Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 07:35 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Rain coming. See. I'm never worried about droughts. Lol

https://twitter.com/SurfSkiWxMan/sta...46496480100352
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:12 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Around this time of year I become grateful to live in Maine. We may have cold and snow, but no hurricanes, tornadoes, flash floods, big wild fires, earthquakes, volcanoes, deadly heat waves, major droughts, etc. etc. etc.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Around this time of year I become grateful to live in Maine. We may have cold and snow, but no hurricanes, tornadoes, flash floods, big wild fires, earthquakes, volcanoes, deadly heat waves, major droughts, etc. etc. etc.
Yup. I say the same thing. Even though I'd rather be in Maine, living here No tornadoes, earthquakes, big wild fires, deadly heat waves, major droughts, flooding(at least where I am located) to worry about.. and best of all, a strong sea breeze breaks apart storms like today and we don't get as hot as the interior. Same temp here as it was in Bangor. Hartford was 8 degrees hotter!

One thing that sucks is the life sucking humidity here. And I prefer temps stay below 50° all year including summer, below freezing in Fall and winter and 5+ feet of snow

Old 05-26-2015, 08:03 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
We had a major drought back around 1994. Some ponds dried up. I could walk across the Mattawamkeag River stepping from stone to stone and not get a wet foot. Back around 1978 we had to cancel a canoe trip down the St. John due to low water. We did the St. Francis and the Little Black instead, two shorter trips. There was water running south out of Quebec.

I have an old AMC river guidebook that described every canoeable stream in New England. (Spell checker wants to change that word into cannonball. My spell checker causes screen freezes if I post a list of Maine river names such as Wytopitlock, Passadumkeag, Wallamatogus and Pockwockamus.)

A family in a van pulled up to an intersection and looked around. There were no road signs. People up here generally know where they are going and road signs often end up on an office wall down in some city. Just then a trout fisherman with hip boots and a fly rod climbed over the guard rail. The driver called him over to the van.

"Where does this road go?"

Macwahoc.

Well, where does this right go?

Wytopitlock.

How about that road on our left?

Molunkus.

Well we just came through a town back there with a big bridge and a gas station. What town was that?

Mattawamkeag.

The wife leaned over and asked the driver, "What did he say dear?"

The driver replied,"Poor fellow doesn't speak English."

Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 AM

Has it been dry? You guys aren't alone.

//www.city-data.com/forum/39775849-post96.html

Old 05-27-2015, 08:50 AM

It has been dryer than normal and The Farm Report says the next 30 days will be dryer than normal and warmer than normal. I just mowed my lawn this morning for the first time and it isn't even June yet. I watch The Farm Report at 5 AM nearly every Sunday Morning. Over the years they are very accurate with their 7 day, 30 day and 90 day forecasts.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times
Humidity is relative to where a person is living. In Eastport for example, people think humidity at 34% is horrible, I think it's delightful. I love Eastport in the summer mostly because in West Virginia, the humidity can and does rise over 85% any given summer day. We'll be headed there shortly.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Humidity is relative to where a person is living. In Eastport for example, people think humidity at 34% is horrible, I think it's delightful. I love Eastport in the summer mostly because in West Virginia, the humidity can and does rise over 85% any given summer day. We'll be headed there shortly.
Dew points are a better measure than humidity. Humidity I hope goes extinct one day. There's flaws in that. There could be less humidity in Florida but its muggier.

For instance Miami its 50% humidity right now vs Nantucket at at 73% humidity but its muggier in Miami because the DP is 66° there compared to 58° in Nantucket.

Dew point reading shows the mugginess more.

Cool thread we started on dew points... //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...nt-thread.html

Old 05-27-2015, 02:14 PM

In the Mekong Delta of Vietnam, it could be 105 degrees with 100% humidity. Moisture would condense on our bodies. Sweating did not cool you. It was very difficult to stay hydrated because the water quality was so poor. We all had diarrhea. Everything was wet which was bad for electronics. Then the monsoon changed direction. It was 105 degrees, but the humidity was low. It became bearable, but the silty dust got into everything.

There is a project about Huey helicopters called "In the Shadow of the Blade.The two pilots and two gunners would sit out in front of the Huey in the shadow of the blade, waiting to be scrambled. The shadow of the blade was just wide enough to shade a man. Out there was a chance for a breeze. Inside the Huey it was like a solar oven. We were required to use green paint on the Hueys so we simply mixed black and green paint half and half. It was a really dark green. We were all somewhat dehydrated all the time.

I have pictures of helicopter crews who have white hands and tanned arms. That is because they wore gloves all the time. Everything was too hot to hold with your bare hands.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
I do not like the mugginess at all!! I can't see how anybody can live in muggy areas.
We got some good rain last night and today; pretty much all caught up for spring. (After the storms, around 8:00, everything was the most incredible yellowish glow from the light in the sky..........looked amazing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine