Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:08 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,758 times

Advertisements

This is probably stupid but I am new to this massive snow stuff. I'm in Portland and while digging out my driveway this morning with my two year old saying "I help" while picking up small chunks of snow and tossing them in to the street, I was wondering... if we get much more snow where will we put it. The snow banks are getting higher and higher and soon I won't be able to throw snow on top cause I am too short. Will we be able to see out the front window by February?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 01:12 PM

411 posts, read 898,916 times
I wonder this every year, and every year it finds places to go, lol. It seems that some does melt as the winter goes on, as unlikely as that is. And we always seem to have a January thaw that helps some... but this year looks to be snowier than recent years, so time will tell I suppose.

We are now having an issue w/ getting snow off our deck, as the snow around it is higher than the deck, lol. Guess I have to stop being lazy, and actually lift the shovel and throw instead of just pushing snow off.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:14 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,758 times
I just have to convince my teen boys that a little hard work won't kill them. :P Now that is a tough sell.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:15 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
You may have to learn some new bribery tactics!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
LOL, same question we all ask when there is a year with mega-snow. You just keep piling it, next year you will know where works and where doesn't. I know this doesn't help at all this year though. See out the windows in February, some years yes, some years no. Now for the smarty pants answer - of course you can see out the windows, you may just see snow piled against them though. (The devil got me for a moment, couldn't help myself )

I'll try to find a photo of my place last winter when we didn't get much in the way of snow up here.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:28 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I've never known.....may your days be merry and bright, and may all your Christmases be white!" ~Bing Crosby version

And may you not get completely buried before it's over!! Let me know if we need to send out search and rescue.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
We push the snow back as far as possible every time we plow. It's usually not necessary but once in a while we get a very snowy winter and are glad we did. When you start shoveling with the first snow, throw the snow as far off the drive and walks as possible.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times
HEY, I was JUST thinking this the other day. It seems like the temps aren't falling below 32 and we just keep getting more and more snow. I thought if we had a few days in a row of unusually high temps we would just flood out here!

Our first winter in Maine is turning out to be quite an adventure!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:48 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
The snow banks are getting higher and higher and soon I won't be able to throw snow on top cause I am too short.
Boy, I know that one well! LOL I am 5 feet tall and love to shovel. I'd come help but it would be a heck of a commute at the moment! LOL

Not that my solution will help you much this year, either... but what I did was to make sure when the winter started, to throw the snow as FAR as I could into the yard, and I got the kids to help me "sculpt" the piles on the parking strip (not sure what you call it in Maine.. the bit of yard between the sidewalk and the street...) keeping them flat. they had small shovels and had a blast...
The result was that I wasn't trying to throw snow OVER big piles as the winter went on, and on the parking strip, there was more space to pile it.

You WILL build up your arms! You will be surprised by the end of the winter how much farther you can fling it than you could when winter started, too! I have noticed some snow shovels with interesting, funky handles that purport to make it easier to fling the white stuff and look forward to being able to use-test them... anyone got any user reports?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:49 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
We push the snow back as far as possible every time we plow. It's usually not necessary but once in a while we get a very snowy winter and are glad we did. When you start shoveling with the first snow, throw the snow as far off the drive and walks as possible.
great minds think alike? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine