Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2018, 02:13 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Sorry for lack of posts. Last one I posted was the morning before the storm.. Was supposed to get 1-2" here and instead 6-7" fell within 4hrs. Did you see all the records that broke? Earliest 6" snowstorm for NYC. DOT didn't have plows on their trucks (they are still picking up leaves at the curbside)

Anyway - For Maine... ...2nd Snowiest Start to Winter at Caribou...

24.2" of snow.. 1963 with 28.7" of snow by now. Bangor is currently in 7th with 6.2".

here is the storm total map. This map from Gray is for Thursday AND Friday.

Here's another look at the snow totals. Source:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 02:14 PM

Pretty view this morning in Caribou! Interesting record. Gees.

https://twitter.com/NWSCaribou/statu...91003814060032

Old 11-17-2018, 02:28 PM

Looks like a coastal storm Tuesday with more snow coming. More for Southern Maine than north. What a crazy pattern!

And.......... Get the Wools out.

Sub 0°F morning and Only Teens during the day on Thanksgiving day.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:30 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Looks like a coastal storm Tuesday with more snow coming. More for Southern Maine than north. What a crazy pattern!

And.......... Get the Wools out.

Sub 0°F morning and Only Teens during the day on Thanksgiving day.
Predicted by Joe Bastardi at Weatherbell Analytics. We’re heading into a Maunder Minimum. Boston’s last 10 years have been the snowiest in 145 years of record keeping, with 29 major storms.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:38 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Pretty view this morning in Caribou! Interesting record. Gees.

https://twitter.com/NWSCaribou/statu...91003814060032
Usually this time of year feels a little bit like winter. Not this year. It has been ALL winter for the last week or so. I am going to shovel snow off my roof tomorrow........in November! Crazy.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Usually this time of year feels a little bit like winter. Not this year. It has been ALL winter for the last week or so. I am going to shovel snow off my roof tomorrow........in November! Crazy.

That's nuts. Who knows, maybe this means Spring starts in February with 70s. lol It's hard to get 3 full months of pure winter. At least here it is. Usually its 1-2 months then the other is very warm. We'll see. Keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Predicted by Joe Bastardi at Weatherbell Analytics. We’re heading into a Maunder Minimum. Boston’s last 10 years have been the snowiest in 145 years of record keeping, with 29 major storms.

Past decade has been incredible and noticing Arctic air spilling in earlier and later recently.

I kinda seen this coming too when record cold and early snows were happening in Western Canada -Edmonton. Cold air from the arctic was spilling down earlier then normal. Then in the plains and Texas...And here we are again.... after the late cold and snow in March & April. It's the shortest gap between snow events around here.

Many studies I read mentioned these events happened more when sun output was low. It mentions Northeast US, Eastern Canada and Europe sees a cooling trend when solar activity enters quiet stages for long periods..

Past decade has been special. Its the max of cycle 24 I'm looking at mostly. Super Low

Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 AM

Congrats Caribou! I usually make these graphics every Sunday in the winter...

TOP 30 locations in the U.S that are above normal with season snowfall.

Caribou is #1 with 24.5" of snow for the season which is 18.5" above normal to date.

Hartford is 16th most being 7.1" above normal with 7.9" for the season

NYC is 17th spot being 6.4" above normal (All NYC sites on the list)

St Louis on the list as well.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:46 AM

Who would of thought we would see an actual season snowfall total map like this in Mid November. Snow in south and even Northern Maine seeing the 2nd snowiest start to a season on record with 2 feet already.

Source:

Zoomed in

Curious about Caribou? Season Snow totals up to November 18th since 1939.
2018 is 2nd most. 2002 was 3rd. 2014 was 4th.

Source:

Old 11-19-2018, 06:26 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,576 times
Quote:
Who would of thought we would see an actual season snowfall total map like this in Mid November. Snow in south and even Northern Maine seeing the 2nd snowiest start to a season on record with 2 feet already.
Hey there!! It's been too long since my last post. With what looks like an active period shaping up to round out November, I thought I would chime in briefly on what I think will end up being a record setting snowy November for some.

Both the EURO and GFS model suites are strongly indicating that next week could feature not one but two significant events for most of Maine and most of northern New England. I'm sure there will be some "adjustments" on potential tracks and strengths of the storm systems, but I think it's safe to bet that places like Rangeley, Greenville/Moosehead Lake area's and on up towards the Caribou/Presque Isle regions will end up with some staggering November snowfall totals. Further into December may continue an active pattern as well.

Really glad to see this thread alive and well! I'll be monitoring this more during this active period. Meanwhile, not sure if I've suggested this link before or not, but a great weather site I use has THE BEST Euro data available. They have a free trial period and if you sign up is only about 10 bucks a month. The link is below.

https://weathermodels.com/index.php?r=site%2Fstart

Old 11-19-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Hey there!! It's been too long since my last post.

Really glad to see this thread alive and well! I'll be monitoring this more during this active period.
Been too long in between. Nice to see you again. Hope you are more active. And yes... its very nice to see others posting in here as well. This thread is more active than the Vermont Weather thread.

Everyones OBS and posts helps someone else out believe it or not. Helps them realize whats happening and what might come their way. Plus nice to look back on as a history source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine