Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:29 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times

Advertisements

I grew up in this house my parents bought from my paternal grandmother in 1943. I left here at 19 and I'm 53 now. I'm retired Air Force and moved around a bit even England. Like NMLM I enjoyed each place (though La took some doing with the humidity). I even moved a bit after retirement but this was always home. DW asked a few years back if I'd ever move again. I said I had one move left in me with one box and 6 of my closest friends to shift me up the hill. No more. I'm home.

It seems that here anyway, we have an influx of folks that are over 60. Most come here to retire and just enjoy everything. The down side is that they have probably been involved in things before they moved here and now they just want to be on the sidelines. Nothing wrong with that but it leaves us with holes in city boards, committees and no businesses opening except art galleries and "junk-tique" (stolen from WillB) stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:35 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
I agree with NMLM.. try Washington County and welcome to the forums!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In rural Maine many people are born, live and die in the same house. They may travel, but they never live outside Maine. I'm here for the duration and I'm older than dirt. ...
Older than 'dirt'?

I have seen some really old dirt.

When you were at my place digging a ditch for me, you seemed pretty spry to me.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times
Well, I am 60+ and we will be moving full time to our house in Eastport in 16 months. In the meantime, I go up to Eastport in May and stay until late September working on getting the "old Berman place" back into shape. My husband comes up 3 - 4 times during those months until he retires in 16 months.

Many people have said that you need to be in Maine in the winter to know if it's going to work out for you or not and I agree. We came to Eastport in the winter 5 years ago and bought our house in the winter. I grew up on Lake Erie and the lake effect snows and winds are worse there because there are no hills or natural windbreaks in northern Ohio. Eastport is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer because it's an island that benefits from the ocean temps.

We can't wait to be in Maine full time - I'm hoping these next 16 months go by quickly and we'll see ya'll in Eastport in May.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 PM

467 posts, read 1,125,087 times
Hancock or Washington County are both good for finding sea glass and other treasures. I have a couple really unusual pieces I found ...1 is a glass button from what appears to be a victorian ladies dress...the other an amber gemstone out of the setting of a ring. Both found in Hancock County in a place that has a rich and interesting history. . .

Old 03-19-2009, 01:16 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
"When you were at my place digging a ditch for me, you seemed pretty spry to me"

Lest people get the wrong impression, it should be noted that I was sitting on a Diesel tractor with a back hoe as the ditch was dug. I may have snow white hair, but, yes; I am spry. I was out showing land this morning on snowshoes.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
"When you were at my place digging a ditch for me, you seemed pretty spry to me"

Lest people get the wrong impression, it should be noted that I was sitting on a Diesel tractor with a back hoe as the ditch was dug. I may have snow white hair, but, yes; I am spry. I was out showing land this morning on snowshoes.
Working at the store, I have seen a LOT of folks who openly admit their ages -- which are beyond mine in years (being a mere pup, at 60) -- and certainly don't look or act it. Both the ladies and the gents amaze me with their vigor.

Hope it rubs off! Seriously, I think the secret must be in keeping active and not focusing on the less wonderful days which I know we all have from time to time. (or else it's the Allens... most of the oldsters come in for a pint on the weekend...)

I had to don my snowshoes again this morning, too. The remaining snow pack no longer supports my boots, like it did a week or so ago, and the drifts I had to cross to get to the compost and out to check my berry bushes are still deep enough that I did not want to sink in. Bushes are in the clear, but that snow drifted towards the house I guess.

Last edited by starwalker; 03-19-2009 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: adding parenthetical thought

Old 03-19-2009, 02:13 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:

True.

You drove a truck / trailer hauling a tractor here [from far away], beginning in the dark of the morning.

You worked hard all day long operating the tractor, climbing between the driver seat to the backhoe seat hundreds of times. Expertly operating the backhoe, and when the day was nearing over you still had a long drive home again hauling the tractor.

That was no shuffle-board day. You did a lot.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I grew up in this house my parents bought from my paternal grandmother in 1943. I left here at 19 and I'm 53 now. I'm retired Air Force and moved around a bit even England. Like NMLM I enjoyed each place (though La took some doing with the humidity). I even moved a bit after retirement but this was always home. DW asked a few years back if I'd ever move again. I said I had one move left in me with one box and 6 of my closest friends to shift me up the hill. No more. I'm home.

It seems that here anyway, we have an influx of folks that are over 60. Most come here to retire and just enjoy everything. The down side is that they have probably been involved in things before they moved here and now they just want to be on the sidelines. Nothing wrong with that but it leaves us with holes in city boards, committees and no businesses opening except art galleries and "junk-tique" (stolen from WillB) stores.
No more moves for me either.... except that last one, but I'm not worrying about that for a good while.

As far as being involved or not, maybe it's because I don't think in terms of "retire" (I won't be able to) or maybe just 'cause I'm me, but I can't imagine coming to a place and not getting involved. I've not been settled a year and already am neck deep in the local historical society, plotting to deliver produce to the food bank and enjoying working in a locally owned small business. And others of the historical society folk are originally "from away" so I am not the only one.

If I were interested in politics, I would likely be found elsewhere. If I were a church goer, ditto...

I wonder if the retirees you are seeing were part of the "second home" crowd and still really have their roots and focus elsewhere and haven't really mentally moved.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 PM

467 posts, read 1,125,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Now that got me thinking...when we first moved back, my husband received enough "write in" votes to be elected to serve on a committee, of which he declined. We simply wanted to do "artsy" stuff and enjoy Maine. Maybe we've been a bit selfish with our time...thanks for posting something that causes me to rethink the other side of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine