Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 04:22 PM

653 posts, read 1,777,436 times

Advertisements

If exciting and changeable weather is your thing.. you'll be bored to tears this upcoming week. Most of you however will be relishing in an unusually extended period of tranquil mild conditions once we get past this system moving through thisevening. A moist southerly flow is causing some locally dense sea fog to move ashore which will influence the I-95 corridor until the front moves through tonight which will have some showers and a few flashes of lightning with it. Then.. wow! a long stretch of mostly sunny, mild days and crisp cool nights starting tomorrow and lasting right through next weekend before a pattern change to more unsettled conditions the following week, and even then, nothing much to write home about. Enjoy the indian summer weather.. some places away from the shore may hit the low 80's by Thursday/Friday.. even perhaps as far north as Waterville and Rangeley but night time lows still will dip as low as 35-45 degrees, slightly warmer along and east of I-95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 05:11 PM

83,283 posts, read 74,503,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
If exciting and changeable weather is your thing.. you'll be bored to tears this upcoming week. Most of you however will be relishing in an unusually extended period of tranquil mild conditions once we get past this system moving through thisevening. A moist southerly flow is causing some locally dense sea fog to move ashore which will influence the I-95 corridor until the front moves through tonight which will have some showers and a few flashes of lightning with it. Then.. wow! a long stretch of mostly sunny, mild days and crisp cool nights starting tomorrow and lasting right through next weekend before a pattern change to more unsettled conditions the following week, and even then, nothing much to write home about. Enjoy the indian summer weather.. some places away from the shore may hit the low 80's by Thursday/Friday.. even perhaps as far north as Waterville and Rangeley but night time lows still will dip as low as 35-45 degrees, slightly warmer along and east of I-95.
Nice post. Yeah, we have a rare September coastal storm coming up the coast. (usually they happen October thereafter) but Maine and many of us in Northeast got lucky being in between the coastal and the Canadian storm.

Bulk of precip will stay off shore and hit Nova Scotia while the other stays in Canada.

I like using Intellicast for the surface maps. Intellicast - Mixed Surface Analysis in United States

Or HPC is also good. http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/archive...fc_archive.php

Old 09-22-2014, 09:04 AM

565 posts, read 927,183 times
This is my favorite winter map, just shows accumulated snow depth;
NERFC Snow Depth Map

Then the others I use:
NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration for the immediate forecast of the next few days.
Weather.com for hourly forecast of that day, can tell about when its gonna start raining or snowing.
Wunderground.com for the wundermap and radar images.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:27 PM

334 posts, read 424,895 times
Quote:
Very encouraging. My wife and I are headed up to Acadia on Saturday for a week of camping. Ya never know what this time of year will hold for us but right now the extended range forecast (15 days) says we won't have a washout nor a blizzard so we're good to go! It will be interesting to see how much pop the color will have up there. I know that in only a week it can go from mild to quite vibrant. Should be fun!

Thanks for providing the guidance, not that we wouldn't go anyway but it's nice to know there are no major events popping up that will pull in major precip.

Rome

Old 09-22-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Very encouraging. My wife and I are headed up to Acadia on Saturday for a week of camping. Ya never know what this time of year will hold for us but right now the extended range forecast (15 days) says we won't have a washout nor a blizzard so we're good to go! It will be interesting to see how much pop the color will have up there. I know that in only a week it can go from mild to quite vibrant. Should be fun!

Thanks for providing the guidance, not that we wouldn't go anyway but it's nice to know there are no major events popping up that will pull in major precip.

Rome
Both the US and European models still depict a very quiet pattern however, I'm watching a low pressure system which models are suggesting may be a little stronger and closer to the coast line by around Wednesday night/Thursday time frame, this could be a fly in the ointment but as of now, just a brief increase in cloudiness near the shoreline including Acadia around then, but may just stay far enough off shore where it won't even be noticed. Saturday and maybe Sunday should be the warmest days. May have temperatures as warm as 75-80F in Acadia if a sea breeze doesn't kick in. Elsewhere, previous forecast post still intact.. 80-85F possible from Pittsfield, Lewiston to Bridgton Friday-Sunday if winds stay offshore and upper level winds stay southwest or west. Later Sunday/Monday give or take a day.. a cold front should move thru.. dropping temperatures to around the low 60's for highs and night time lows near 40 for Acadia N.P. Moisture if any, inconsequential. A fog patch isn't out of the question prior to the frontal passage. For the rest of your stay.. still dry for the most part until around Wednesday (Oct 1).. after then, another frontal system make present itself but that's 9 days out, and much can change in the wonderful world of weather. Hope you can post some pics under the Maine picture thread of your trip Cuffler.. have fun!

Old 09-24-2014, 06:57 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,898,619 times
Quote:
Which weekend, this coming weekend or the weekend after?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 AM

334 posts, read 424,895 times
Thanks Rocky! Looks like now that this current rain event will stay coastal and be blowing off shore the further north you go as predicted. Here in CT we're supposed to receive less rain north toward MA with the worst (quite heavy 2"+) being at the shore itself. Fortunately it's not being funneled up the coast but blown off according to what I can see by the current weather maps.

Camping in the woods always exposes you to varied weather conditions, of course, and we do have wet-weather contingencies but looks like this coming week will be an attractive one. Can't wait to record sunrise on Cadillac Mountain. We're also going to do the night-sky cruise on Sunday night out of Bar Harbor. It's supposed to be really interesting.

We'll be sure to post up a few shots when we return. You almost can't take a bad picture there.

Rome

Old 09-24-2014, 08:03 AM

A preview of how your stay in the Bar Harbor/Acadia NP area will be like. This is one outstanding webcam for that area. Enjoy!

http://937thewave.com/wavecams/bluenose1/camera1.jpg

Another one you'll like from Acadia NP: http://www.hazecam.net/camsite.aspx?site=acadia

Old 09-28-2014, 10:47 AM

83,283 posts, read 74,503,009 times
Map below, found here, is showing how far off from normal we are with precip this month.

As of 9/27. Portland is having their 12th driest September on record with only 0.87" this month. And that's since 1881 so pretty impressive.

A few other locations dry this month as well..

NYC is having their 14th driest September on record (since 1871). Only 1.21" this month.

Providence 2nd driest (since 1905) only 0.64"!

Boston 6th driest (since 1872) with only 0.52"

Moderator cut: please supply link to weather map only. Copy righted material is not allowed on this site. tHANKS,

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-29-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 AM

506 posts, read 678,902 times
What a beautiful summer weekend that was!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine