Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 08:05 AM

37,215 posts, read 60,933,271 times

Advertisements

What is a reliable method to find snow closures?

I scan the FM band on my radio, I keep finding talk-shows or stations playing music.

My TV normally gets ABC/WVII channel 7 and PBS channel 12; but today we are receiving nothing.

Searching the WWW to find a local listing of schools and /or business closures is frustrating me.

Is there a WWW link to such a list?

I got our snow blower to run about 20 feet then it died. Arrgh!

I had an appointment to get my DW's car inspected this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 08:08 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,916,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I got our snow blower to run about 20 feet then it died. Arrgh!

I had an appointment to get my DW's car inspected this morning.

LOL. I feel your pain. After the first storm, my plow truck was still in the shop having a new engine inserted. I had to plow the mile of road and driveways of my neighbor and myself using my snowblower.

After the second storm, I tried to start it and the clutch cable broke, so there the snowblower sits covered with snow.

I think you can assume everything is closed today. We got a foot last night!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:10 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,878,730 times
WABI has a good list of cancellations on their site. Of course it's not as thrilling as waiting with anticipation to see your very own school listed as closed as they scroll through them all on the television, but for the adults, it works pretty well.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,704,557 times
I feel your frustration with the snowblower. Mine died 2nd snowfall this year and frankly I'm done with the POS. It is only 5 years old, but the biggest junker I have ever used. I am having the owner of the local store swing by and hit my driveway with his plow whenever he is doing the store, nice to be able to call in a favor once in a while you know.

As for site to find closings, I haven't found a comprehensive list yet either, but have found these:
Stormclosings - MaineToday.com
WLBZ2.com - Bangor, Maine - STORM CENTER Cancellations & Delays

Old 01-02-2008, 08:53 AM

86 posts, read 482,612 times
I went to WCSH6.com They have a current list in my area and I'm sure in yours as well. The best thing they offer is a sign up list to get certain closings emailed to your computer and/or cell phone. I entered my son's school district and emergencies. (like bad accidents, child abductions etc etc.) WCSH6 sends this info directly to my cell phone in a text message. Very handy and you choose what they send. Check it out. It sure beats waiting for the alphabetical order to come around on the TV or Radio.
Sounds aweful to put the child abductions in there, but the more eyes out there looking the sooner can make the difference!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:45 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,036,667 times
StormWatch | WABI TV5 (http://www.wabi.tv/content/4051/StormWatch/ - broken link)

Deer Isle it's the one I like as well! Forest, you can also sign up for email notification through this site....

Old 01-02-2008, 10:33 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,180,733 times
when i was a kid liveing in the county we didnt have a tv.
mom would send us out to the end of the drive and told us to waite for the buss.if it didnt show up then there was no school. them was the good oll days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine