Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
It would be helpful if people said where in Maine, or at least which section, they are. Obviously the temps/conditions in Maine can vary as much as it does in say Virginia- from 2 foot of snow to only ice etc.

I am loving our town. While we are the new ones here, and all welcome with the same statement, obviously open to give advice etc.

We saw a bull moose the other night. Big guy that walked out into our yard- looked around, and walked back into the woods. Truely- a sight to see for sure !
Wow, Princeton is way way up there! Why did you choose that town for retirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 05:45 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wow, Princeton is way way up there! Why did you choose that town for retirement?
Its considered the Down East Acadia area so we are about 17 miles from Calais. We are about easterly 45 miles from Bangor.
We choose the area due to price of housing and of course- the Sportsman Paradise
I will say this- I need to find a good fishing rod as so close to so many big lakes.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:52 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Its considered the Down East Acadia area so we are about 17 miles from Calais. We are about easterly 45 miles from Bangor.
We choose the area due to price of housing and of course- the Sportsman Paradise
I will say this- I need to find a good fishing rod as so close to so many big lakes.
To me, any towns up above Bangor are more like being part of Canada. Am I far off on that idea?

Old 09-20-2014, 08:01 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Not too far off. We are very closely connected with Canada, in many ways.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Not too far off. We are very closely connected with Canada, in many ways.
Same here but veryyyyyyyy different weather we have from how it is where you are. Obviously you in a much colder far northern than Princeton.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:09 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Same here but veryyyyyyyy different weather we have from how it is where you are. Obviously you in a much colder far northern than Princeton.
Well, you are only an hour from Houlton. I consider Virginia or Texas to have "VERY" different weather than us!!

Old 09-25-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Well, you are only an hour from Houlton. I consider Virginia or Texas to have "VERY" different weather than us!!
Ohhhhhhhh totally !

Old 10-08-2014, 06:07 PM

215 posts, read 312,195 times
If I could jump in here with a little lesson learned and a definite incentive for moving to Maine if there ever was one.

I moved back to my home state of Maryland last summer and I was and am very happy I did so. The weather here was certainly hot, but being retired now, I came to appreciate central air and going out in the heat to "warm up when needed." I lived on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake twenty-five years ago, so it was a natural thought to think of the area for retirement. Well, I was in Maine too long, it remains under my skin and I miss it! (that's why I was reading this thread). So, my friends, I guess it would be good for those who think leaving the cold, long winters of Maine is the answer when, in reality, you miss all of its good parts. You leave and appreciate it in an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" kind of way.

I plan to put my house on the market and return in spring, Lord willing. I will be returning to low crime (would you believe I was in a high speed chase here!!?) and the beauty of a beautiful state. I have to live in the woods or some remote place, though, because before I moved away, I was suffering from unbelievable taxes (now raised to $4500/yr on my old house), so I want relief from that.

I have been told that I must be truly a Mainer at heart. As a footnote, I did run into someone recently who knew people who moved here from Maine and then, in a couple of years, turned right around and moved back. That says a lot about what Maine does to you!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 AM

375 posts, read 609,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absiesmom View Post
If I could jump in here with a little lesson learned and a definite incentive for moving to Maine if there ever was one.

I moved back to my home state of Maryland last summer and I was and am very happy I did so. The weather here was certainly hot, but being retired now, I came to appreciate central air and going out in the heat to "warm up when needed." I lived on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake twenty-five years ago, so it was a natural thought to think of the area for retirement. Well, I was in Maine too long, it remains under my skin and I miss it! (that's why I was reading this thread). So, my friends, I guess it would be good for those who think leaving the cold, long winters of Maine is the answer when, in reality, you miss all of its good parts. You leave and appreciate it in an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" kind of way.

I plan to put my house on the market and return in spring, Lord willing. I will be returning to low crime (would you believe I was in a high speed chase here!!?) and the beauty of a beautiful state. I have to live in the woods or some remote place, though, because before I moved away, I was suffering from unbelievable taxes (now raised to $4500/yr on my old house), so I want relief from that.

I have been told that I must be truly a Mainer at heart. As a footnote, I did run into someone recently who knew people who moved here from Maine and then, in a couple of years, turned right around and moved back. That says a lot about what Maine does to you!
This is encouraging to read as I contemplate retiring to Maine; particularly with so much talk of her long winters.

Having spent a lot of time online researching possible relocation locales, my biggest deal breaker is property taxes. I've written off many potential homes because of their location in high-tax towns.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times
this is what prevents me from retiring to Maine....the heating oil costs and the property taxes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine