Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:23 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
If someone is shooting in a gravel pit and a round goes over the bank and hits someone??? You gotta be kidding me! Number one if that happens you SHOULD be sued, then have your weapons taken from you forever......
There are soooo many remote pits around and most have really high banks....no excuse....
you would be amazed at what a live bullet can do when it impacts a rock. Even if the rock is embedded in the pit wall, the round can ricochet in very strange directions with significant velocity.

There was an accident a few years back where a round penetrated a heavy backstop and travelled out of a range, finding it's way between two layers of railroad ties. Seemed impossible, but the trajectory of the round proved it's origin.

Never say impossible to a bullet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
you would be amazed at what a live bullet can do when it impacts a rock. Even if the rock is embedded in the pit wall, the round can ricochet in very strange directions with significant velocity.

There was an accident a few years back where a round penetrated a heavy backstop and travelled out of a range, finding it's way between two layers of railroad ties. Seemed impossible, but the trajectory of the round proved it's origin.

Never say impossible to a bullet.
Bullet construction can't be ignored.

22 rimfir and shotgun slugs retain their energy and can travel along bone, etc. to unimaginable places.

222 sx not so much

then you leave the gravel pit and tromp thru the woods and shoot without a back stop. Hmmm

sounds like personal responsibilty looms very large in the equation.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:39 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
Ask about shooting on someone else's land and if they say no, don't take it personal. I didn't hunt my 50 acres last year (hunted elsewhere), but I don't post it. Those that ask I just say don't shoot anywhere near the house, be sure of your background.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:45 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Bullet construction can't be ignored.

22 rimfir and shotgun slugs retain their energy and can travel along bone, etc. to unimaginable places.

222 sx not so much
While not ignoring it, bullet construction cannot eliminate all risk even if it can reduce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
then you leave the gravel pit and tromp thru the woods and shoot without a back stop. Hmmm

sounds like personal responsibilty looms very large in the equation.
Personal responsibility is part of every aspect of your life, not just shooting. I have no idea how tromping through woods or shooting without a backstop enters this conversation. My scenarios were the subject of the thread, gravel pits, and an example of how a bullet left a closed, professionally operated shooting range.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:22 AM

348 posts, read 415,719 times
Some good advice in this thread.
A couple questions / points:
1) Is there anything in Maine or the general US against making your own bullets, out of curiosity? I knew a guy in California who paid me by the pound for lead wheel weights I collected from the road while I was walking around / waiting for the bus. He used to melt them down and make his own bullets.
2) I grew up on a 100 acre farm in rural Missouri and used to play in the woods by myself a lot. My folks forbade hunting in our woods for that reason. Even so, we'd sometimes discover unauthorized hunters in our woods when a stray bullet would hit the side of the house or ricochet off the side of our barn. We always counted ourselves very lucky that it was the building that it hit rather than us or the livestock or pets. Please be responsible and consider that, no matter how good a shot you fancy yourself, it's always a very good idea to ask the owner of the property for permission and consider who or what may be nearby when shooting.

-T.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:11 AM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
Some good advice in this thread.
1) Is there anything in Maine or the general US against making your own bullets, out of curiosity? I knew a guy in California who paid me by the pound for lead wheel weights I collected from the road while I was walking around / waiting for the bus. He used to melt them down and make his own bullets.
Only store-front business in my town is a gunsmith. Folks gather there once/week for free coffee, and to discuss hunting, fishing, trapping.

Re-loading is very popular around here, which may include casting bullets. I used to cast bullets from wheel-weights a lot, a long time ago, but I have not done that for many years now.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Tenebrae asks:
"Some good advice in this thread.
1) Is there anything in Maine or the general US against making your own bullets, out of curiosity? "

None whatsoever. We have been making our own bullets here for 400 years. Millions of people reload their own used cases and get fine accuracy with hand loads. My melting pot is an old steel cap from an oxygen bottle. A Coleman stove is just fine for melting your alloy. How do you know when you have the right temperature? Take a wooden kitchen match and stick it into the molten metal for one second. If it comes out burned dark brown it is too hot. When it is golden brown it is just right.

Talk with somebody who knows. Know what powder you are using. Get a good handloading manual and a good powder measuring scale. Follow the recipe, just like making bread and you'll have the desired result. Every deer I have ever shot was taken with handloaded ammo. Both moose too and uncounted woodchucks at ranges up to 400 yards. Back when we had dairy farms, farmers were very happy to have you hunt woodchucks on their land. A dairy cow with a broken leg is very costly to a farmer.

I remember when farmers could buy cyanide bombs to put down woodchuck holes. That was back when everybody was responsible and had common sense. We bought dynamite for blowing stumps at the same hardware store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine