Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:45 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times

Advertisements

When I first moved into central NH from RI; quite different growing conditions; I found my best information about local conditions and gardening tips came from stopping and talking to gardeners whose gardens I admired.

I have not met a gardener who doesn't like to show and talk about their garden! Sometimes I went home with beans or tomatoes and always with more knowledge. It still took a while to develop practice wisdom of my own.

Boonskyler, ask local gardeners; most will be happy to help. (There was some kind of "weed" growing in my garden that local Cambodian immigrants to Laconia, liked to eat, I made sure they knew they could have as much as they wanted of that one, plus I usually had other produce to share
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,768 times
Quote:
I found my best information about local conditions and gardening tips came from stopping and talking to gardeners whose gardens I admired.
thanks elston, I total beleive in this practice.

When I live in Miami I grew coconuts, mango,jack fruit, longan, lychee, banana bamboo they did so well. When try to grew Mulberry which i order from catalog, it grow very well 2-3 years gone by i have huge trees but no fruit, talk to my kayak buddy his wife is in horticulture, she brought me a tree and said i should ask people who grow them succesfull in our area before buy any tree, some time it will take 3- 5 years before find out the mistake, the tree she gave me produce a lot of berrys in the first year and there after.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 PM

My Dad used to eat a common "weed" that grew in New England gardens. In gentile circles it is called "puslane" or in the vernacular "Pusley" it is a very handsome succulent looking plant with a hint of a peppery taste when added to a salad. Dad said you could steam it..and he insisted it was good for you....probably was...I didnt ever eat enough to get any benefit. lol

Old 01-02-2008, 12:40 PM

455 posts, read 1,228,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Grand Rental Station in Presque Isle.

Another place to ask would be right after you get to town ask down to Portous Service station just down the street from the house you are looking at. They might know somebody right in town that has one you can bum for a beer and bag if veggies come fall.
I am being to think I should just address all my questions to you, Scott.

Theservice station and "trading or bartering" is really something we would like to get in to. Thanks again.......I can know tell Bert to stop looking at them on line. He thought we would have to buy one and that wouldn't be for a year. So, I am glad that I can put in a big garden right away when we finally arrive. We are still planning it for June 1st but I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will be there sooner.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:42 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elston View Post
This is probably heresy, but I want to ask anyway. Some years ago I heard that fiddleheads were carcinogenic and should be avoided. I can tell that people on this forum don't put stock in that warning. What do you know that I don't? Just wondering--not trying to slam a regional favorite!
To me fiddleheads are just greens. Very much like spinach. I could take it or leave it.

However I make $4/pound at market from the fiddleheads that I pick.

I have never heard anything about them being bad for you.

I have heard many folks telling stories of how good they are though.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:45 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
When I was in Japan I went foraging with one of my DP's aunts way up in the mountains. The delicacy were were seeking was a fern like frond unrolling or unfurling on the tips of a wild plant. Other than the tips which had a violin like shape...the plant did not obviously appear to be a fern. (We also found out that it was protected in the national park in which we were foraging.. auntie acted as if the ranger were a "revenuer" smashing her still; and protested that her family had been foraging there for generations. We got to keep what we had but no more....they were delicious for supper and did have an asparagas taste and texture. She is also always on the hunt for "Taki Noko" (bamboo shoots) which are worth a mention anyday for great food found growing wild.
That sounds very much like our fiddleheads.

Around here we have two distinct ferns that look kind of alike. One is bitter and grows on dry ground. The other is mild and tastes like spinach, it grows where your feet are wet.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:11 PM

What ever we were picking in Japan was growing almost waist high and I am pretty sure the ground was dry. I am suspicious that it was related to your fiddle heads however.
They had no bitterness about them when cooked. I guess they are also cultivated because I did have them again in a restaurant over there.

It was a very beautiful mountain where we picked them with many many outcroppings of wind-worn lime stone. there were so many limestone grey/white boulders that the mountain side looked like it was covered with enumerable flocks of sheep. It was one of the times I wished I was a watercolor painter. It was lovely beyond what I can describe. We also saw a gorgeous Japanese **** pheasant that day...quite a spectacle.

Last edited by elston; 01-02-2008 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: can you believe that the word for a male fowl is considered obscene and needs to be censored! like the japanese mshroom was

Old 01-02-2008, 06:17 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Last edited by elston : Today at 04:12 PM. Reason: can you believe that the word for a male fowl is considered obscene and needs to be censored! like the japanese mshroom was

lol Elston

Old 01-02-2008, 07:44 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
lol...

Old 01-02-2008, 07:53 PM

612 posts, read 1,216,257 times
lol...censorship.

Last edited by Eastport4me; 01-02-2008 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: add a word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine