Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I would really talk to a furnace repair tech [NOT A SALESMAN]!

Just because a furnace is 10-years old does not make it in-efficient.

He might be able to help, in judging if you would honestly gain anything from spending so much money on a new furnace.

So true. Have them do a draft test and smoke test as well as adjusting your electrodes and changing your nozzles. That will tell them and you a lot about the condition of your furnace and at what efficiency it is running at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
So true. Have them do a draft test and smoke test as well as adjusting your electrodes and changing your nozzles. That will tell them and you a lot about the condition of your furnace and at what efficiency it is running at.
It has been years since I last owned an oil fired furnace, I did not recall which tests they run. But those sound like the right ones.

I have listened to the salesmen, and they would have you buying a new furnace every year.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:27 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Forest, are you using all wood?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Forest, are you using all wood?
No.

We burn woodchips and cardboard, newspapers and empty feed bags, peatmoss and coal, logs of rolled newspaper soaked in kerosene.

And sometimes we burn the hair off your knuckles.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:58 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

And sometimes we burn the hair off your knuckles.
I guess that's the sort of fire my friend K's family inlaws used to call a "people cooker"? LOL

Be glad for the hair... it saves the skin a bit, no doubt. Not having hairy nuckles...

Old 01-04-2008, 06:30 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpurvis View Post
That is what I was wondering. Since they don't have the heat like we do here, the electrical bill has to be less than what I pay here in florida. so maybe just the winter months are when it is the highest??? Here's hoping.
JP... You are pretty much just trading the electric bills for the heating costs. I have lived both places and in Maine you can at least help the bill by useing wood if possible and layer, layer, layer!!! Down here you really can't not us your air conditioner. "THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH YOU CAN TAKE OFF before the neighbors complain

Old 01-04-2008, 08:37 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
Thanks, msina, I will try Morin's. Maine Writer, we don't have an alternative source of heat. I think what we are going to do is have a new furnace installed. Energy efficiency is a good thing. We keep it pretty warm in here most of the time (70), and I am sure our current furnace drinks the kerosene with wild abandon.
We had a propane furnace installed the week of Christmas. $4,500 for everything including taking out the old #2 oil tank and the furnace. Good thing we opted for a backup this year because the furnace as badly cracked. The furnace is back up only.

If we paid for our firewood it would cost us $750 a year to heat the house. not including the cost of the woodstove or the oil and gas for the chainsaw and splitter. That's maybe $30 more.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
I can say that I have a new understanding of the "frugal Mainers" way of life and the reasons for it. I've grown up in an area with so much of an "all things are disposable" attitude. I was even thinking the other day that I may have to learn to darn socks and things that I would ordinarily just toss when they get little holes in them. When I think of all the money we waste every month on unneccesary spending....... We will have to learn to say no a lot more often, and remember it may mean the difference between heating oil and NONE!

Grandma always says, "Waste not, want not!" The revelation is hitting me!!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 AM

175 posts, read 420,188 times
You got that right Abby, when people here complain about it being to cold cause of the a/c, i always tell them, hey you can bundle up, but I can take off. So grab a sweater.
Well that is nice to know, I was a little panic-stricken with the 900+ bill for just a month.
I am sure it will all equal out one way or another. And thanks byland for the info you gave. Helped me too.
I am pretty hot natured, but I don't know about when it is THAT COLD. I am sure I will not be complaining about being hot at all.....

Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
I think 75* is the perfect temp. When it hits 80* I get uncomfortable unless it's not humid. 90*, pretty sure I'm dying. 95*, sure I died and am burning in hell. Steve's asked if I got hot when I was something in particular. It took me a while to figure out that he was noticing where I started stripping and leave clothes behind. I like it warm in the house. It's toasty now that the sun is out and the fire is going good again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine