Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:03 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times

Advertisements

"What did they say about that poor fellow in the "Bert and I" recordings...seems he was born in New Hampshire and came here when he was one month old...he was "from away"! "

It goes something like this:

My neighbor is sensitive about not being a native. He never arrived in Maine until he was six months old. I know it and he knows I know. It gets to him. One day he came over and said, "Well I have four sons and they were all born here. You'd call them natives wouldn't ya?

I replied, Well, if my cat had kittens in the oven I wouldn't call them biscuits."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
This is not exclusive to Maine, people down south don't like carpet baggers, and a lot of other people don't like outsiders coming in and making changes to turn places into what they just left.

When I first came to Ohio the town I was in was bearable despite the culture shock and not fitting in, but in the last 15 years has been ruined by sprawl and suburbanites that I can't get back to Eastport fast enough, I am going to check into clam digging on my next trip back, I used to pick wrinkles with my great uncle as a kid so that is an option too.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:34 PM

587 posts, read 915,614 times
I only vote for people born in the state. If none of the candidates are from here, my cat gets my vote.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:31 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
I can see both sides. I have known great people who were not born in Maine but act like they were.

On the other hand, people from out of state have been coming in here with money and power trying to change the state, for several decades. And it also seems that many of our "top positions" get filled by people from away. For example: many University of Maine chancellors, judges, state agency heads, etc. It's a "closed loop": the people doing the hiring/selecting are often also from away. And yes, I am a bit tired of politicians who moved here from away: Libby Mitchell, Emily Cain, Angus King, Chellie Pingree, etc.etc. Can't we raise up our own crop of liberals without importing them from away??

Old 10-24-2014, 08:55 PM

468 posts, read 758,461 times
I once heard the story of a young girl, born to her family in New Hampshire in a town on the Connecticut River. When she was six months old she moved with her family across the river to another small town, but in Vermont, where she eventually married and lived the rest of her 86 years. Said the minister at her funeral, "We loved her as we love our own, even though she wasn't one of us."

Last edited by beltrams; 10-24-2014 at 09:03 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 11:20 PM

506 posts, read 683,758 times
Isn't LePage from Canada?.......or did he just go there to avoid the draft?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:33 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
she is a liberal fruit-loop

she - then why cant a music major be elected??
My daughter graduated magna *** laude from a good university in performance music against my better judgment? She has a big time job that who could imagined? She is very qualified for public office if she were so inclined. We all use these tired stereotypes, but to dismiss someone from higher education because of a preconceived notion is quite short sighted. Smart people bloom were they are planted. Most of us are immigrants. No dog in this fight tho....

Last edited by wordsmith680; 10-24-2014 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: what do you mean thats a bad thing? *** laude

Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
If you blame a handful of people for the reputation of the entire state you are missing the real problem.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
Isn't LePage from Canada?.......or did he just go there to avoid the draft?
No. He's from Maine.
And he didn't go to Canada to avoid the draft.
Nice try, though.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:08 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Paul has an MBA and is bilingual. He did work in Canada for a while as I did. He has brought several companies back from the brink of closing and has created many jobs in Maine.

Around 20 years ago I was having dinner with some of my customers in Newfoundland. A newly elected minister to Parliament came to our table and I was introduced as an American businessman.

The minister said, "Well, it's always good to do business with the US. Tell me, What do you think of our recent election?"

I paused. How could I answer this man truthfully? He was a Liberal.

I said, "In my experience, Canadians and Americans both are good, honest and hard working people. They don't so much need to be governed as they need to be served." My guest looked stunned. The minister stepped back and said, "That's a great thought. I'm going to use that in my next speech."

My guest breathed a sigh of relief. I did too. Hey, it was the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine