Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:52 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I tried Slopes and was highly disappointed. It wasn't really busy but service was very slow, an hour after ordering we still hadn't got anything and when we finally managed to get someone to find out what was going on we were told that they had run out of most of what we ordered. I'd like to see Gordon Ramsey straighten them out. Maybe it was just an "off" night.

There are some more good ones, but I've done so much driving and eating over the last year that I can't remember the names or just exactly where they are.
I've been to Slopes a couple of times this years and they have always been right on the ball with service. There was one over in the dining hall, that was a bit slow, but we waited no where near as long as you had to. I usually don't go there when we go out just because the Irish Setter Pub is so much nicer and just a warmer atmosphere.

I know what you mean about finding these great places and not remembering their names or exact locations. I spent a couple of years working all over the state and have worked a week at a time just about any area you can name. There are so many nice places to eat but I cannot for the life of me remember where they all are. I know them when I see them, but it is a shot in the dark for exact locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 06:05 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
I know! We stopped at a little convenience store, of all places, on the road to Acadia and had a fresh fish sandwich that was to die for! The lady said her husband just brought the batch in from his catch that morning. Now how true that was - I can't say - may have been a fish tale for the obviously lost tourists! (ok couldn't resist that one!) But DAMN it was good!! At a convenience store - that was the most shocking part. And would I remember the name or where exactly it was on that long road? Nope! We were lost, remember?!

Come to think of it, we were VERY lost. We were supposed to be between Bangor and Belfast - ended up back in Acadia area - for the second time that day! But we did enjoy the scenic route!!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Come to think of it, we were VERY lost. We were supposed to be between Bangor and Belfast - ended up back in Acadia area - for the second time that day! But we did enjoy the scenic route!!

Happens to the best of us.
I did a job in Rangeley, then had to drop off a couple of replacement items the following day in Jackman. I ended up in some geezly place called Eustis (or something like that.) The only way I know the name was because I ended up stopping at somebodys house to ask just where the living daylights I was, and how do I get to where I want to be. They were kind enough to draw me a map through a bunch of woods roads and I think frigging goat trails to get over close to Jackman. Somewhere in my wanderings that day I ate at a gas station that looked like it stepped right out of a 30's postcard inside. They had a few tables and no menu, just a chalkboard nailed to the wall with the days lunch offerings written on lined notebook paper and taped to it. (no kidding, giant azzed nails drove in and clinched over the sides holding it in place). I don't know if it was because my stomach thought my throat had been cut and I was 3/4 starved to death or because it was really that good, but they had the BEST meatloaf and mashed potatoes I have ever had in a restaurant.

There is no way I would EVER find that place again. I drove through places I had never even knew we had places named. Dallas, Sandy River Plantation, Salem, Bigalow, and numerous others. Some had a sign by the road and NOTHING else that I could see. Not even a house that was by the road I was on. I thought I was beginning to live a Stephen King novel for a minute. Somewhere along the 350 miles I drove that day I found that place.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:49 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Bwaaahaaahaaahaaaa....:rubbing hands together: the little-known curse of Bar Harbor! You can check out but you can never leave

(It's really obvious when I've been up too many hours in a row, isn't it?)

Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 PM

44 posts, read 121,915 times
Mmmm...lobster roll at The Fisherman's Co-op in Pemaquid Harbor

Old 01-12-2008, 09:54 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Barone View Post
Mmmm...lobster roll at The Fisherman's Co-op in Pemaquid Harbor
hi debra, the name rings a bell, you have twins??

Old 01-14-2008, 01:33 PM

44 posts, read 121,915 times
heh heh heh!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Here in Vista CA at a strip mall I saw a new Pizza place called "Wicked Good" I figure they must be from Maine. I am not sure that is a good recommendation for their pizza. Though come to think of it, I had hand thrown pizza in Bar Harbor that was very very good, so I won't knock Maine Pizza.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:39 PM

254 posts, read 1,183,420 times
elston, you're talking about that place in Shadowridge, aren't you? They actually aren't from Maine- they are Carlsbad locals. I thought the same thing when they opened (I used to live in Oceanside). I heard that they chose the name to lure transplanted New Englanders like myself. It's not bad, but I don't feel like they deserve to call it "wicked good".

Old 01-14-2008, 09:58 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Small world! Yes I did mean the one on Shadowridge. That is my neighborhood

I am glad I didnt go in and make a big deal of their name. I was going to wear my T-shirt from the "Wicked Good Store" in Lovell, Maine. Thanks for setting the record straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine