Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 PM

100 posts, read 421,006 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am leaving NJ because, why else, the cost of living here is horrible. Other than that I love it. Four seasons, beaches, lakes, proximity to Philly and NYC, farmland, zoos, etc. But you pay for all that convienence!

Oh and I pay (and this is CHEAP) $5000 a year in property taxes for a 50x100 lot here in NJ w/ 1 bathroom. Nd the schools arent so hot.

SO, my house is for sale and I was looking at NC, but that seems to be the place to move now and my child and I both cant take the heat. ANd we have family in the Ellsworth area, so Maine is looking better and better.

Anyway, some questions:
- I hear they clear the main roads when it snows- true?
- Are the winters really horrible or bareable?
- Taxes- I read Maine is the highest taxing state overall. Are the taxes bad here?
- Are jobs hard to comeby out side of say, Bar Harbor, Bangor, Portland?? I want the ellsworth/franklin area.
- Now, wildlife- I scratched Missouri off my short list due to scorpions, tarantulas, black widows, etc. I hear the flies can be bad and moose roam, and maybe some bears, but is there anything i would be 'freaked' out about? OK, again Jersey we dont see so much, at least in Northern Jersey.

I think I am pretty much sold on Maine but I have a few questions as you can see. As a parent I want a safe, clean place to raise my child and I think Maine is it.

THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 06:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,900,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimsely1 View Post
Anyway, some questions:
- I hear they clear the main roads when it snows- true?
Better than anyplace else I have ever been in the winter and that includes: Upper New York State, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota, Montana, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, California (Tahoe/Truckee). Just about any Northern Tier State you can think of in other words.

Quote:
- Are the winters really horrible or bareable?
Very bearable. Cold and will seem BITTER cold to you the first winter just because you are not used to it. After that first winter, you'll have it made.

Quote:
- Taxes- I read Maine is the highest taxing state overall. Are the taxes bad here?
In a word. Yes. If you find a place outside an incorporated area it is much lower in terms of property taxes, in the cities and towns it is higher, depends on what your house valuation is set at. Income tax is higher than most other states, but if you are good at itemizing you can cut the amount taxed way down. Vehicle tax and registration is probably middle of the road compared to other states, with some higher, some lower.

Quote:
- Are jobs hard to comeby out side of say, Bar Harbor, Bangor, Portland?? I want the ellsworth/franklin area.
Depends on what you do for work. Some jobs are in demand ALL the time (Nurses, health care in general), while others are slowly making inroads even in the smaller towns far away from Portland like computer programmers up here (5 hours north of Portland.

Quote:
- Now, wildlife- I scratched Missouri off my short list due to scorpions, tarantulas, black widows, etc. I hear the flies can be bad and moose roam, and maybe some bears, but is there anything i would be 'freaked' out about? OK, again Jersey we dont see so much, at least in Northern Jersey.
Not really. The black flies can be fierce in the Spring some years, while other years there are not that many. Bears, 99.99% of the time will be long gone before you are even aware that one was close. Moose are something to watch out for while driving all the time, and certain times of the year while out hiking. Usually in the Fall during the Rut they are a bit less shy and will stand their ground more. Just give them some room at all times of the year and you will be fine. Just remember for something that can go 1300-1400 pounds,they can move very fast, and no matter how docile looking are still a WILD animal.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:33 PM

48 posts, read 193,913 times
Hi! We are moving to the South Portland area from NJ as well! What type of work do you do? Good Luck!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:18 PM

4 posts, read 8,340 times
Hello.

I was born and raised in southern Maine (20 minutes south of Portland). Winter is great if you like skiing, snowmobiling, etc., but if you have arthritis the cold can cramp you up like aluminim foil in a ball. And yes, overall the state and municipalities do well with clearing the main roads. No tarantulas, but we do have ticks. Both wood and deer ticks are gross, but the deer tick can cause Lyme's Disease. Read up on it at www.lymedisease.net (if I remember correctly). I have it, which causes increased difficulty in the winter and cold. Maine is one of the highest taxed states and we can't seem to catch a break with our government. Research your property tax rates on the respective city website. Not too familiar with the Ellsworth area. For jobs in that area check out www.jobsinme.com or www.mainetoday.com. I have raised two children in the same neighborhood I grew up in, which was great. If you have the opportunity, come for a visit to see what you think. Best of luck. I will wave to you as I pass you on the highway heading south. :0) Happy New Year.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:45 PM

874 posts, read 1,858,666 times
Lyme's is in NJ too. Blah, nasty stuff. But having lived in NJ for 15ish years I can definitely say it is better here. I've lived in North, Central, South (both at the shore and by Philly) so I know the state pretty well. Taxes are crazy high in NJ but not much better here. The education system seems much better over all comparatively but of course I can't speak for all towns.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyd83 View Post
Hi! We are moving to the South Portland area from NJ as well! What type of work do you do? Good Luck!
I only know insurance underwriting! But I can do something else, i figure I dont need the high pressure job, where i am working at night as well at home, with my child screaming at me to get off the computer.

Good luck to you as well! I am looking at the portland area too, its just family is closer to Ellsworth so thats why i choose there.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:21 AM

NJ has ticks too. I know I have 3 dogs. My poor dogs need land to run on, a 50x100 lot is not cutting it! My Shep/Lab mix loves the snow and where I am in NJ it doesnt seem to snow as much (global warming??) - knock on wood, it is January 1st. I have been to Maine quite a few times, so I know the area, my biggest concern is the job hunting.

Amy and Bob- Thanks for the job links!

Bydand- THANK YOU for the reply! I will stay away from the Moose!

Interesting to note 3 amy's on this thread already- i thought my name wasnt too common!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:32 PM

40 posts, read 98,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimsely1 View Post
I only know insurance underwriting! But I can do something else, i figure I dont need the high pressure job, where i am working at night as well at home, with my child screaming at me to get off the computer.

Good luck to you as well! I am looking at the portland area too, its just family is closer to Ellsworth so thats why i choose there.
Insurance underwritiing jobs in maine are plentiful. Food is a bit expensive...taxes are not as high as NJ, the electric bills are much higher than anything I've seen. You do have to check before renting or a home or apartment to see what the last family or tenant paid. Sobuying me apartments are $5k per year for an electric bill...while some can be only
$130.00 per month. The winter months will sometimes be higher, however the electric company will tell you the average for the home/dwelling...the last time it was occupied. Heating costs are something else to consider.
Maine is very safe and a nice place to raise children.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:59 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,908,541 times
Ellsworth seems to be expanding every time I drive through it, so I would say that jobs would not be very hard to find- there are many small businesses, a regional hospital and lots of county-wide social services that are based in Ellsworth. I understand that you are operating on NJ distance, but after you have been here a while, commuting to Bar Harbor (Jackson Lab, etc) or even Brewer/Bangor might not sound like such a long drive.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:04 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,900,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer2 View Post
the electric bills are much higher than anything I've seen.
When you are checking the power companies rate charts, don't forget the electricity rate is just part of what is billed. After deregulation a few years ago they now charge "Transmission and distribution" rates for each and every kilowatt hour you use as well. For us up here in Aroostook County the charges are .0825 (8.25 cents) per kilowatt for the electricity + .08366 (8,366 cents) per kilowatt for delivery, so the real cost of electricity through Maine Public Service is 16.616 cents per kilowatt. In other words if you use 750 kW a month the bill is going to be a minimum of $124.62. Don't forget the surcharges and taxes also that generally tack on another $10 or $15.

Yes you are reading the figures right, it costs more to "deliver" the electricity than it does for the electricity itself. Can you say rip-off? The whole deregulation was supposed to save the consumers money, what it did was force the supply companies to split off their power generating portion into separate companies, then buy the electricity from the plants they built in the first place. They then had to come up with a fee to keep the original company afloat so the delivery charge was introduced. Needless to say we the consumer, got bit right in our checkbooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine