Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:18 PM

21 posts, read 20,682 times

Advertisements

I remember stocking up on 22 ammo a few years ago and thinking the prices then were crazy. Glad I didn't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
The ammunition shortage is a real thing. Here

Gist:

Obama election and Sandy Hook has caused huge demand for guns and ammo. (Which is ironic as Obama has never so much as hinted at proposing gun-control legislation, but nothing like having a good bogeyman to get people to buy)

Gun and ammo manufacturers know their sales are tied to political climate, which is at best uncertain at this point (mid-terms coming up, Presidential election in 2016). Therefore, they are hesitant to build new facilities to keep up with demand, only to shutter them if a political winds shift in the future. Instead they have squeezed whatever production they can out of existing facilities. It hasn't been enough between the bogeyman, the increased interest in shooting sports in this country.

Also, I think there is also a tendency of people who see hoarding to hoard themselves...

Old 09-10-2014, 10:29 PM

Summary: President Obama Gun Proposals

Obama has done more than just hint at it.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:29 AM

506 posts, read 683,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
Summary: President Obama Gun Proposals

Obama has done more than just hint at it.
I know, huh. I hear that they are forming a secret force to come take your guns while you sleep. Can't trust that dang Muslin........

Old 09-12-2014, 01:21 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
I know, huh. I hear that they are forming a secret force to come take your guns while you sleep. Can't trust that dang Muslin........
There's really more to it than that, and the effort is completely bipartisan. My greatest concern in recent years is the militarization of municipal police forces and the often utilized "shoot to kill" policies. Maine has had a number of law enforcement shootings over the years, some of which were highly questionable executions or attempts at execution (a recent sniper headshot that didn't take down in Ellsworth, for example). Police should have latitude, no doubt, when confronted with deadly force. But things have really, really changed over the last 20 years.

I'll admit a social liberal bent, but a "cold dead hands" attitude when it comes to some twit deciding to limit my access to my firearms and ammunition. And that's where some of the pundits should avoid politicizing firearms as a "them and us" issue.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:35 PM

337 posts, read 429,837 times
South of Maine in MA and CT the 2nd amendment climate has been oppressive. In CT, my current location, the current government has made literally tens of thousands of citizens felons under the current law. It is more than oppressive, it is an outright frontal attack on our constitutional rights. That's why I moved my now 'illegal' rifles to NH to protect them from having to be physically registered in CT. And, that's why my wife and I are going to move to Maine.........or at least one of the reasons. Mainers are individuals and the state, while it has it foibles, has not overstepped their bounds and citizens can still exercise their constitutional rights. Thank God for that because we want to stay in New England but can't stay in Connecticut any longer, not just because of the 2A issues but because of so many other uber liberal efforts being foisted on us here in the so-called "constitution state". We can have a civil discussion about social issues. When it come to supporting the constitution, however, there is no discussion. Connecticut and Massachusetts seem to have forgotten their roots but Maine, New Hampshire, and to some extent Vermont remain resolute. Thank goodness for you all.

Rome

Old 09-12-2014, 03:18 PM

I checked the banned list. All "assault weapons" or "sporterized" assault weapons. Mega-clips and pistol grips. Nothing in my gun cabinet would be banned. I'm not saying the law is anything I'd put up with, but I've got a feeling if it gets to the Supreme Court, it won't get overturned. You can still bear arms, you just can't have tactical style weapons without registering them. I love playing with a good fully auto once in awhile, but never felt the need to own one, nor to get a CWP. One of my concerns these days is the nutcakes that obtain a CWP and think they're going to pull it out and protect everyone if something comes up. I can just see two CWP holders in Denny's emptying their manhood on each other one of these days. Up until the 1990's, my son could still take his .30-.30 to school behind the seat of the truck after deer hunting and not risk trouble.

The trouble with the law is the age-old saw. Only the outlaws will have guns. Got absofrigginloutely nothing to do with "uber liberals." It's the politics of appeasement. Something bad happend, and the CT law was the best they could do with the whole country watching. It may be wrong, but referenda work if there's enough support.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post

Gun owners don't trust him and wisely so. Obama proved how trustworthy he was when he promised the American people they could keep their doctors and insurance plans.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
South of Maine in MA and CT the 2nd amendment climate has been oppressive. In CT, my current location, the current government has made literally tens of thousands of citizens felons under the current law. It is more than oppressive, it is an outright frontal attack on our constitutional rights. That's why I moved my now 'illegal' rifles to NH to protect them from having to be physically registered in CT. And, that's why my wife and I are going to move to Maine.........or at least one of the reasons. Mainers are individuals and the state, while it has it foibles, has not overstepped their bounds and citizens can still exercise their constitutional rights. Thank God for that because we want to stay in New England but can't stay in Connecticut any longer, not just because of the 2A issues but because of so many other uber liberal efforts being foisted on us here in the so-called "constitution state". We can have a civil discussion about social issues. When it come to supporting the constitution, however, there is no discussion. Connecticut and Massachusetts seem to have forgotten their roots but Maine, New Hampshire, and to some extent Vermont remain resolute. Thank goodness for you all.

Rome

Well said.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
Gun owners don't trust him and wisely so. Obama proved how trustworthy he was when he promised the American people they could keep their doctors and insurance plans.
Funny, I kept my doctors and got better insurance for less money. A LOT less money. You sure you aren't spouting Beckisms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine