Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:21 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm from SE PA, and am planning my first visit to Maine for August. I'm viewing different websites, but was wondering what the natives think.

I'm interested in staying near the water within an hour of one of the airports since I plan to rent a car. Any area that is particularly breath-taking? I chose August because I hear that's the only time a person can go into the ocean (?), and I MUST have swimming on any vacation Any suggestions? THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 08:34 AM

263 posts, read 616,246 times
Are you looking for miles of sandy beaches? If so, you will fair better looking an hour drive from the Portland airport.
If you just want ocean...I choose Belfast It is 45 minutes from the Bangor Airport. The mid coast area has both sandy and rocky shore lines.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:20 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arzachena View Post
Are you looking for miles of sandy beaches? If so, you will fair better looking an hour drive from the Portland airport.
If you just want ocean...I choose Belfast It is 45 minutes from the Bangor Airport. The mid coast area has both sandy and rocky shore lines.
Thanks so much, arzachena. I just want somewhere I can swim. I've also looked at a couple of these spa-type resorts on the coast. One is called "Cliff House." It is located in Algonquit. I suppose the Maine beaches are thoroughly crowded in August?? Just wondering how far in advance to book a lodging once I decide where to go.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:59 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Cliff House in Ogunquit is a beautiful old hotel/resort. My son's elopement dinner was held there. (I got invited to the elopement). It has spectacular views of the rocky coast. My Dad has stories of working at the Cliff House back in the 1920's or 30's. But I think it is a wee bit fancy and perhaps stodgy, depending on what you are looking for. It isnt a casual relaxed atmoshere--a touch of elegance, at least as I remember. Someone has previously posted a site with lots of vacation rentals....maybe they will again.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:02 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Ok, Ok, Ok, Ok, I know that I am going to get roasted for this, but if this is your first trip to Maine EVER, and have NO idea what you are going to see, then you need to fly in to Bangor and rent a car from there. The reason is that if this is your one and only FIRST time in this state in August, then you need must gotta see Acadia National Park, which is Maine's number one tourist attraction and one of the most visited national parks in the country.

From Bangor, Acadia National Park is about one hour, and so is Camden, Belfast, the Greater Blue Hill Peninsula and Deer Isle-Stonington.

Quite frankly, Ogunquit and the southwestern coast area, including Maine's biggest city, Portland, will be fine to visit the NEXT time that you come to Maine. Yes there are more sandy beaches along the southwestern coast, but it is also far more "urban" than the mid-coast and downeast, let alone inland where you can find mountains and rivers, and wonderful lakes.

It is excellent planning that you are trying to find lodging and book your plans now. YOu will probably get some pretty good early season deals now, but in two months, they will be all gone. You will want to investigate a lot of lodging options, too, as staying right around Acadia, on Mt. Desert Island itself will be rather more expensive than staying off the island and then enjoying Acadia National Park as a day tripper.

Look at the Ellsworth, Maine web site and the Ellsworth Chamber of Commerce web site. You especially want to look at information about The Island Explorer, which is a shuttle bus that will run pretty much all around Mt. Desert Island, including in Acadia National Park. Taking a bus tour through Acadia is the "wave of the future", and will save you a LOT of driving.

And yes, you can swim in the ocean in July and August in Acadia National Park. Try Sand Beach, which is great for swimming in the warmest two months. Well, ah, sure: it is all relative: a warm day will see water temps all the way up to, oh, fifty degrees....

Old 12-26-2007, 06:09 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Oh, yes, and another alternative. You are from SE PA, which means tha tyou will probably be flying from Philly? If you can make flight reservations that will take you to Boston, change there to the commuter flight that will fly from Boston direct to Bar Harbor Airport in Trenton. That flight may be a bit more expensive than flying into Bangor, but Trenton is right at the causeway to Mt. Desert Island. As the aircraft makes the approach to land, you will see Acadia National Park and the island right there off your wing. From the airport you will be able to rent a car, and be close to an awful lot of "downeast" Maine, and only an hour or so from Belfast and Bangor.

Bar Harbor Airport...actually the correct name is Hancock County Airport...is often overlooked as a destination airport because of the overpowering political pull and advertising budget of Bangor International Airport thirty miles away. But if your destination is the coast of downeast and midcoast Maine, flying from Boston to either the airport nearest Bar Harbor is the way to go. You will save one hour of booring driving each way.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:17 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I completely agree with Acadianlion.....another point to make is that swimming in Maine is not done only in the ocean....but in one of 3,000 or so lakes and ponds. You can also find the lakes and ponds in the Acadian area

Old 12-26-2007, 09:46 AM

263 posts, read 616,246 times
I love southern Maine and all its Urban greatest.

As a child my family would rent a house on the beach of OOB. Great times!
Yes, it is crowded...so is Bar Harbor.
Acadia is great, but it may not be what everyone is wanting to do in Maine.

I have stayed at the Cliff House and enjoyed our stay.
Start booking your vacation NOW.
Where ever you choose to stay.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I did love Arcadia National Park, but I also love love love the Marginal Way between Ogunquit and Perkins Cove and the sandy beaches that stretch all the way from Ogunquit to Wells. I find the Old Port of Portland charming!

But if I were planning a first vacation, I would probably hit mid coastal Maine; I have never done it but very much want to take the excursion train from Brunswick up to Rockport, stopping and enjoying all the stops along the way--I know I could make it an overnight trip but it looks like you could spend even more time visiting museums, shops, going out on the bay and eating at seafood resturants and diners. I can hardly wait to ride it.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:16 PM

73 posts, read 148,183 times
Geesh, I feel all alone down here in the Sebago Lake area. All you guys are rooting for the northern side of Maine and on the coast or down below me. What about me and my little piece of heaven. Sebago Lake allows for renting homes to a resort at Point Sebago. They offer some real fun times. Have any of you tried that. And we aren't far from the Portland Jet port.
I will now crawl back into my little place.
Sue from Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine