Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:58 AM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times

Advertisements

AWWWH ! that is so sweet of you! I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 01:11 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
...I noticed when living in the south, that the kids got out earlier in June for summer break.....but they went back in August, instead of September...
Wasn't the original reason for summer break from school, so that the kids could work on the farm, also just like "daylight savings time"?

Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Wasn't the original reason for summer break from school, so that the kids could work on the farm, also just like "daylight savings time"?
Yes it was! There are places in Maine that allow kids time off for harvest, usually it's potato time. I don't remember much about it but, seems to me I saw an article not long ago that the tradition is still going.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:51 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I agree....my kids are always ready to go back. I graduated from HS in '84, on June 14th....isn't it funny the things you remember?!
June 9, 1982 at 7 pm. But I can't remember what I need when I get to the store.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:52 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Kids in the county go back in August and are out for a couple of weeks for the potato harvest. It's a dying tradition as mechanical harvesting becomes more popular.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:55 PM

454 posts, read 886,124 times
Quote:
Yup!
What Msina and MW said

Old 12-21-2007, 03:44 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,495 times
You know... I have read the arguments for and against extended summer breaks. But really I just like having the down time with my kids with no homework stress and no absolute schedules.

Now please be good friends and don't bump this post when I'm whining in July about the length of summer. :P

Old 12-21-2007, 03:53 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
You know... I have read the arguments for and against extended summer breaks. But really I just like having the down time with my kids with no homework stress and no absolute schedules.

Now please be good friends and don't bump this post when I'm whining in July about the length of summer. :P

Summer break's a good thing for kids. (Be good for me too! But--)

School life is so regimented. I think it's important for kids to have time just to "be" and to play, and find out who they are and what the world is. It's all learning. (But make 'em do some chores, too! )

Old 12-21-2007, 04:53 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
I agree Gen and Treeluvr I want my time with them I knew a lady who went to our church in Bangor, and I so admired her. Her children are all older than I am, but when they were small, at the beginning of the school year she sent in a note to school. The note said that the school could have them M-Th, but she would be keeping them home on Fridays. If it couldn't be accomplished in four days she didn't see why they should stay a fifth! They used that day to spend the time together, as a family doing a whole variety of things. She took her role as their mother very seriously. It shows

Old 12-22-2007, 05:44 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post

I graduated college in 1962 and grad school in 1970; all well before you got out of high school! I guess that makes me an old foggie and you a young whippersnapper.
Pssst, Elston... you were out of grad school before they got INTO kindergarten, if they graduated in 84.

Just thought I would point that out, being how helpful, and considerate I am.

LOL, sorry, but the devil got into me there and just took over typing duties for a moment. LOL I get the whole age thing as well. Not because I really am that old yet. I still feel like a teenager, but in my mid 40's I don't get away acting like one anymore. I get teased because my DW is 10 years younger than I am. There are still times something comes on the History channel (my personal favorite) and she gets this blank look and dryly comments, oh yeah, you would remember that, but it is before I was thought of yet. Then snickers at me.

Just teasing you, I owe you and your DP a coffee when you get to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine