U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 10:36 AM

19,170 posts, read 22,860,668 times

Advertisements

The most per capita UFO sightings last year were in Vermont, Arizona and Maine - The Washington Post
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 AM

161 posts, read 373,013 times
It's all because of drinking Allen's.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSLubec View Post
It's all because of drinking Allen's.
Heh. Not my thing. I love brandy. I love coffee. But coffee brandy .. ? Ick. The only thing worse I can think of are all those fruity beers. What's the matter with people?!?!?!?

But I have seen a UFO in Maine. I stress I do NOT think it was an alien. I have no idea what it was. It was unidentified, but it was like no other aircraft I have ever seen.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:19 PM

19,284 posts, read 25,798,134 times
I have seen a few, I drive 55-60k miles a year,,,in rural areas all around maine,,,

I actually thought I had a real good video of one just in front of me over the trees.....the iPhone video was going
this was on a road from upton to andover

I stepped out of the car because the thing stopped- kept my video going,,and in a flash -it was gone....
and guess what?? none of that video recorded, or it was somehow erased....
I thought I had some great video

about 15 yrs ago I was coming south on rte 11 - stopped at the patten turn off- beside the road,,,clear fall night - I get out to stretch, and hear this hum sound,, louder - a very low hummmm
then a round object came from the west and just stopped in mid air,,,just humming
deep bluish lights from the round edges,,,
it was around the time the xfiles were on so I got in the car fast and booked it to the irving in Sherman mills

I didn't see it,,,and when travelling south on 95 with mt katadhin on my right,,,i was going quite fast-

I didn't want to be the next allagash incident

Old 08-20-2014, 10:44 AM

Mine wasn't nearly so exciting. I was standing in my front yard in broad daylight two years ago and watching what I thought was an airliner way, way up in the sky. There was no jet noise and no contrail --- but there isn't always with something that high. I couldn't see any wings, but again, I didn't think it was all that unusual since it was obviously a large craft VERY high up. I figured I just couldn't see wings. But it was obviously a large ovular silvery object, moving at about the speed you'd expect to see a jet move at that altitude. So at this point, I just figured it was a jet.

But then it turned instantly at a sharp 95+ degree angle and shot across the sky far faster than any jet could move. It was out of sight in a second or less. Again without a sound.

What was it?

I have no idea. All I know is what I described above. I've never seen any credible evidence to make me think that aliens are visiting Earth. I try to keep an open mind about it, but at this point the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned. But I know of no man-made object that could have done what I saw that object do. So it remains an unidentified flying object.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:36 AM

557 posts, read 762,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Mine wasn't nearly so exciting. I was standing in my front yard in broad daylight two years ago and watching what I thought was an airliner way, way up in the sky. There was no jet noise and no contrail --- but there isn't always with something that high. I couldn't see any wings, but again, I didn't think it was all that unusual since it was obviously a large craft VERY high up. I figured I just couldn't see wings. But it was obviously a large ovular silvery object, moving at about the speed you'd expect to see a jet move at that altitude. So at this point, I just figured it was a jet.

But then it turned instantly at a sharp 95+ degree angle and shot across the sky far faster than any jet could move. It was out of sight in a second or less. Again without a sound.

What was it?

I have no idea. All I know is what I described above. I've never seen any credible evidence to make me think that aliens are visiting Earth. I try to keep an open mind about it, but at this point the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned. But I know of no man-made object that could have done what I saw that object do. So it remains an unidentified flying object.

Think about the technology the government has that we know about.... then think about all the stuff they have that we won't find out about for 10 or 20 years.
Any civilian can buy a remote control drone for ~$500. This drone broadcoast wifi while its flying around, so you can use a smartphone or tablet to control it and view its camera. The quality is near HD quality. The drone even has GPS so if it looses connection with the controller, it safely lands itself back from where it took off at....

Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Think about the technology the government has that we know about.... then think about all the stuff they have that we won't find out about for 10 or 20 years.
Any civilian can buy a remote control drone for ~$500. This drone broadcoast wifi while its flying around, so you can use a smartphone or tablet to control it and view its camera. The quality is near HD quality. The drone even has GPS so if it looses connection with the controller, it safely lands itself back from where it took off at....
I doubt what I saw was a drone, unless there are drones the size of commercial jet airliners that can fly at 35,000+ feet. And no drone I have ever seen can make an instant 95 degree turn and disappear in a second or two.

Jet airliners tend to cruise at about 550 mph, and they crawl slowly across the sky. That's exactly what this thing was doing at first. But after the turn, it had to have been going at least 15 or 20 times that speed. And there was no acceleration. It was an instant change in velocity.

Maybe Tony Stark or Reed Richards is testing some new equipment over Cumberland County, Maine?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:35 PM

557 posts, read 762,246 times
Quote:
I doubt what I saw was a drone, unless there are drones the size of commercial jet airliners that can fly at 35,000+ feet. And no drone I have ever seen can make an instant 95 degree turn and disappear in a second or two.

Jet airliners tend to cruise at about 550 mph, and they crawl slowly across the sky. That's exactly what this thing was doing at first. But after the turn, it had to have been going at least 15 or 20 times that speed. And there was no acceleration. It was an instant change in velocity.

Maybe Tony Stark or Reed Richards is testing some new equipment over Cumberland County, Maine?

I wasnt saying what you saw was a drone, i was just referencing current flying technology that is available to everyone for relatively cheap.... there is a bunch of stuff that we cant buy and we dont know about till after it has already been around for decades. Stealth technology for planes and ships comes to mind.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,892,928 times
Back in the '70's we saw (O.K., while it was the '70's, and we participated in that decade, we saw stuff) the first of the stealth aircraft flying "The Airline" area. Nothing like working on your back cast on the Machias River and some big, unmarked, flat black weird aircraft comes over at treetop level. Mostly bombers, but boy did the F-16's raise your hackles when they were doing their contour thing. You saw them go by, THEN you heard them.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:32 PM

6,485 posts, read 7,534,411 times
Quote:

Alien or no, you can't violate the laws of physics. Forget the gov't, I worked in a DoD research facility for a while, but it'd probably bore you to death if I could tell you about it...it'd be much more interesting if I were to tell the stories about who was doing who...

Drone? You can't tell how far away something is, or how fast it's going, if you don't know how big it is. If it's smaller than you think, it could be much closer than you think, and changes of velocity would appear greater.

Even if there *are* 'aliens', there is absolutely no reason to believe that they are any brighter than we are, and no reason to think that they are any more likely to have discovered a way to [easily] traverse the immense distances of intra- or extra-galactic space...and if there *were* aliens around that were smarter than us, they'd either stay the hell waway from us or exterminate us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: