Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,199 times

Advertisements

Just checked City-Data stats for Biddeford as my husband and I were on-line recently and looked at homes for sale in Biddeford. We were shocked to see that crime has really spiked much higher than the national average in nearly all areas in recent years (murders, rapes, burglaries, theft, etc.). Can someone please tell me why this is so? Who's responsible for the increase in crime? Is it due to illegal aliens moving into the area? We live in So. CA, and over the years nearly all cities and towns have been adversely affected because of illegal immigration. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 05:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
"Can someone please tell me why this is so?"

Maine is the safest state. Search long enough and you can find a community that is above the national average. This does not mean there has been an increase.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:35 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Biddeford has long had a reputation for being a bit sketchy. The oceanfront parts of town are quite different from the rest of town.
Biddeford is close enough to Boston etc. to attract some of that crime.
Drugs and alcohol, the usual stuff....mixed in with some more hardcore stuff.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:05 AM

506 posts, read 683,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina Laney View Post
Just checked City-Data stats for Biddeford as my husband and I were on-line recently and looked at homes for sale in Biddeford. We were shocked to see that crime has really spiked much higher than the national average in nearly all areas in recent years (murders, rapes, burglaries, theft, etc.). Can someone please tell me why this is so? Who's responsible for the increase in crime? Is it due to illegal aliens moving into the area? We live in So. CA, and over the years nearly all cities and towns have been adversely affected because of illegal immigration. Sad.
No, it's not due to "illegal aliens"........it's more about poverty, drugs, and white trash.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:16 PM

15 posts, read 24,897 times
Look at the downtown, and tell me Biddeford isn't "sketchy"!

Old 11-14-2014, 01:45 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
When we first moved to Maine, I happened to mention to our then landlord that we were so glad to be in Maine to be able to live in a neighborhood that isn't filled with crime, drugs, and gangs. He laughed and said, "Yeah, in Maine you have to go to Biddeford for that."

Old 11-14-2014, 01:49 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
In another thread, I stated that I used to work a job that gave me information as to where many of the criminals were coming from. Biddeford was indeed one of those places. There were three other places along with Biddeford that were the main places those types lived. (Yes, of course, you had some from other areas as well, but the big chunk of them came from four specific areas.)

I, personally, will not ever live there knowing what I now know.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:35 PM

66 posts, read 101,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah_For_Life View Post
Look at the downtown, and tell me Biddeford isn't "sketchy"!
Biddeford has other areas, you know.....not every square inch of it is "sketchy". Heck, not even the entire downtown is bad! The corner of Main and Rt.1 and as you climb the hill towards Five Points is a very obvious and visible one. The neighborhoods just off that on either side, and then over around Bacon St. also. You see much of the worst if you are passing through town. There are more nice areas than bad, but because the bad is so prominent, that fuels the reputation.

Another problem is just proximity. The bad seeds spread outward. There is a very nice middle-class subdivision heading out of town on North St. that was getting burglerized repeatedly by heroin junkies. Some are criminals coming from out of state, but much like Lewiston, there are generations of white trash scumbags who have scourged that town to this day. It's a cancerous environment. I appreciate the efforts to educate and revitalize that area, because I feel Biddeford is overall a nice town with many positives. I'd love to see a slum clearing and rebuilding of those previously mentioned areas.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:36 PM

66 posts, read 101,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
In another thread, I stated that I used to work a job that gave me information as to where many of the criminals were coming from. Biddeford was indeed one of those places. There were three other places along with Biddeford that were the main places those types lived. (Yes, of course, you had some from other areas as well, but the big chunk of them came from four specific areas.)

I, personally, will not ever live there knowing what I now know.
I'm guessing Biddeford, Sanford, Lewiston, Bangor.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:41 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobot View Post
I'm guessing Biddeford, Sanford, Lewiston, Bangor.
You got two of them right, and one of them was a close 5th place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine