Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:59 PM

26 posts, read 113,151 times

Advertisements

Blackflies, as others have said, are more a matter of "when" than where. And yes, May to early June seems to be the worst time for blackflies. But having lived in Downeast Maine when younger and now in Southern Maine, I would also agree that the blackflies are worse the farther north and east you go. But even Southern Maine has them. Mosquitoes are much more of a bother in most parts of Maine. Fortunately, DEET (Cutter, Off, etc.) really works great. When I was a kid all we had were coal-tar types of lotions and they didn't help much at all. Blackfly season was miserable back then. The old woodsmen had to be one tough breed. I don't know how they stood it. They were better men than I!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 06:17 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Ok now. This is the first thing I've read about Maine that scares me! What in the world is a black fly? It sounds torturous. Me and 2 of my kids are allergic to mosquitos and get huge red whelps everywhere they sting. Wonder if they will be an even worse problem for us. Here we have "Love Bugs" in June, and they float around in the air, in your ears, up your nose, etc. but they're just plain annoying. They don't bite. They just fly around stuck together - guess that's where the 'love' part comes in! I don't know about this black cutting fly thing!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:24 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
After this bitter cold spell it will be time for all bugs to reappear.(saw a blackfly the other day with a wool coat on) Seriously though,I have actually had people call from away asking if the dreaded blackflies were out! I am in the woods year round and the flies are just part of Maine. Horseflies seem to bother me more and the tick in certain years are out of control. During a late Spring hike last year I removed 24 ticks! It is all part of the Maine woods and if one covers bare skin (Ie. long pants and shirts) and uses a good repellent, it is a cakewalk. This is essential to enjoying the beauty of the late Spring/early Summer days of Maine. Other then that it is reccomended staying indoors. It took one summer for me to readjust to the insects and now I neither wear the longsleeved shirt (too hot) nor any bugspray(too many chemicals I can't read lol)! One other fact- it has been determined to rid the state of all ticks, the temperature would have to be -50 degrees for a high for two weeks!OK I'll live with them! Have fun and enjoy the scenery.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:45 AM

290 posts, read 637,356 times
In Damariscotta, they were there from about April-August...nasty buggers!

P.S. September & October aren't bad. Enjoy 2 months out of 12.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:05 PM

41 posts, read 170,839 times
From what I understand about black flies they breed near running water like brooks and streams and then there are the dreaded mosquitos, the Maine state bird, ha ha, they breed in areas like lakes and still water. The no-see-ums are more likely to be around the ocean, those pesky little suckers are small but pack a good bite. I am located near the ocean and experience the no-see-ums and the mosquitos because we have a little bog type area in our back yard. The Mosquitos usually come out at dusk and when the sun isn't shining. You just learn to deal with it and how to properly dress and what types of stuff to apply to the skin to get rid of them. Skin so soft works great to keep the pests away. When I get bit I always have a tupe of after bite on hand which helps to stop the itching, it works pretty good.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 13,723 times
We are planning on locating to the Sidney, Waterville area and have horses. We are concerned with not only bugs(on trail rides) but trails available for horses and perhaps state forests too. My horse in particular is suseptible to deer flies and ticks. I'm wondering if they are worse in Maine than CT as they have been really bad the last few years down here. We are looking for friendly down to earth people, more space, wildlife, and a less fast paced life. Of course we are also looking for less taxes and a place that is equestrian friendly. Here in Ct people move in thinking they want the country and then they try to change it back to the city way of life. It is really upsetting as equestrians and farmers are being sqeezed out. We also kayake when the bugs are bad and let the horses stay out of the woods during the worst bug times. Does anyone have any suggestions on a location that we could network with other horse owners and offers places to ride? and because we also like to kayak (recreational not white water etc) we would hope to be fairly close to areas to kayak. I would be looking for perhaps a hospital or area that had Dr.'s offices where I could find employement. Are we looking in the right area?

Old 03-11-2007, 05:10 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
We just moved up from Ct too. We were in Norwich.

Welcome

Old 03-12-2007, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 13,723 times
Smile Forest Beekeeper

Thanks for the welcome How do you like Maine after living in CT?? Did you move up for the more laid back lifestyle? That's what we are hoping to find.. We are also looking forward to it being less costly compared to CT. We are from Granby. It is pretty area but I'm afraid it is getting like Simsbury and Avon our neighbors. Very affluent with attitudes of I guess the only phrase that comes to mind is yuppy with overindulgence. I hate to categorize since all are not that way. It's just that it is changing and I don't think for the better. It is not a lost cause yet but the handwriting is on the wall. I'm hoping that with equity from the home here in CT and downsizing in Maine with the real estate being more reasonable we can be able to work less stressful jobs if our bills are diminished. Living with CT costs we need to have jobs with stress(that's what you will be paid decently for unfortunately). I do realize that there is stress everywhere but hopefully with people being more friendly(not just polite) and Maine being a little less progressive it will be just different enough to allow personal growth in the right direction. I'm also looking for more space. I think that alone is healthy for people.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:13 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Ct to Maine-

"How do you like Maine after living in CT??"

We do like it.

"... Did you move up for the more laid back lifestyle?"

Yes. and Ct is too expensive.

We still own an apartment building in Ct, so we could live there. It supports itself, but the crime is crazy too. and the hustle.

"We are also looking forward to it being less costly compared to CT."

It really is.

"Very affluent with attitudes of I guess the only phrase that comes to mind is yuppy with overindulgence. I hate to categorize since all are not that way."

I understand, but it takes huge chunks of money to maintain that, and full dedication to corporate careers and lots of over-time to afford it all.

So many $4million homes, ouch.

"I'm hoping that with equity from the home here in CT and downsizing in Maine with the real estate being more reasonable we can be able to work less stressful jobs if our bills are diminished."

Yes, that sounds about right.

I am career military, bounced around the world for years. Often coming back to Groton for a couple years at a time.

We cashed out the equity in our property there, and used it to purchase land here and to build our new home.

"Living with CT costs we need to have jobs with stress(that's what you will be paid decently for unfortunately). I do realize that there is stress everywhere but hopefully with people being more friendly(not just polite) and Maine being a little less progressive it will be just different enough to allow personal growth in the right direction. I'm also looking for more space. I think that alone is healthy for people."

You have GOT to attend the hippy fair!

It is great!

Unity Maine, has a college and hosts the Organic Farmers fair each year in the fall.

www.MOFGA.org

We have met some wonderful people. One family who farms; breed draft horses, plow fields with horse teams and oxen teams, raise grains for market, and actually earn enough to support a large family.

We are already raising goats, chickens, and bees. And we have planted Ginseng and mushrooms. We have already been selling eggs and fiddleheads. We plan to operate a fish hatchery soon.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:22 PM

41 posts, read 170,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
What if I brought a fan outside with me? LOL
Interesting, I'm also looking at a house that has a running little waterfall behind it...so that would be a black fly breeding ground? Oh good to know! In MA our mosquitoes now carry disease (west nile, triple E) does ME have this problem yet? We've had a few deaths.

Thanks!
The fan idea works great I do it myself, the force of the air keeps the little buggers away because they aren't strong enough to fight the wind of the fan. I haven't heard of any cases from misquitos like west nile yet but I am not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine