Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:30 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times

Advertisements

Starting last year, my family of 4 decided to start taking month long summer vacations in various parts of the US and Canada to see different places (we are from Texas). We are taking these trips to figure out where we would like to eventually move to as we retire. Last summer we spent our time in Salt Lake City/Park City and I explored pretty much all of Utah. We really liked it there a lot!

We just vacationed in Victoria, BC for a month, and made a side trip to Vancouver and Seattle, then over to Port Angeles and back to Victoria. We really loved it all. Loved the summer weather (vs our nasty hot HUMID Houston, Tx weather) and of course the scenery. Hubby LOVED Victoria in particular, but is worried about the cloudiness of winter. He has seasonal affective disorder in the winter, and gloomy days can make him drag about, get depressed and sleep. The rain ones wouldn't bother us much. I would be worried about the winter months for that factor. Chances are if we end up somewhere that has really gloomy type winters, we would have a second 'winter home' where it's sunnier (perhaps keep the current house!). We just really hate the heat and humidity of Houston. But he's in the oil industry, so mostly likely Houston is our home while he's working.

Hubby and I were trying to figure out of there was any other place in the states that came relatively close in weather like the summer in the Pacific Northwest. And I was wondering if anyone knew about comparable location on the east side of the states, like Maine. After doing quite a bit of reading, I am strongly considering Portland, Maine for next summer. I also hear that Bar Harbor is gorgeous as well, I just worry it's a little north to meet our requirements (see below). Once we kind of find our "it" spot, we plan on visiting during all the seasons.

Some requirements in the location: we rent a place out for the month and use it a base location. So we would like to be able to see as much as possible within a 4-5 hour drive as we take mini trips (I.e. Would go to Boston for a couple of days to site see, etc). Would be nice if it was on water, but not a requirement. We like to do hiking, biking, and other outdoorsy stuff, as well as learn about the culture of where we are staying. We enjoy seeing the local scene, not the tourist scene.

Sorry this turned into a book! Thanks for the responses and suggestions! Trying to begin thinking about the location for next summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:07 PM

No one with any suggestions?

Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Portland would be better for you. You can get to Boston easy, the White Mts. and Bar harbors Acadia Nat'l Park. You could even go to more northern Maine and see our Moosehead Lake.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Summer in Maine is very different from summer in the Pacific NW. Daily temperatures aren't all that different, but New England is MUCH more humid. MUCH MORE. So you'll feel the heat more. More bugs too. And more chance for severe weather. In the ten years we lived in the Pacific NW, I think I heard thunder twice. Summer rains in New England are more likely to come with severe weather, and it is real rain as opposed to the constant sneeze of Pacific rain.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:51 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Welcome lhafer

When I was getting close to my retirement, we lived in Bremerton Wa [near Subase Bangor]. While there we explored a lot with a view toward possible retirement locations.

We spent a week in Victoria, BC. What a lovely place. On one boat a bunch of my co-workers were making runs to Victoria for the weekends, to visit the ladies. Then on my next boat one of my supervisors married a girl from there.

The PNW does have a great deal of over-cast clouds and rain nearly every day year-round. People with seasonal affect disorder can certainly be effected on dark gloomy days. One of the many things that we discovered we love about Maine is the lack of dark and gloomy days

I tell people all the time, when they are migrating to Maine, to rent first. So they get a chance to explore. Maine has different regions. It would be a shame to buy in one region only to find later that you would be been happier somewhere else.

Maine gets a lot of retirees migrating here.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:28 PM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
Submariner......"lack of dark gloomy days"? Goodness, don't mislead the poor folks! LOL

Old 06-26-2014, 04:46 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Submariner......"lack of dark gloomy days"? Goodness, don't mislead the poor folks! LOL
I do not think I did mislead anyone.

I have lived in Washington. I am familiar with the weather out there. Comparing Washington to Maine, there is a big difference.

Maine may not be as sunny as Florida, however it is not nearly as bad as Juan de Fuca / Puget Sound.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:10 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
We don't get a high number of gloomy days, except for fog along the coast.
Winter has short daylight hours, but that's different.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the responses. I haven't had a chance to really see the "rain" while in Victoria, as it only rained one late afternoon the entire month we were there. The rest if the time it was bright and sunny and gorgeous!

Define humid for me. I'm used to Houston humid, which is as bad, or worse than Florida humid, because at least they get almost daily afternoon showers that cool things down a bit. Walk out my front door in the middle of summer in the morning and it literally is difficult to breathe because the air is "thick". It's exactly like a wet sauna. And I can't stand it.

We don't mind fog or rain all that much.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 AM

506 posts, read 683,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Thanks for the responses. I haven't had a chance to really see the "rain" while in Victoria, as it only rained one late afternoon the entire month we were there. The rest if the time it was bright and sunny and gorgeous!

Define humid for me. I'm used to Houston humid, which is as bad, or worse than Florida humid, because at least they get almost daily afternoon showers that cool things down a bit. Walk out my front door in the middle of summer in the morning and it literally is difficult to breathe because the air is "thick". It's exactly like a wet sauna. And I can't stand it.

We don't mind fog or rain all that much.
The humidity here is relatively low compared to Florida and Houston. We may get summer "heat waves" which ramp up the temps and humidity levels.......but usually for 3 or 4 days max. You'd never get bored with the weather here, that's for sure! Like others have said though......it's much different from the West Coast. If you like "dependable" and mostly dry weather.........the West Coast might be a better place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine