Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 11:06 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,559,456 times

Advertisements

So the Atlantic Ocean had no effect on modifying Portland's Jetport temps? Damn! Mother Nature's not A-OK with PWM. Thankfully, it's slightly better here near Hartford. 27 at 1 pm beats our whole day of Thanksgiving. Hope you guys warm up in Vacationland, too! ��☀��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 01:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
The Atlantic Ocean's effect on Portland is entirely dependent on wind direction. An easterly wind in winter will warm Portland. A northwesterly wind like we had yesterday produced the coldest Thanksgiving in about 130 years.

We are warm.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:16 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The Atlantic Ocean's effect on Portland is entirely dependent on wind direction. An easterly wind in winter will warm Portland. A northwesterly wind like we had yesterday produced the coldest Thanksgiving in about 130 years.

We are warm.
Exactly, While the ocean and water source usually moderates temps or keeps things warmer than inland, in a pattern like we had it doesn't matter with the wind coming from opposite direction flowing down land.

To add another reason and more importantly.. Surface temps are a reflection of the air mass aloft. Unlike the surface the airmass aloft comes and goes and is more steady.... It was -20C at 5000' over Portland so that's the other reason. Cold air compresses.

The reason for this cold airmass aloft was because there was an Upper Level Low in the Upper part of the atmosphere over Quebec.

Climate and Weather is like a 100 piece puzzle. There's many parts/pieces.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:14 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
The snowfall this month has been impressive, but how about that cold......today felt close to zero, with the wind chill. The record high for the day is 60. \:
It will be in the 30s tomorrow; the first time in ten days to see at least 30! That is amazing for November.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:03 PM

749 posts, read 418,578 times
Currently here at, Aurora, ME...16F Degrees, Dew Point 7F Degrees, Winds WNW 7mph. Clear and a Full Moon Waning....

Awoke to a 6F Degree morning...Rosey hues cast themselves across the Birch Meadows this morning, until an azure sky broke through...Watched the sun rise for the umptheenth time (yes, I know, I'm blessed), this morning...

Truth is I fell on a bit of black-ice at work while exiting my vehicle...It cost my employer an ouching two weeks pay, me...a bruise the size of a tennis ball.. I could confirm I landed on my RIGHT BUTTOCK (as Gump would say)! LOL!

So, within the past two weeks I've been continuing to receive orders on my Beloved's account...
(Beloved suffered a stroke in mid August, only to be home for a week, then to return in September for a more intensive (as they should have done), investigation as to WHY he had one in the first place)).

So, we've been reminded of how gifted Beloved is at woodcarving..Primitave and Rustic hand carved Spoons and other Wooden Kitchen Utensils (the way they carved them hundreds of years ago - when there was no metal to be found)! Opened an account for Beloved on Etsy and he's doing amazing!

Lesson learned and still learning...What may seem to be tragic at the beginning, may be a blessing in disguise!

Old 11-24-2018, 04:46 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
2° this morning. Cleaning up in case we get the dreaded rain, then heading out to cut 2 trees for Christmas.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:19 PM

749 posts, read 418,578 times
Currently here at Aurora, ME, 38F Degrees, Wind Chill, 28F Degrees, Winds WSW 5mph..

Sunset closes out the day, behind the Blueberry Barren to the SW of us...The creek between the Meadows and the Forest is frozen...Nary a Beaver left nor any returned to manage the dams up and down stream. Will probably be at least another year, before they return..I miss them and the ecosystem they created and maintained.

The snow was whipped-about by the wind into drifts and covered most of the seed I spread out for the birds under the birdfeeder, has calmed and now rest about 4" deep.

Noted tracks made in the snow this morning...Someone was either having fun or seriously sniffing for a meal...Later discovered a BIG, FAT, Squirrel, digging under the birdfeeder (managed to train it to stay off the pole that remains greased with minderal oil)! This seems odd. I've not seen a squirrel out in the snow looking for food and there was only one Squirrel (we must have at least four and there is just one out in the cold snow looking for food)! It stayed long enough to have a meal (and dug up some seeds for the ground-feeding birds), then off it went...

The gloaming has arrived and is quickly fading into shadows of gray...and just a few little birds remain at the bird feeder...Juncos and Sparrows...

Ugh! Looks like we have a Winter Weather Advisory

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM ...
Severe Weather Alerts - Aurora, ME
Winter Weather Advisory
Winter Weather Advisory in effect from Sunday, 7:00 AM EST until Sunday, 5:00 PM EST. Source: U.S. National Weather Service
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO 5 PM EST
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total wet snow
accumulations of up to one inch and ice accumulations ranging
from a trace up to one tenth of an inch expected.

* WHERE...Central Piscataquis, Central Penobscot, Southern
Penobscot, Interior Hancock, Central Washington, Southern
Piscataquis and Northern Washington Counties.

* WHEN...From 7 AM to 5 PM EST Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The ice will result in difficult travel
conditions. Expect reduced visibilities at times.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow, sleet or
freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Expect slippery
roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving.
The latest road conditions for Maine can be obtained by going to
newengland511.org.

Will be interesting to see how this transpires...Not looking forward to Monday's commute!

Good night Friends...

Old 11-25-2018, 05:23 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
2° this morning. Cleaning up in case we get the dreaded rain, then heading out to cut 2 trees for Christmas.
Once again I had to rush to get outside stuff done. Insane year for outdoor projects from Spring to now. So tough. Looks like it might start as ice or snow before the changeover this morning.

Storm is off the Long Island coast at the moment.

What kind of Trees are you cutting? Did you get the cleaning done outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheasternBound View Post
Will be interesting to see how this transpires...Not looking forward to Monday's commute!
Monday there will be scattered rain or snow showers around then... Snowstorm Tuesday. According to the NAM model it starts overnight Monday so maybe by morning commute people will be better ready for it.

Might just be rain for the coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The snowfall this month has been impressive, but how about that cold......today felt close to zero, with the wind chill. The record high for the day is 60. \:
It will be in the 30s tomorrow; the first time in ten days to see at least 30! That is amazing for November.
Whoa! Wow! And normal is 30s for you guys.

Normal is 50s here before today and we haven't had 50s since beginning of month. Finally went above freezing yesterday after 2 days and I was in short sleeves. Good thing about long cold stretches is that you acclimate to it faster, bad thing is now normal will feel tropical. lol

Save this link. Temps so far this month for Caribou: That 39°F looks like a glitch but they did reach it.
Pink dots = Normal Max temps. Blue = Normal Lows.

So today normal High is 34. Normal low is 21. It's been below normal since the 10th.

0° lowest of season. 13° Max on the 22nd

Old 11-25-2018, 06:49 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Once again I had to rush to get outside stuff done. Insane year for outdoor projects from Spring to now. So tough. Looks like it might start as ice or snow before the changeover this morning.

Storm is off the Long Island coast at the moment.

What kind of Trees are you cutting? Did you get the cleaning done outside?

Started as rain here with no ice. Looks like it'll stay warm enough so it won't ice.
It came in as rain without the ice. Roadways are cold enough though so I'm sure travelling is slick.
I will find out soon enough as I am travelling 35 miles.
Whenever rain or sleet is in the forecast, I like to make sure to have snow removed from walkways because that stuff turns to instant ice.

Grabbed a toboggan and headed out back and cut a 9' balsam for my home and a 5' for a friend.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:35 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Going to be sloppy this afternoon. Real sloppy. Sloppier than the average slop. Road surface temp is 19 degrees.

When rain is coming, I drive the tractor on the driveway which leaves an irregular pattern with good traction when frozen. If you slip, you won't do a flip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine