Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 5,854 times

Advertisements

My husband's job may be relocating us to Maine from Texas. The areas of possibility are Bangor and/or Belfast. We have never been to Maine and are very nervous and we are looking for some insight from the natives. Also what are good areas for children as well as the schools. We have 4 children from Elem. to High School. Also just any helpful information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:20 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Bangor schools are good. Hampden schools are better and newer. Several towns around Belfast have good schools. I don't know about Belfast schools.

Maine needs people. If you arrive with a job you will be most welcome. That said, we do have real winters. One of your vehicles should have all wheel drive. Once you see the difference, both of your vehicles will soon be all wheel drive.

Southern vehicles get much better trade in values because they are generally rust free.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:59 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
In addition to the all wheel drive vehicle, don't forget to budget for winter clothes for everyone. I imagine with a family of 6, it won't be cheap.

Maine folks are friendly but they also respect your privacy. This may come across as stand-offish to someone from away. It's not really-just another kind of friendly than what you might be used to.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:19 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Bring a lifetime supply of good tortillas, because if there are any in Maine, I haven't found them yet.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:09 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
In addition to the all wheel drive vehicle, don't forget to budget for winter clothes for everyone. I imagine with a family of 6, it won't be cheap.
Good point. With my four kids (a girl and three boys), I bought "unisex" the best quality winter coats and boots for the oldest, which got handed down to each of the others. For the youngest, I bought the cheapest or went to Goodwill, as it was the end of the line in terms of hand-downs and kids outgrow so quickly. My grown kids now still joke about how they had to wear boots too big for them with plastic bags stuffed in their toes, lol. Dressing little kids every day in their outerwear for winter can get real old by Feb. Teach the oldest to do it.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:20 AM

Thank you for some of the replies! From what we know right now they will give us an allowance for winter clothes. I did not really think of all wheel drive truck but that makes sense. Why are they stand offish toward others? We are very friendly people.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnew2010 View Post
Thank you for some of the replies! From what we know right now they will give us an allowance for winter clothes. I did not really think of all wheel drive truck but that makes sense. Why are they stand offish toward others? We are very friendly people.
Unless you find a home in a rural location, I wouldn't worry too much about an all-wheel vehicle. We've never had one and never needed one. Unless you have to go out in the middle of a blizzard, roads are generally kept clear. Most Maine communities do a great job of keeping the roads clear even during heavy storms.

Mainers are not unfriendly, but the social protocol is probably different that what you're used to.

Where I grew up in eastern NM (which is basically west Texas), nothing is off limits for conversation. It's just considered being neighborly. New Englanders are more private and reserved. It's not that they're unfriendly, it's that they respect your boundaries and expect you to do the same. The problem arises because folks from the south and southwest tend to have much broader boundaries than New Englanders.

Just as an example:

Person A: "Hi. How are you?"

Person B: "Doing well. My daughter has been sick, but she's on the mend."

Person B has volunteered that info about her daughter, thus telling Person A that she thinks it's okay to talk about. It is now open for conversation. However, had the conversation been more like:

Person A: "Hi. How are you?"

Person B: "Fine. How are you?"

Person A: "Fine, thanks. I hear your daughter has been sick. How is she doing?"

So even though Person A is expressing genuine concern, Person B might feel that Person A is being nosey and should mind her own business.

I will forewarn you that eventually you will run into the Cranky Yankee who has a chip on his or her shoulder about anything and everything from away. Cranky Yankee actually looks for things to get offended about and will parse every word you say. Cranky Yankee is NOT the norm. At all. 99.999% of people in Maine are friendly people who would give you the shirt off their back. But you will eventually until into that exception to the rule. When that happens, just shrug it off, smile, and go about your business. I've never run into a Cranky Yankee younger than 50, but I'm sure one or two exist somewhere.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Thank you so much for the clarification. Are you currently in Maine now?

Old 09-11-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnew2010 View Post
Thank you so much for the clarification. Are you currently in Maine now?
Yup. In the Brunswick area.

I've been to Bangor several times. It's nice as big towns go, but a tad too large for my taste. It's a fun place to visit, but if I had a job in Bangor, personally I'd look for a house in one of the smaller communities outside of town. I'm just not a city person.

Never been to Belfast, but I've heard good things about it.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:46 AM

There is a house that I am looking at currently that is between Bangor and Ellsworth. We are wanting the smaller cities since we are coming from Dallas we want more family oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine