Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:40 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
When did hunters start baiting???
About the time that crab apples started growing in Maine.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
About the time that crab apples started growing in Maine.
I know the Indians baited.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:03 PM

428 posts, read 553,717 times
I'm voting no.

We need hunting to control the population. Baiting ensures a high enough success rate for hunting to be effective at controlling the population. Baiting is more humane than so called "traditional methods" as it increases the likelihood of a clean kill and decreases likelihood of shooting a sow with cubs. Rich out of staters are more than welcome to spend their money here.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
There are more misinformation and lies in this than I have energy to reply. I shot my bear over bait this year. I'm happy to answer questions.

It's nothing like dog fighting. It isn't like shooting fish in a barrel. I am eating the meat. Tradition was hunting at fruit and nut trees, the dump and nuisance bears in the yard. We don't hunt deer (or moose) over bait because we don't have a deer population that's too large. In states where there are too many deer, which cause millions of dollars of damage each year, they do bait so they can better control the population. Hunting isn't just about tagging. It's conservation. It's herd/population management.

Tonight's supper, tomorrow's blog. My trophy bear weighed 148.5 pounds. Not what you'd expect of a trophy, eh?

Last edited by Maine Writer; 10-21-2014 at 06:45 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 06:30 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Vote YES....for traditional hunting.

The No vote benefits sporting (yeah, they need to change that name) camps who cater to rich out of staters who come here to 'hunt.' They have to have a bear baited for months with doughnuts because they are too incompetent to actually 'hunt.' No skill....just hand them a bear. It's disgusting. The people of Maine should be ashamed that this is allowed and advertised like it's a good thing. It's not. It's cruel and inhumane. If we want to get rid of real 'nuisances,' maybe these out of state hunters should bait drunk drivers and domestic abusers. THAT would benefit everyone.
No, a local hunting for meat is going to bait to have a decent chance of shooting one, and not taking a cub or sow with cub in the process.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:32 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Why are you comparing bears to humans? You can reason with a human being. Don't get mad at the bear for doing what it's suppose to do in nature. No one told those students gets to go hiking in that preserved wildlife area. That's the risk you take when you do that. As a human being you should be able to make smart judgement calls. It would be like going into the ocean and being surprise that a shark attacks you. Don't blame the shark for the attack. Blame the stupid humans for putting themselves in that position!
The bears up here run from people because there's significant hunting pressure on them. The bears in NJ have been losing their fear of humans and that's when they become dangerous. It's not natural for a black bear to view us as prey, we were always the top predator that ate them.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:01 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Vote YES....for traditional hunting.

The No vote benefits sporting (yeah, they need to change that name) camps who cater to rich out of staters who come here to 'hunt.' They have to have a bear baited for months with doughnuts because they are too incompetent to actually 'hunt.' No skill....just hand them a bear. It's disgusting. The people of Maine should be ashamed that this is allowed and advertised like it's a good thing. It's not. It's cruel and inhumane. If we want to get rid of real 'nuisances,' maybe these out of state hunters should bait drunk drivers and domestic abusers. THAT would benefit everyone.
I was in Maine last week and kept seeing those commercials about baiting the bears with donuts. Thought it was wild. The whole thing was pretty graphic - the dogs attacking it, the snapping of the trap - put me on the side of the bear. To me they seemed like they were asking for a fair hunt.

I live in the country and we have wild hogs and rattlesnakes out here - no bears.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:05 PM

147 posts, read 215,425 times
My co worker got her bear this year and her boyfriend did as well. They make lots of meals with it and also hunt turkey, deer and moose. They do not ever buy meat at the grocery store and have a huge garden. They save a ton of money doing that and they baited the bears and watched with game cameras so they could see the size of the bear. they do not want to get a mother or a cub so the bait allows them to watch via camera and if the bear is too small or a momma bear they do not hunt at that bait pile. Simple right? The bear is most certainly not wasted and saves them money on groceries. I see no problem with that at all.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:07 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I'm new to Maine, and although I'm registered to vote (one of the first things I did), I don't think I know enough about the baiting ban to vote on it. I've read what I can in the Kennebec Journal and online sources, and there's a lot of conflicting information ... or maybe that should read conflicting opinions.

I read somewhere - I believe it was KJ - that with the bear baiting that's been going on, the bear population has increased. So I went to the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife to do some research. I ended up more confused than before.

First it says:

Okay - that makes sense. But then it says:

This makes me wonder .... if the "most effective methods" of controlling the bear population have been in place at least since 2000, and the bear population grew anyway, is there some truth to the belief that using bait has helped grow the bear population more than the hunting with bait has controlled that population?

On the other hand, if all the various hunting/trapping/baiting techniques that have been used by hunters for years aren't really controlling the bear population, why would anyone want to take three of those methods away? Yeah, there's some question about how truly effective they are in controlling a population that grew by 7,000 in a 10-year span. But if those methods hadn't been available, would the bear population have grown by even more?

No, I don't feel like I know enough about this to vote on it. I'll leave this one blank, and that's something I hate to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What is their real argument FOR the ban?
The real arguement is to ban hunting plain and simple. If baiting was so succesful why does the population continue to grow?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:12 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
There are more misinformation and lies in this than I have energy to reply. I shot my bear over bait this year. I'm happy to answer questions.

It's nothing like dog fighting. It isn't like shooting fish in a barrel. I am eating the meat. Tradition was hunting at fruit and nut trees, the dump and nuisance bears in the yard. We don't hunt deer (or moose) over bait because we don't have a deer population that's too large. In states where there are too many deer, which cause millions of dollars of damage each year, they do bait so they can better control the population. Hunting isn't just about tagging. It's conservation. It's herd/population management.

Tonight's supper, tomorrow's blog. My trophy bear weighed 148.5 pounds. Not what you'd expect of a trophy, eh?
You actually eat bear steak? My grandmother used to make stew from bear and it was delicious.

Here's how I feel about this issue. Unless you are a vegetarian Christian Scientist that doesn't use leather or cosmetics, I don't want to hear from you. Well, I'll take that back. I'll still listen to you if you've worked in a slaughterhouse for a year. At least if you've worked in a slaughterhouse you know that you'd rather be a bear than go to a slaughterhouse, so you have some perspective.

The problem is that we have people that think meat grows on trees. Either that or they are hypocrites, intentionally or unintentionally.

I've never shot a bear, and never will, but I'm voting no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine