Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:06 PM

20 posts, read 25,047 times

Advertisements

Another mid-Atlantic couple that retired and moved to Maine. We ran our realtor ragged last summer, then again for a month early spring before finding a house in Edgecomb. We were fortunate to sell our house in DC in 24-hours (although it took about a year to get everything ready.)

We've been here a month now and it's everything we expected - nice weather, friendly people, good health care (yeah, I had to visit the hospital a couple days ago . . . OK now), good food stores, etc. A little disappointed in the commercials on the classical radio station and in the weak cell phone connection, but that's about it. Hope to be here a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:46 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Green, how did the house hunting go?
It was interesting. Time will tell if it was successful.

We looked at 10 houses. In the first 9, we each had a favorite (a house that the other liked as well, just not as much), and 7 that were disappointments. Two or three of them - including the one we both REALLY liked from what we saw online - were complete disasters, and I understand now why they are still on the market.

Then we saw the last of the ten houses, and we both had the same reaction. We started to smile when we pulled up in front of the house, and those smiles just got bigger as we explored the house and property. It has everything we were looking for except a garage (and that's something we can live without, or see about having one built).

We'll be putting an offer in tomorrow. It will have to be contingent on selling this house ... it goes on the market next week, and I'm optimistic it will sell fairly quickly.

It was, as always, wonderful to be in Maine again, albeit briefly. I'm hoping our next trip up to Maine will be one way.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:44 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

We looked at 10 houses. In the first 9, we each had a favorite (a house that the other liked as well, just not as much), and 7 that were disappointments. Two or three of them - including the one we both REALLY liked from what we saw online - were complete disasters, and I understand now why they are still on the market.

Then we saw the last of the ten houses, and we both had the same reaction. We started to smile when we pulled up in front of the house, and those smiles just got bigger as we explored the house and property. It has everything we were looking for except a garage (and that's something we can live without, or see about having one built).

We'll be putting an offer in tomorrow. It will have to be contingent on selling this house ... it goes on the market next week, and I'm optimistic it will sell fairly quickly.

It was, as always, wonderful to be in Maine again, albeit briefly. I'm hoping our next trip up to Maine will be one way.
It won't let me rep you again, but congrats and keep us posted!

Old 08-03-2014, 04:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:

Very nice update.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:32 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
We're inching closer. Our offer was accepted, which is good, but expected. The seller didn't lose anything by accepting, since he's free to continue to market his house and free to accept an offer that, unlike ours, is not contingent on the sale of the buyer's home.

That said, I admit we did a little happy dance when we heard the news.

Locally, our house was listed today, and a photographer came in to take some pictures to add to the listing. I've seen his work, and his pictures will put our house in the best possible light. We'll take any help we can get.

Meanwhile, we've continued to think positive thoughts, and to make plans based on the assumption that things will work out for us. We're pre-approved for a mortgage at a Maine credit union, and we've had a mover come to the house and give us an estimate on moving our stuff north.

Not much else we can do at this point, other than continue going through our stuff and weeding out things no longer needed/wanted.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:40 AM

I'm wondering if most retired Mainers "age in place" or if they wind up going into assisted living and nursing homes. Are there programs or agencies that help with staying in one's home in elder years? What are the towns most likely to have senior transportation?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:50 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
New folks should understand what REAL WINTER is all about before retiring to "down east "

Old 08-13-2014, 06:08 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
New folks should understand what REAL WINTER is all about before retiring to "down east "
I guess I do not understand what you mean by that comment.

As a farmer, I tend to think of coastal Maine as having a much more mild climate, being buffered a lot by ocean climate, as compared to inland Maine.

My Dw and I rather enjoy Maine winters.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

As a farmer, I tend to think of coastal Maine as having a much more mild climate, being buffered a lot by ocean climate, as compared to inland Maine.

Maine winters are no worse than where I live in Western New England. Some periods in winter we have it colder, with more snow. I think Maine may get more ice than here.

Anyway, that was not my question.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:46 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Folks from the "Mid Atlantic " states, Texas northern N.J. planning to retire to Eastport .
The sun sets earlier about 3;55 pm snow is deeper and last much longer on the ground [ lower angle of the sun].A normal temp in Eastport is record cold in Austen Tex.
Submariner, You have lived here...Winter mild on the coast to you is record cold to Mid Atlantic folks...Ben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine