Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:47 AM

861 posts, read 1,148,081 times

Advertisements

We signed a lease to rent a townhouse in Falmouth for a year. The transition from Austin, Texas will commence in mid-August. The next seven weeks will be quite hectic as I prep the house to sell, pack boxes, go through 22 years of accumulated crap and decide what we really need to transport 2200 miles. But by the first of September we should be all settled in and beginning our retirement. The only thing on the agenda for year one is to look around for a permanent place to buy a house and to explore more of Maine. See you all (not y'all) soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:41 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times
Enjoy!

Old 06-26-2014, 03:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
We signed a lease to rent a townhouse in Falmouth for a year. The transition from Austin, Texas will commence in mid-August. The next seven weeks will be quite hectic as I prep the house to sell, pack boxes, go through 22 years of accumulated crap and decide what we really need to transport 2200 miles. But by the first of September we should be all settled in and beginning our retirement. The only thing on the agenda for year one is to look around for a permanent place to buy a house and to explore more of Maine. See you all (not y'all) soon.

I use to do productivity audits, and got in the habit of creating daily plans,(write down each days/weeks project-this also keeps you focused and less distracted) and what would be done-
on any big event I still do this- so if im "on plan" I don't feel so stressed, and if im ahead of plan/time, I feel much better-kinda breaks down this heavy ball of stress

good luck in your planning/packing
Falmouth is a beautiful area- be sure to plan some escape time when you are unpacking too

Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,782 times
No more 90 degree April days for you! We still have snow on the ground here in April, praying that the Park won't open with snow on the sides of the loop road.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:16 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,129 times
Quote:
Amen, when my folks retired they trucked everything (albeit it wasn't 2k miles) and then put stuff in storage... all told I think they would have been better selling and then buying new stuff when the time came..

good luck with your move and new life!

Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 AM

We are whittling down the furnishings as we prep the house to sell. Very little will be moving north with us beyond a few good pieces of furniture, a couple antiques, and clothes. We may just rent a small Uhaul and do it ourselves (but I think I can talk myself out of that pretty easily - 2100 miles with two cats howling might be a little more than I can take).

Old 08-20-2014, 05:07 AM

All done with the whittling. It was a long two months to get ready, but we finally are in Falmouth. Now if my car and our furniture make it, we will be all set. I think my car arrives today. We drove the 2,047 miles from Austin in four days. Having two cats and being "elderly" made it impossible to travel more than 10 hours in any one day. The movers left around 8:30 Tuesday night and we left a half hour later. We wanted to get out of Austin traffic before starting our journey. So, first night is Waco (now that's a treat), then stops in Memphis, Salem Virginia, New Britain Connecticut and arriving on Saturday just in time to sign our lease. Then off to Walmart to get air mattresses so we had a place to sleep. Multiple trips have followed as we found more essentials that we didn't pack. I think today is Wednesday and the furniture should arrive this weekend. Hopefully by next week we can do some relaxed exploring. Until then, we are enjoying the weather where the highs for the day are lower than the nightly lows in Texas. We love it.

And one other point for those that are curious: everyone we've run into has been incredibly friendly and even go out of their way to help us if we are looking confused or lost.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:47 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
All done with the whittling. It was a long two months to get ready, but we finally are in Falmouth. Now if my car and our furniture make it, we will be all set. I think my car arrives today. We drove the 2,047 miles from Austin in four days. Having two cats and being "elderly" made it impossible to travel more than 10 hours in any one day. The movers left around 8:30 Tuesday night and we left a half hour later. We wanted to get out of Austin traffic before starting our journey. So, first night is Waco (now that's a treat), then stops in Memphis, Salem Virginia, New Britain Connecticut and arriving on Saturday just in time to sign our lease. Then off to Walmart to get air mattresses so we had a place to sleep. Multiple trips have followed as we found more essentials that we didn't pack. I think today is Wednesday and the furniture should arrive this weekend. Hopefully by next week we can do some relaxed exploring. Until then, we are enjoying the weather where the highs for the day are lower than the nightly lows in Texas. We love it.

And one other point for those that are curious: everyone we've run into has been incredibly friendly and even go out of their way to help us if we are looking confused or lost.
If there's one place DH and I would love to be lost in, it's Maine.

Congratulations on that amazing journey!

As retirees we are following your saga. Where are you looking to settle down (what towns)?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times
Step One Complete

As retirees we are following your saga.

Semi-retired here and moving to central Maine this fall. Good Luck to you both.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If there's one place DH and I would love to be lost in, it's Maine.

Congratulations on that amazing journey!

As retirees we are following your saga. Where are you looking to settle down (what towns)?
We are going to start looking at anything within about a 25 minute drive from Old Port in Portland. But who knows what we might discover in the next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine