Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Understood, but the OP was reading and paraphrasing paragraph 12 of the Purchase and Sale Agreement.

A feature of the property is not to be negotiated during the building inspection, which is designed to bring up safety hazards and code violations not previously disclosed by the seller. Trying to get a lower price because you change your mind about a cosmetic item or feature that should have been taken into account in the previous negotiation is a mistake that some buyers and buyers agents make quite often.

REALTORS hired by the seller are charged with putting the seller's property in the best light and to get the best price and terms for their seller client. REALTORS hired by the buyer are charged with making sure the buyer has as many facts as possible and then helping to negotiate the best price and terms for their buyer client.
Just a thought I'd like to share...

I do not allow the seller or the seller's agent to be present during home inspection on the few properties I have bought. I am paying an independent contractor to give me a private consultation that I do not want the seller or his/her agent to know. If I want leverage to lower the price, I would use something that the seller could argue if the seller were present (such as iffy roof, etc). If I want to get out of the final contract for whatever reason (once at an inspection we heard a gang of kids screaming under a basketball hoop under a bedroom window of the house we were considering), I want to be able to make a general statement about the property as to why I am pulling out, without argument or legal hassle. Being present at inspection also works against the seller, because the seller then "knows" what is deemed to be wrong and must disclose it in the listing information. What one doesn't "know" one doesn't have to report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 06:42 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Congratulations, GreenGene!

So nice to hear that everything went smoothly. Now prepare for the onslaught of summer guests. Please post your address.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:23 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Please post your address.
{chuckle} That's a good one!

Old 10-07-2014, 01:41 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Quick update .... Settlement went fine, both in VA and here in ME. We had to wait for a LONG time for our furniture to arrive, camping out in our new digs & sleeping on an air mattress. But our stuff arrived today, the movers have moved on, and my wife & I are busy opening boxes and organizing stuff.

I suspect the "opening and organizing" will go on for many days, but we're in no hurry.

It feels GREAT to be here, finally and officially.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:07 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Congratulations, GreenGene!

So nice to hear that everything went smoothly. Now prepare for the onslaught of summer guests. Please post your address.
Depending on how old you are, many of those people who said they were going to come, just don't seem to remember that. We bought a big house because everyone we know said they would come. To date, few have actually paid us a visit. When you have to drive 14 hours to get here it does slow down on the visitors. We don't really care. Its their loss.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 PM

613 posts, read 943,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Depending on how old you are, many of those people who said they were going to come, just don't seem to remember that. We bought a big house because everyone we know said they would come. To date, few have actually paid us a visit. When you have to drive 14 hours to get here it does slow down on the visitors. We don't really care. Its their loss.
Last I lived in FL; in the late 1970's, every Spring all the relatives, in-laws, & deadbeats showed up. Like clockwork. People who I really would've liked to have visited, didn't. And unless you really like the people; having house guests is not a lot of fun. And they always overstay their welcome & kind of take over your life. I think one guy just visited b/c he had the "hots" for my then-wife. Oh, & I had to endure all of her guests........

But I love Maine tho--if you don't have enough visitors; do you have a spare guest room I could use? I wouldn't stay more than a month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine