, AFAIK, he never did tell him. I was a lot more careful after that- both in how much I was drinking AND about acting stupid on the road.

Things were a little different back then- small towns and [relatively] sparse populations, the law was handled a little differently and the cops weren't all gung-ho to lock up everybody who had a little sip of something...now, first we had the PSAs about 'drunk driving' and, more recently, the ones about 'buzzed driving'- makes me angry, it isn't going to stop the hard-core drinkers or the kids, all it does it cause people like myself to not go out and patronize bars and restaurants because of too much worry that the Gestapo is going to ruin your life if you go out to eat and have a couple of drinks.

Might be better, if the first time a kid has a drink, to do it under supervision and let them get good and stupid, stinking, puking drunk under controlled conditions where they can be watched and protected. After the first time I did that, It was a loooooooong time before I did that again (it was was actually accidental, a few years ago, and I was at home...damn I hate puking).

Old 06-15-2014, 07:33 AM

Default Yes I had four

kids that didn't have Budweiser for roommates.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:58 PM

14 posts, read 20,441 times
It's the Massachusetts mentality creeping northward, too many think laws are the answer but those in their right mind know that the best solution to problems is dealing with them directly... and that means breaking the law to keep their kids safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: