Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:26 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times

Advertisements

Are the black flies those big swarms of gnatty looking things? If so we have encountered them and they are not that bad. I am allergic to bug repellents (even skin so soft) and I only got a few bites....we usually come to Boothbay in mid June...so I think those are black flies...but if not then I'm scared of black flies too...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 02:34 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Mosquitos were out in Turner today!
yup, they were out in Readfield yesterday too...gobs of the suckers!

Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
Got my first blackfly bite day before yesterday sitting on my deck. Itches like crazy even now. Still, I'm enjoyng this while I can. When the salt marsh mosquitoes get busy in another month, the deck becomes intolerable at dusk.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:06 AM

341 posts, read 1,486,955 times
My step-twins lived in Bangor and would come to visit us in June every summer thru July. They'd show up pale and covered in blackfly bites! After a week in the AZ sun they were tan and healed up. Poor kids! Ouch!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:09 PM

26 posts, read 113,137 times
Talking DEET for Maine blackflies

Buy insect repellent laced with plenty of DEET. Use it and you won't have much trouble from the flies. May starts tomorrow and I've a bug spray by every exit from my house. Without it, there's almost no point in going outside.

There's no two ways about it, the blackflies in May are terrible, and after that the mosquitoes take over. But the bug sprays really do work as long as they have a good slug of DEET. I've tried the "natural" stuff...doesn't work for me. As DuPont used to say, "Better Living Through Chemistry..."

Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 PM

10 posts, read 30,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I so agree with rabbitlover! My husband gets bit more than I do. There have been times when you can see them around his head, and none are around me. We'll definately try the eucalyptus oil! Wonder if that would work for mosquitos too?
The same happened with my wife. We were in northern Maine, right at the Canadian border, on our way to Halifax for the Military Tattoo and the black flies were really going at it. For some reason they zeroed in on my wife and used her as their aircraft carrier, circling then landing, then biting. It was really bad and she had to take benydril (spelling?) to fight the reaction. Mean lil buggers! A screened in porch is NOT a luxury itemwhen it's black fly season, it's a true necessity.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:49 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnda View Post
The same happened with my wife. We were in northern Maine, right at the Canadian border, on our way to Halifax for the Military Tattoo and the black flies were really going at it. For some reason they zeroed in on my wife and used her as their aircraft carrier, circling then landing, then biting. It was really bad and she had to take benydril (spelling?) to fight the reaction. Mean lil buggers! A screened in porch is NOT a luxury itemwhen it's black fly season, it's a true necessity.
Oh that would explain why almost all the houses I've looked at had screened in porches and highlighted it as such an amenity feature. Good to know.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:53 AM

26 posts, read 113,137 times
Default Screened porches and insects

It is very nice in Maine to have a screened porch, yes.

I live in extreme southwestern Maine but grew up in Downeast Maine. From an insect point of view, there are differences, I think. Down here in southern York County, the blackflies are not as fierce, nor do they usually last past the end of May or early June at the latest. And so far this year for whatever reason, they are hardly noticeable. Growing up as a kid in Hancock County, they were horrible.

Mosquitoes are a more widespread and longer-lasting problem throughout the season in Maine. I agree with the techniques of forest beekeeper- preventively spray all standing water (there are bacillus thiurigensis (BT) organic insecticides for the environmentally concerned.)

For people who are sensitive to DEET, try just applying it to clothing. Cutter makes a product that contains a new repellent containing picaridin that has been in use in Europe for some time, but has only been in the US for a couple of years. It has no greasy feel like DEET and works well, although maybe not quite as powerful as DEET. I put DEET on clothing and use the picaridin on skin and hair. With that combination, I can comfortably sit outside at night, walk through the wood, and not worry at all.

Down here in southern Maine, the real danger is from deer ticks. They carry Lyme disease and I know people who have been very sick from it. It can, in fact, kill you. My wife has had tick bites twice for which we kept the tick and had it tested- both times positive for Lyme, so she had to take antibiotics for ten days to prevent trouble. Fortunately, DEET repels ticks, too. My wife uses DEET a lot more now! Put in on socks and shoes, and check yourself over thoroughly after walking in wooded areas. I don't know how far north in Maine the Lyme-carrying deer ticks have moved yet. York County is the hardest hit.

But, I can walk through the woods in Maine and not worry about poisonous snakes. And I can walk through any city in Maine and not worry about poisonous people!

Old 05-06-2007, 11:15 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
I'm surprised to hear of mosquito problems in Maine. Here is Texas, it's so humid and hot 9 months out of the year that they're almost always a problem. I just figured that the long periods of cold there killed them out.

Still don't know about those black flies. Sound pretty ominous to me!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:21 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I'm surprised to hear of mosquito problems in Maine. Here is Texas, it's so humid and hot 9 months out of the year that they're almost always a problem. I just figured that the long periods of cold there killed them out.

Still don't know about those black flies. Sound pretty ominous to me!
mosquitos are horrible in most parts of Maine during most of the summer, especially after dusk (which is a shame, since that summer the season people look forward to the most). In many places, you cannot be outside once the sun starts going down or you'll be eaten alive - we literally could not use our lovely big deck for dinner outside until late August. When the dogs go out at night for their last potty break, mosquitos will hitch a ride back in with them, too!
Irishmom - yes, black flies are seen swarming, but if they are biting they are just gnats, not the notorious black flies. If you are in Boothbay in mid to late June, you are probably not seeing the "real" black flies of Maine as they are usually gone from that area by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine